Sponsored by:

Brake service/squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 04:54 PM
Lippy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Brake service/squeal

Hi there. I'm a new member with a recently purchased 2012 991S Cab. Yes, I searched several forums but didn't find exactly the information I needed.

This car has all of the dealer service records. The brakes were replaced (rotors and pads) at 27k miles (I have 52k miles now). The fluid was also flushed recently at the dealer. At the most recent service, the pads measured at 7mm front and 5mm rear. *Sometimes* they squeal like mothers. I mean *loud,* embarrassing. I tried a few hard stops and it solved the problem for a bit, but it seems to come back intermittently. Since I don't have that much wear left on these pads, I want to fix this properly. I also should mention that the brakes stop pretty well, but they don't seem to be as good as my C7 Grand Sport, and maybe they should be.

My questions are:
1 - Are pads with more wear and less friction material left more likely to squeal? I've read that may be true
2 - The rotors have a slight lip but the wear indicators on the rotors indicate they are good. But, as you can see in the photo below, there seem to be concentric grooves, and I'm not sure if that's normal, and if it requires replacement. Can I reuse them for another cycle as long as they aren't warped?
3 - If I reuse the rotors, can I just deglaze them with emery cloth and clean them carefully?
3 - If I reuse the rotors, do I just need: pads, sensors, anti-squeal grease, and caliper bolts? Do I need to replace the anti-rattle clips or can I reuse them? Anything else?

As I mentioned, I want to do this properly, but it would good if I didn't have to replace the rotors unnecessarily. Any guidance is appreciated, as I'm new to these cars, though not new to brake jobs.

Last edited by Lippy; 07-04-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:57 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Brake squeal is normal on these, welcome to a 911. It actually says this in your owner's manual.

Your pads are well within service limits. If you have to replace parts, you can just do a pad slap (inclusive of single-use bolt replacement and the like) and a couple hard stops to bed them in and you'll be fine. To be clear, by "fine" I mean "exactly where you are right now."
Old 07-04-2022, 07:00 PM
TomiK
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

For what it's worth, I just had the pads replaced by the dealer on a CPO car that had horrible squeal, even when the brakes weren't applied. They had around the same thickness left as yours. Dealer didn't replace the rotors. I'm on 27000 miles, 2017 S.

I would replace all the hardware as the other bits are cheap, although when I did my Boxster brakes I reused everything.
​​
Old 07-04-2022, 07:47 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 433 Posts

Does anyone take their 911 on long trips? Replacing brakes at 27K seems a little lite.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:59 PM
z168
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

*I have red caliper envy*

Mine are like pink
Old 07-04-2022, 10:27 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Lippy
Hi there. I'm a new member with a recently purchased 2012 991S Cab. Yes, I searched several forums but didn't find exactly the information I needed.

This car has all of the dealer service records. The brakes were replaced (rotors and pads) at 27k miles (I have 52k miles now). The fluid was also flushed recently at the dealer. At the most recent service, the pads measured at 7mm front and 5mm rear. *Sometimes* they squeal like mothers. I mean *loud,* embarrassing. I tried a few hard stops and it solved the problem for a bit, but it seems to come back intermittently. Since I don't have that much wear left on these pads, I want to fix this properly. I also should mention that the brakes stop pretty well, but they don't seem to be as good as my C7 Grand Sport, and maybe they should be.

My questions are:
1 - Are pads with more wear and less friction material left more likely to squeal? I've read that may be true
2 - The rotors have a slight lip but the wear indicators on the rotors indicate they are good. But, as you can see in the photo below, there seem to be concentric grooves, and I'm not sure if that's normal, and if it requires replacement. Can I reuse them for another cycle as long as they aren't warped?
3 - If I reuse the rotors, can I just deglaze them with emery cloth and clean them carefully?
3 - If I reuse the rotors, do I just need: pads, sensors, anti-squeal grease, and caliper bolts? Do I need to replace the anti-rattle clips or can I reuse them? Anything else?

As I mentioned, I want to do this properly, but it would good if I didn't have to replace the rotors unnecessarily. Any guidance is appreciated, as I'm new to these cars, though not new to brake jobs.

You didn’t address the most important aspect of brake squeal: what type of brake pads do you have? OEM pads made by Textar generally shouldn’t squeal, but racing pads, especially those by Pagid, will squeal like pigs…
Old 07-04-2022, 11:06 PM
Lippy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

They were done at the dealer, so I’m assuming they are stock pads, and I’m assuming they replaced the rotors.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:13 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

My questions are:

with respect to your other questions: rotors are fine; just replace pads and caliper bolts, and sensors. I’ve never use anti squeal grease, or deglazed the rotors: just bed the new pads in properly.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:44 PM
desking101
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I had horrible squealing from my rear brakes, and the pads still had some life left in them. I replaced my pads with ebc red stuff and rotors with porsche OEM and now it's silent
Old 07-05-2022, 12:00 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by z168
*I have red caliper envy*

Mine are like pink
Were they painted at one time? The OEM finish is pretty indestructible.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:01 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Don't know why it posted twice.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:13 AM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

My questions are:

Are all wheels squealing? I had one rear wheel start squealing out of the blue after a few months of me replacing rotors/pads. I reapplied anti squeal especially on the retaining clip and it went away. This was a couple of months ago. I do hear a slight squeal but it is quite rare now.

Last edited by Ark20; 07-05-2022 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:39 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 460 Posts

moine squeal only after i wash it and dont drive it immediately, goes away after some driving
Old 07-05-2022, 09:16 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Rotors have nothing to do with squeal

Oem pads correctly installed should never squeal. I use frozen rotors and oem pads for enthusiastic street no driving sound and stops quickly. Heavy dust. Others have said you can have no noise and less dust by running a non oem pad but I have not tried.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:13 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Oem pads correctly installed should never squeal.
If this is true it's very odd that both the owners manual and any SA at the dealer say "yeah they squeal that's normal"

Anecdotal evidence on rennlist also seems to agree that these brakes squeal.

Quick Reply: Brake service/squeal