Sponsored by:

Porsche recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 11:25 AM
PorscheC2S
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Porsche recall

So my local Porsche dealer decided to go ahead without asking me to do the recall that Porsche is doing on the Sport Crono packaged cars. Any action you think I can take?
Old 03-30-2022, 11:52 AM
Dieter2
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheC2S
So my local Porsche dealer decided to go ahead without asking me to do the recall that Porsche is doing on the Sport Crono packaged cars. Any action you think I can take?
My local dealer asks me and I have told them to hold off for now. I think this also depends on your location / state for emissions reasons. I have seen on a bunch of previous posts that it has proven to be difficult to go back. If this happened to me, I would drive the car to see if i like it or hate the Sports+ change. I would probably just live with it unless I specifically told them no when I dropped off car.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:15 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 349 Posts

I had mine done and love it as Sports+ is now truly useable sporty option for driving. It shifts right about 3,800 RPM in the automatic mode to the next gear. If you step on it it will hold the gear for maximum acceleration. You will most likely get opposite opinions as well from many who are concerned about possible changes in performance, but I have not noticed any from the seat of my pants and doubt personally that there are any.
The following 2 users liked this post by shammerman:
PorscheC2S (03-30-2022), zabuch (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 01:48 PM
PorscheC2S
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieter2
My local dealer asks me and I have told them to hold off for now. I think this also depends on your location / state for emissions reasons. I have seen on a bunch of previous posts that it has proven to be difficult to go back. If this happened to me, I would drive the car to see if i like it or hate the Sports+ change. I would probably just live with it unless I specifically told them no when I dropped off car.

I don't drive in SPORT+ mode but I do in SPORT and from the feel of it there is no performance difference BUT it did take away the burble I had. I have a full SOUL exhaust with high flow cats and the burble was awesome but now it's only when I'm on it hard do you hear it. From that perspective I'm really bummed but from a performance perspective there is no change....at least that I can tell/feel.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:12 PM
na4life
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheC2S
I don't drive in SPORT+ mode but I do in SPORT and from the feel of it there is no performance difference BUT it did take away the burble I had. I have a full SOUL exhaust with high flow cats and the burble was awesome but now it's only when I'm on it hard do you hear it. From that perspective I'm really bummed but from a performance perspective there is no change....at least that I can tell/feel.
I thought it was gone too but it’s not. It’s just that now you only get burble once the exhaust is quite hot. Drive it hard and then you’ll see you’ll get the crackles and pops afterwards even if gentle on the throttle.
The following 3 users liked this post by na4life:
991_T (03-30-2022), PorscheC2S (03-30-2022), shammerman (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 07:43 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 156 Posts

What exactly was the recall for? How did it effect the cars?
Old 03-30-2022, 07:44 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

I unfortunately missed all the details around what exactly is done to correct the sport chrono-sports + recall?

Sounds like there are a lot of options too. This was only for .1 correct?
Old 03-30-2022, 07:47 PM
na4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
I unfortunately missed all the details around what exactly is done to correct the sport chrono-sports + recall?

it is only for 991.1 PDK models with sport chrono. It addresses too high emissions in sport+ mode. Basically what it changes is now Sports+ does what it does on 991.2 models… it will upshift before redline unless you’re at wide open throttle. It’s more like a more aggressive sports mode now. It still dynos the same but if you want redline shifts make sure the pedal is all the way to the metal.
The following 2 users liked this post by na4life:
shammerman (03-30-2022), Viper1000 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:15 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by na4life
it is only for 991.1 PDK models with sport chrono. It addresses too high emissions in sport+ mode. Basically what it changes is now Sports+ does what it does on 991.2 models… it will upshift before redline unless you’re at wide open throttle. It’s more like a more aggressive sports mode now. It still dynos the same but if you want redline shifts make sure the pedal is all the way to the metal.
Awesome!! Not too shabby. Thank you.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:17 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 156 Posts

Makes me feel a whole lot better as I never drive the car in sport+ mode....sport mode for sure but not sport + as I don't feel there is a need for that unless doing a track day. Thanks for the explanation
Old 03-30-2022, 09:35 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...u-and-ecu.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1222...rt-chrono.html
Old 03-30-2022, 09:42 PM
Dieter2
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The Sport+ / Sports Chrono Recall is Porsche recall AMC0.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:22 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,488 Likes on 930 Posts

Please share your authority for the statement “it still dynos the same”. Neither Porsche or anyone else has yet to release any technical information concerning the changes which is concerning in and of itself. Porsche has released a one page letter written by lawyers about it. If you could please direct me to the “dyno comparison” for review, it could change my opinion. I would never consider an ECU tune (Cobb, Softronic, APR or Porsche) from anyone until I have a full technical explanation on what effect it has on my car throughout the rpm range. If Porsche wants me to install it, they need to explain it.

Last edited by Fullyield; 03-31-2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:08 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

It still dynos the same but if you want redline shifts make sure the pedal is all the way to the metal.
You've got dyno's?
-----------------------------
I have three points

1. If Sport+ shifts at the same points as Sport now, what is the point? Two sport modes that act the same?

2. 991.2 shift points aren't necessarily a good thing. The N/A motor behaves differently than the turbo motor. It makes very little torque at low rpm.

3. They reduced emissions without reducing power? Unless they have voodoo magic in Stuttgart, I find that hard to believe. Would love to see charts. I would bet it loses power mid-range at a minimum. Also why would they be flashing the ECU in addition to the TCU if it was just a TCU tune?

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 03-31-2022 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:22 PM
na4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
You've got dyno's?
-----------------------------
I have three points

1. If Sport+ shifts at the same points as Sport now, what is the point? Two sport modes that act the same?

2. 991.2 shift points aren't necessarily a good thing. The N/A motor behaves differently than the turbo motor. It makes very little torque at low rpm.

3. They reduced emissions without reducing power? Unless they have voodoo magic in Stuttgart, I find that hard to believe. Would love to see charts. I would bet it loses power mid-range at a minimum. Also why would they be flashing the ECU in addition to the TCU if it was just a TCU tune?
dyno’d my car (991.1 GTS) two months ago in preparation for sending it to DeMan for a 4.5L conversion. I don’t have the chart handy but peak power was still 390 at the wheels which is within 3WHP of when I got the car. Only exhaust mod is akrapovic exhaust.

Quick Reply: Porsche recall