Sponsored by:

Brake service/squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 11:28 AM
Lippy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
If this is true it's very odd that both the owners manual and any SA at the dealer say "yeah they squeal that's normal"

Anecdotal evidence on rennlist also seems to agree that these brakes squeal.
I could see a small amount of squeal being normal. What I have isn’t. You may be able to hear it in the next state. People stare.

Last edited by Lippy; 07-05-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:31 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Lippy
I could see a small amount of squeal being normal. What I have isn’t. You may be able to hear it in the next state. People stare.
Ahh, sounds like race pads.

Or a rock. Or your retainer clip fell out.

Either way, yeah, abnormal. My brakes squeal only if I'm lightly braking at low speeds... so, creeping in reverse into the garage, in parking lots, etc.. That's the totally normal stuff I'm talking about.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:07 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Oem pads correctly installed should never squeal.
This is not correct. Just spreading knowledge. Here is a video from Porsche explaining brake squeal. It's normal, irritating to many, and happens more on some cars than others.

Old 07-05-2022, 01:33 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Whenever my rear brakes start to squeal it's my reminder that I'm driving the car too gently.
The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (07-05-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 01:16 AM
Lippy
Advanced

This seems a little bit strange to me, but the rotor wear indicators are clearly visible on the front rotors, but they are not at all on the rear ones. I know about PTV, but could the indicators on the rear rotors be *completely* gone? If so, do you think it's ok to replace just the rear rotors, or should I just go for all four?

Thanks again for all of the good responses.

Edit: On the FCP site, the photos of the rear rotors don't have the wear indicators (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...ro-99635240602), but the front ones do (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...ro-99135140401). Like mine. I guess I'll measure the thickness because it isn't clear which rotors have them and which don't.

Last edited by Lippy; 07-06-2022 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:55 AM
mangu
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

All the its normal stuff is true, but that you have to live with it is not true!

Here's my experience: stock oem brakes and brake pads. Started squealing like crazy at just one year old (about 8K miles and half a dozen Autocross)...Replaced with Gyros and Ferodo DS3.12 pads and squeal continued with the brand new setup.

The hard braking, or properly bedding pads works for a brief period of time, but squeal returns.

Hate myself for waiting another year before doing a search on google and followed the video below, even used the same exact two products cleaner and lube. Squeal gone! And its been 1 year already.

You are welcome!
Old 07-07-2022, 01:19 AM
Lippy
Advanced

Originally Posted by mangu
All the its normal stuff is true, but that you have to live with it is not true!

Here's my experience: stock oem brakes and brake pads. Started squealing like crazy at just one year old (about 8K miles and half a dozen Autocross)...Replaced with Gyros and Ferodo DS3.12 pads and squeal continued with the brand new setup.

The hard braking, or properly bedding pads works for a brief period of time, but squeal returns.

Hate myself for waiting another year before doing a search on google and followed the video below, even used the same exact two products cleaner and lube. Squeal gone! And its been 1 year already.

You are welcome!
https://youtu.be/ZVZI784Y-Jg
Thanks! But yikes, he put a lot of grease on those pads. I'd worry that the excess grease would get on the pad faces and rotors.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:51 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default If you buy oem pads and frozen rotors

They will not sqeal. The SA who probably has no specific skillset or education other than selling you stuff and making excuses for ****ty service. The owners manual says this probably for the GT cars that come with a pad having a different composite. I have owned multiple porsches over the last 30 years and never had a peep. Also, none of my other vehicles squeal. Same rotors pads and 4 or 6 pot technology functioning in the same way technically. If you have brakes that make noise on non track pads something is wrong.

If this is true it's very odd that both the owners manual and any SA at the dealer say "yeah they squeal that's normal"

Anecdotal evidence on rennlist also seems to agree that these brakes squeal.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:28 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
They will not sqeal. The SA who probably has no specific skillset or education other than selling you stuff and making excuses for ****ty service. The owners manual says this probably for the GT cars that come with a pad having a different composite. I have owned multiple porsches over the last 30 years and never had a peep. Also, none of my other vehicles squeal. Same rotors pads and 4 or 6 pot technology functioning in the same way technically. If you have brakes that make noise on non track pads something is wrong.
Unfortunately I have to disagree with you. Not only is it common knowledge that it's normal for these brakes to squeal (look at how many threads are about this and how everyone has the same answer), porsche themselves openly state that they squeal and that it is normal. Look up a few posts.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:43 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default You theory is disproven

By my reality and others who have chimed in. Whether you use grease ir some other product the back of the pad has to have the goop on it and the pad has to be non race (no metal on metal).

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you. Not only is it common knowledge that it's normal for these brakes to squeal (look at how many threads are about this and how everyone has the same answer), porsche themselves openly state that they squeal and that it is normal. Look up a few posts.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:09 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 576 Posts

Had 5 Porsches and only one that has squeaked is the GT3 like a delivery truck no matter what I did....hard braking, chamfering the pad edges, washing often, etc.....just luck of the draw as done GT3s are quiet....

Quick Reply: Brake service/squeal