Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centerlock wheel swap...surprises (4)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 10:29 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Centerlock wheel swap...surprises (4)

"A fellow GTS owner and I committed to getting the job. First step, get the proper tools. You can go conventional with a monster breaker bar amd torque wrench, or you can keep it simple with a RENNtorq device....The monster torque wrench breaker bar is about $500, the RENNtorq is about $2,200. My buddy and I split the cost of the RENNtorq. Good god, what a beautiful tool. Now, all I would need was a standard 1/2 " torque wrench. Just to be safe, in the event I ever needed a monster 1/2" breaker bar, I bought one on Amazon for under for under $100.

Brought the monster bar along, hoping we wouldn't need it: We did. The wheels were so damn tight, the RENNtorq could not break them loose. Out comes the 48" breaker bar, with an extension for more leverage, and did we ever need it. For whatever reason, each wheel required an estimated 700 lb-ft. or > of torque to break them loose, far in excess of the 440 lb-ft. Factory spec. It took about three tries on each wheel to break them loose. Once was so tight that it took both of us leaning on the bar to get it loose. Once loose, we used the RENNtorq to finish the job. One could conclude that the RENNorq was unable to do its job....this is not the case, the wheels were simply on way too tight. The wheels did have 7 recent sessions at the track, maybe that incremental heat caused the problem? Were they over-torqued by my wrench at my Independent shop? I should hope not; they deal with centerlocks all the time in their shop and at the track. I don't want to worry about why it happened; I just don't want to have to deal with this dilemma again.

We later confirmed that the RENNtorq does perform as advertised. After installing all 4 wheels, torqued to Factory specs with RENNtorq, I noticed that we had inadvertently reinstalled one to the track tires/wheels. Put the RENNtorq on that wheel, and easily broke it loose, in a matter of minutes the track wheel was off, and the correct street wheel was placed on the hub. Engaged the RENNtorq, and it worked flawlessly. In the future, I won't be needing that 4' breaker bar. And the best part is I now have the tools to do a wheel swap on my own, and won't need any help, at least that's the plan. On the next wheel swap, I will know that they have been cinched down with the proper torque. And one other note, I do have a set of JackPoint jack stands...their design and function do inspire confidence. They sure came in handy.

Textron 3/4" X 40" Breaker Bar, <$100 on Amazon

My buddy with the RENNtorq mounted up.

Last edited by Martin S.; 07-17-2022 at 02:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Martin S.:
isugoo (07-20-2022), RENNtorq (07-18-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 11:19 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 289 Posts

Very curious to know how they ended up so tight.

What are the consequences of using +175% the tq needed?
Old 07-17-2022, 11:57 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

that seems very difficult. what is the benefit of centerlocks over 5 lugs?
Old 07-17-2022, 12:19 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Thanks Martin for reminding me why I purposely avoided CL on my car.

Related side story: I went to take off my 5-lug wheels last year to clean the barrels. Really struggled to break the lug nuts on the front wheels - they were clearly waaaaay over-torqued. Called the dealer and told him I wanted the wheels examined to make sure no damage had been done. He instructed me to bring my breaker bar with me. Car goes into the shop, then the lead mechanic comes out to tell me that the problem was my breaker bar. The same breaker bar I have been using for the last 20+ years. Right. Surely they couldn’t have been over-torqued.

DaveGee

Last edited by DaveGee; 07-17-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:56 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 266 Posts

Centre locks sure do look cool, but man, they sound like a huge PIA!
Old 07-17-2022, 01:44 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

When the fastener is torqued, the torque is measured while the wrench is moving. I would expect breakaway to be significantly higher but agree this seems crazy.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:34 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Very curious to know how they ended up so tight. Me too, I haven't talked to my Independent on this, don't want to get my worker bee in trouble, in the event he over torquedthe center locks.

[/QUOTE] What are the consequences of using +175% the tq needed?[/QUOTE] Over torqueing the center lock? Good question....the RENNtorq has a limitation as to how much torque may be applied...I can get that number, will post up soon. When you torque the wheels down with the RENNtorq, set the torque wrench to 95 Lb-Ft. the device then mutiplies the torque to 440. lb. - ft.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:51 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
"A fellow GTS owner and I committed to getting the job. First step, get the proper tools. You can go conventional with a monster breaker bar amd torque wrench, or you can keep it simple with a RENNtorq device....The monster torque wrench breaker bar is about $500, the RENNtorq is about $2,200. My buddy and I split the cost of the RENNtorq. Good god, what a beautiful tool. Now, all I would need was a standard 1/2 " torque wrench. Just to be safe, in the event I ever needed a monster 1/2" breaker bar, I bought one on Amazon for under for under $100.

Brought the monster bar along, hoping we wouldn't need it: We did. The wheels were so damn tight, the RENNtorq could not break them loose. Out comes the 48" breaker bar, with an extension for more leverage, and did we ever need it. For whatever reason, each wheel required an estimated 700 lb-ft. or > of torque to break them loose, far in excess of the 440 lb-ft. Factory spec. It took about three tries on each wheel to break them loose. Once was so tight that it took both of us leaning on the bar to get it loose. Once loose, we used the RENNtorq to finish the job. One could conclude that the RENNorq was unable to do its job....this is not the case, the wheels were simply on way too tight. The wheels did have 7 recent sessions at the track, maybe that incremental heat caused the problem? Were they over-torqued by my wrench at my Independent shop? I should hope not; they deal with centerlocks all the time in their shop and at the track. I don't want to worry about why it happened; I just don't want to have to deal with this dilemma again.

We later confirmed that the RENNtorq does perform as advertised. After installing all 4 wheels, torqued to Factory specs with RENNtorq, I noticed that we had inadvertently reinstalled one to the track tires/wheels. Put the RENNtorq on that wheel, and easily broke it loose, in a matter of minutes the track wheel was off, and the correct street wheel was placed on the hub. Engaged the RENNtorq, and it worked flawlessly. In the future, I won't be needing that 4' breaker bar. And the best part is I now have the tools to do a wheel swap on my own, and won't need any help, at least that's the plan. On the next wheel swap, I will know that they have been cinched down with the proper torque. And one other note, I do have a set of JackPoint jack stands...their design and function do inspire confidence. They sure came in handy.

Yeah, your shop no doubt botched it. You can't trust any mechanics these days: always double check their work: I do most work myself, and the few times I take it to the dealer or a highly respected indy race shop that deals with mostly Porsche, they botch something. . . although now I remind them that they have botched things in the past, and specifically say that I need this done properly, so they don't put the newbie on the job.
Will the torque affect the wheels? Probably not, but perhaps. . .
Old 07-17-2022, 03:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
Centre locks sure do look cool, but man, they sound like a huge PIA!
They are a pain in the *** the first time you go through the process. I can imagine the next time I swap out wheels it will be a cinch. One chore that must be done, the wheel mounting surfaces, etc. need to be properly lubricated, with Castrol MolubAlloy Wheel Grease, not too little, not too much. Specifics on the techniques and the areas to be lubed, are on previously published strings. Another indespensible tool is the Wheel Alignment Tool that is applied to the hub once the centerlock nut has been removed. It simply allows the wheel to be readily slipped off and then remounted . It will save your back. From another Rennkister, "Try messaging or searching for "SmokinGTS". I bought my tool through him. Can't recall the price, but I think it was under $200." I just don't want to think of changing wheels without this wheel alignment tool. I almost convinced myself that this 20" wheels are not heavy, almost!!

My pal that helped me with the initial wheel swap, thinks that post first swap experience , he can do it in about the same time that you can do a 5 lug swap. The first time will take longer. The only way center locks can defeat you is in your head....the job is a lot easier that on would think. You can also do one corner of the car at a time (I know, Porsche Zervice says all wheels need to be off the ground, easy for them to say when they have a lift) . We did one corner at a time this past weekend...noting., THE INDIVIDUAL WHEEELS WERE ALWAYS OFF THE GROUND WHEN THE TORQUE WAS APPLIED, COMING OFF AND MOIUNTING UP.

If you want to make the job even easier, and quicker, have two torque wrenches, one set to 155 lb ft to break the wheel loose, and the other set to 95 lb. ft. to torque them down. I just happen to have 2 torque wrenches, an older SnapOn and a new one from Harbor Freight.

Going to do another wheel swap, street wheels to track wheels in a few about a month. I can hardly wait.......believe it or not....

Last edited by Martin S.; 07-17-2022 at 03:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Martin S.:
911BOSS (07-17-2022), Wolpertinger (07-20-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 03:33 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by WP0
Yeah, your shop no doubt botched it. You can't trust any mechanics these days: always double check their work: I do most work myself, and the few times I take it to the dealer or a highly respected indy race shop that deals with mostly Porsche, they botch something. . . although now I remind them that they have botched things in the past, and specifically say that I need this done properly, so they don't put the newbie on the job.
Will the torque affect the wheels? Probably not, but perhaps. . .
Thank the gods for forged wheels, they are pretty tough....
Old 07-18-2022, 02:31 PM
RENNtorq
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks for the review Martin - now that everything is well lubricated and on at the proper torque you should be good to go.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:16 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Thank the gods for forged wheels, they are pretty tough....
Suspect the wheels should be fine, but would be worried about the fasteners / hub assembly.

Thanks for sharing, always good to read teaching moments.

Old 07-19-2022, 03:34 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

So, $2200 to rotate your wheels/tires?

Yeah - seriously, is there a better advertisement for lug bolts vs centerlock?

OK - quick ... what is the advantage of centerlock?

Sigh.
The following 2 users liked this post by RennListUser01:
BCgeorgia (07-20-2022), yobiwan (03-15-2023)
Old 07-19-2022, 04:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Whoops I must have screwed up some where on the cost to swap wheels, I have had it done for $130, then the next time ir was $175,

Track support where yoiu get 2 swaps per weekend, $330...and they will wash your windshield, and check your TPs out and back...I check my own, don't trust anybody, and you do have access to some table snacks. If anything breaks they will help you: Don't know that cost...nothing has broken yet.

The thing I realy like about changing out my wheels, I know it will be done as per Service recommendations, and torque applied will be spot on thanks to my RENNtorq. I can also stuff 2 JackPoint jack stands in my Frunk and a jack too. In my back seat I will also have my 4' breaker bar, just in case, and my SnapOn torque wrench on the rear floor.

Lastly, I receive no compensation or consideration. from JackPoint and RENNtorq; I just love these products...they have made my life simpler.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:37 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RennListUser01
So, $2200 to rotate your wheels/tires?

Yeah - seriously, is there a better advertisement for lug bolts vs centerlock?

OK - quick ... what is the advantage of centerlock?

Sigh.
Lighter than regular nuts, less unsprung weight. Or so I have read.

Quick Reply: Centerlock wheel swap...surprises (4)