Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unbelievable: Rear-ended 5 days after taking delivery of my 991 S Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 06:07 AM
frederik
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 113 Posts

So sad when this happens. I had just had the front bumper on my 996 resprayed when a lady backed into me in a parking lot. I saw her coming and honked the horn for a full second but she just continued. "Your car is so low!" ... Anyway, we exchanged details and it was 100% clear it was her fault. Got a quote from my indy (around $1300 for a new bumper) and then her husband called me and started to make up a story that he wasn't sure I wasn't going forward at that time, so it was well possible it wasn't her fault. In the end I had no choice but to settle for 50% of the cost. The fact that they tried to back out of their responsibility left me with a really sour feeling. Hopefully the girl will make it right with you though.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:53 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by frederik
So sad when this happens. I had just had the front bumper on my 996 resprayed when a lady backed into me in a parking lot. I saw her coming and honked the horn for a full second but she just continued. "Your car is so low!" ... Anyway, we exchanged details and it was 100% clear it was her fault. Got a quote from my indy (around $1300 for a new bumper) and then her husband called me and started to make up a story that he wasn't sure I wasn't going forward at that time, so it was well possible it wasn't her fault. In the end I had no choice but to settle for 50% of the cost. The fact that they tried to back out of their responsibility left me with a really sour feeling. Hopefully the girl will make it right with you though.
That is unfortunate.

Hence why front and rear dashcams, especially for parking lot incidents.

Too many liars out there. Funny how they change their story when you offer to send them video of the incident.
The following users liked this post:
320cap (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 02:23 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa;[url=tel:18135363
18135363[/url]]That is unfortunate.

Hence why front and rear dashcams, especially for parking lot incidents.

Too many liars out there. Funny how they change their story when you offer to send them video of the incident.
I’ve been thinking of dash cams for awhile now. Anything in particular you recommend?
Old 05-10-2022, 02:43 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by frederik
This is why you always call the police and get a report. I had a similar occurrence about 4 years ago. I literally got rear ended by a pedophile (not like that). He even had a backup camera and back right into me while I was sitting in a parking isle getting ready to move forward. After the police came and he admitted that it was his fault, he tried to make claim on my insurance. He alleged a neck injury. I told the adjuster for his insurance that the only way someone could have been injured in this accident was if they were standing between the cars at impact. They denied his claim. He did this even after knowing that I am a lawyer and after the Chief of Police for the city that occurred in came to the scene to make sure everything was on the up and up. People are scumbags. Most duck responsibility at every turn.

My wife recently backed into a lady in a parking structure, kiosk was inoperable. Wife failed to look at her back up camera. Minor scratch on lady's front bumper. I arrived, gave her my business card and allowed them to film me admitting to fault and promised to pay for the repair out of my own pocket if they would forgo making a claim. I gave them my insurance information also. They got an estimate, signed a release of liability and I paid for their repair. That is how it's supposed to happen.

I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.
The following 3 users liked this post by cutlass476:
ABNJOE (05-23-2022), barrett (05-10-2022), subwoofer (05-12-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 04:00 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by cutlass476
This is why you always call the police and get a report. I had a similar occurrence about 4 years ago. I literally got rear ended by a pedophile (not like that). He even had a backup camera and back right into me while I was sitting in a parking isle getting ready to move forward. After the police came and he admitted that it was his fault, he tried to make claim on my insurance. He alleged a neck injury. I told the adjuster for his insurance that the only way someone could have been injured in this accident was if they were standing between the cars at impact. They denied his claim. He did this even after knowing that I am a lawyer and after the Chief of Police for the city that occurred in came to the scene to make sure everything was on the up and up. People are scumbags. Most duck responsibility at every turn.

My wife recently backed into a lady in a parking structure, kiosk was inoperable. Wife failed to look at her back up camera. Minor scratch on lady's front bumper. I arrived, gave her my business card and allowed them to film me admitting to fault and promised to pay for the repair out of my own pocket if they would forgo making a claim. I gave them my insurance information also. They got an estimate, signed a release of liability and I paid for their repair. That is how it's supposed to happen.

I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.
You are an honest standup guy. Unfortunately, there are not many like you.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
ABNJOE (05-23-2022), barrett (05-10-2022), macanakey (05-11-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 05:10 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
I’ve been thinking of dash cams for awhile now. Anything in particular you recommend?
Blackvue 2 channel. DR900X-2CH

Has parking mode, never had an issue with the battery.

Footage is excellent, can upload to the cloud.

The following 2 users liked this post by thesaintusa:
ABNJOE (05-23-2022), Mike Murphy (05-11-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 07:41 PM
K C
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Blackvue would get my vote for dashcams too. Though I opted for DR750S as it was better clarity to read off license plates
Old 05-10-2022, 09:24 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

My facepalm car wreck story: I waited for a woman for an hour for our first date. Turns out, she went to the wrong sushi restaurant. I chose one near her home in Santa Monica but she mistakenly thought we were going to one in Malibu. An hour after our scheduled date, she arrived at the (wrong) sushi restaurant. On the way home from the aborted date, I was rear-ended in my GTS. Minor bumper damage, covered by her parent's insurance.

I'm sorry to hear that your car was damaged but I agree with the others. Get it fixed, get back on the road, and put a ton of miles on your new beauty!
barrett (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 05:31 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
My facepalm car wreck story: I waited for a woman for an hour for our first date. Turns out, she went to the wrong sushi restaurant. I chose one near her home in Santa Monica but she mistakenly thought we were going to one in Malibu. An hour after our scheduled date, she arrived at the (wrong) sushi restaurant. On the way home from the aborted date, I was rear-ended in my GTS. Minor bumper damage, covered by her parent's insurance.

I'm sorry to hear that your car was damaged but I agree with the others. Get it fixed, get back on the road, and put a ton of miles on your new beauty!

I assume no second date . . .
Old 05-11-2022, 09:36 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

No second chance for her.
ABNJOE (05-23-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 09:50 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

When you get it repaired, remember not to sign off on anything from her insurance company until you are fully satisfied.
It will be interesting to see how much your repairs will be.
FYI, it is normal and usual to get a separate payment for diminished value of up to half of the actual damages, I learned this from a gearhead friend, who is an adjuster for a well-known auto insurance company.
On a 991 Cab, you should get every penny of that 50%, because your 911's Carfax will carry that scar for the life of it.
ABNJOE (05-23-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 03:22 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by barrett
Thanks for the comments and empathy, everyone. I really do appreciate it. I have been pretty down about the whole thing. I think I’m going to get an estimate, talk to the girl about the repair costs, and see if she can pay out of pocket. I’d rather this not show up on Carfax, especially since it’s just a fender bender. But hell, everything is on the table, I suppose. What a bummer.

I know this won't help right now, but eventually it will. In the end it's just a car and no matter how pristine you keep it you are at risk to damage every time you take it out. The sooner that you can accept this and that it's out of your control, the sooner you can relax and just enjoy your car. It's all fixable no matter what happens.

I've always babied my cars and each and every one has been damaged in some way during use by someone else. It's quite remarkable how crappy most drivers are. It's just a fact of life. Don't cry, suck it up and enjoy your baby.

The other thing this philosophy allows you to do it when you're buying you can look at a car that may not have a pristine carfax and say, "oh look, a minor fender bender, no big deal because if it didn't happen before it's just a matter of time when it will happen in the future." This is liberating because it allows you to overlook the minor issues and pay less for a car that others might overlook when they buy their pristine car that is just waiting to get hit.

... it's all just a matter of perspective
The following 7 users liked this post by Wellardmac:
barrett (05-11-2022), fluid15 (05-17-2022), Mike Murphy (05-11-2022), Porsche911GTS'16 (05-12-2022), Porsche_nuts (05-11-2022), RP4S911 (05-12-2022), subwoofer (05-12-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-12-2022, 03:55 PM
frederik
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by cutlass476
This is why you always call the police and get a report.
I guess I had to learn that the hard way!
Old 05-13-2022, 09:06 AM
regajohn
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by oolor13
Sorry to hear about your accident, at least no one was hurt. Before you get that bumper repaired, you might want to read through this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html

There's a lot of expensive stuff in the rear ends of our cars, so it might be worth it in the long run to have a Porsche certified collision repair facility take a look first.

100% this !!!
Make sure the car is evaluated by a certified a Porsche certified repair facility.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:07 AM
regajohn
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by oolor13
Sorry to hear about your accident, at least no one was hurt. Before you get that bumper repaired, you might want to read through this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html

There's a lot of expensive stuff in the rear ends of our cars, so it might be worth it in the long run to have a Porsche certified collision repair facility take a look first.

100% this !!!
Make sure the car is evaluated by a certified a Porsche certified repair facility.
ABNJOE (05-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Unbelievable: Rear-ended 5 days after taking delivery of my 991 S Cabriolet