Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7MT: GT4 vs Numeric Short Shifter, which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022 | 11:43 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Default 7MT: GT4 vs Numeric Short Shifter, which is best?

Hey everyone!

I have a 991.1 C2 7MT and I’d love to do a short shifter to clean up the play in the gearbox.

GT4 at GPP is $280

https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-gt-sports-short-shifter-lever-with-housing-981-982-991-98142401020

Numeric is $700

https://store.numericracing.com/products/short-throw-shifter-porsche-718-981-991

This is not a track car, but I’d like to know everyone’s personal experiences with both and advantages/disadvantages.

Thanks!

Last edited by 991.7mt; 03-12-2022 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2022 | 12:45 AM
WAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991.7mt
Hey everyone!

I have a 991.1 C2 7MT and I’d love to do a short shifter to clean up the play in the gearbox.

GT4 at GPP is $280

https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-...91-98142401020

Numeric is $700

https://store.numericracing.com/prod...he-718-981-991

This is not a track car, but I’d like to know everyone’s personal experiences with both and advantages/disadvantages.

Thanks!

I prefer the Numeric. It’s accurate tight and provides the appropriate feedback to help increase the situational awareness.

From an aesthetic and engineering perspective numeric is the way to go.

yes it’s a bit more expensive, but if it’s miles and smiles you’re after, you won’t regret it.

I run 1.5mm (softer spring) for an “OEM plus” feel.
Old 03-13-2022 | 10:25 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Gt4

I have the gt4 and am happy but can't speak to the numeric. Several people here have had both and seem to prefer the numeric. I wonder if thier use case is Street or Track.
Old 03-13-2022 | 10:56 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

I have the Numeric shifter and cables for street use. It is lightyears above the sloppy stock shifter that's made mostly of plastic. You can feel the Numeric is made from aluminum and steel.

We bought a manual transmission for a reason - driver interaction. The Numeric takes it to the next level. We are constantly interacting with the shifter.
Get their pedals too. Great grip and solid feel with no drilling.
The following 4 users liked this post by rugu6869:
acwild70 (03-16-2022), roketman (03-16-2022), Sarawnty (03-13-2022), The Ox (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022 | 11:04 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

I was planning on going the GT4 shifter route when I first got the 7MT. I had read and seen so many bad reviews about the 7MT over the years that I had almost no expectations. The OEM shifter seems so much nicer than I expected at first.

Just after a few drives I realized that although I could easily live with what others called the rubberiness and slop in the shifter, I simply could not deal with the vagueness and inaccuracy of the shifts in the top half of the pattern (1-3-5-7). Even when driving half spiritedly, at least with my average skills, I found the risk to do a money shift pretty high (due to the vagueness of Top gears).
From what I found out, the GT4 shifter was different only in length of shaft plus a more stiffer spring, but I was willing to give it a try.

While searching for a pre-owned GT4 shifter, I found a decent deal on a pre-owned Numeric and decided to give it a try.

The one I found had the 2mm stiffer spring, and after using this Numeric for about 500 miles, I am happy to report that I am glad I did not go with the Gt4 shifter. Although GT4 shifter would probably have been a worth while temporary upgrade, this numeric shifter is at another level in regards to accuracy and directness.
I dont track my car, no interested in Red-light-Grand-Prix (hence why I drive a slow NA GTS), and quick shifts aren't something I am looking for. What I do need is accurate upshifts and downshifts, especially when I have Sport Plus ON as even a slight inaccuracy near red line can result in an Over-Rev if you go anywhere near the "wrong" gear (with auto-blip ON) when driving aggressively through twisty roads.

If my less than track focus, less than street speed racer needs are met by the most aggressive option offered by Numeric, I suppose the Gt4 shifter would have been a let down for even a novice like me

Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
Watson (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022 | 12:19 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WAM
I prefer the Numeric. It’s accurate tight and provides the appropriate feedback to help increase the situational awareness.

From an aesthetic and engineering perspective numeric is the way to go.

yes it’s a bit more expensive, but if it’s miles and smiles you’re after, you won’t regret it.

I run 1.5mm (softer spring) for an “OEM plus” feel.

Did you get the cables too?
It’s funny, I’m a big OEM+ guy, which is why I gravitated toward the GT4 shifter.
I just don’t know if it’ll be aggressive enough for me.
im a “do it once, do it right” type of person.
Old 03-13-2022 | 12:20 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I have the gt4 and am happy but can't speak to the numeric. Several people here have had both and seem to prefer the numeric. I wonder if thier use case is Street or Track.
How much different does downshifting feel now?
Also, are the height and throws much shorter?
Old 03-13-2022 | 12:22 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rugu6869
I have the Numeric shifter and cables for street use. It is lightyears above the sloppy stock shifter that's made mostly of plastic. You can feel the Numeric is made from aluminum and steel.

We bought a manual transmission for a reason - driver interaction. The Numeric takes it to the next level. We are constantly interacting with the shifter.
Get their pedals too. Great grip and solid feel with no drilling.
I’m still deciding if the cables are necessary for $500 more + a couple hours of labor.
I had a SSK on my E46 M3 and it was amazing, so I definitely want that special feeling in this car.
Old 03-13-2022 | 12:26 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I was planning on going the GT4 shifter route when I first got the 7MT. I had read and seen so many bad reviews about the 7MT over the years that I had almost no expectations. The OEM shifter seems so much nicer than I expected at first.

Just after a few drives I realized that although I could easily live with what others called the rubberiness and slop in the shifter, I simply could not deal with the vagueness and inaccuracy of the shifts in the top half of the pattern (1-3-5-7). Even when driving half spiritedly, at least with my average skills, I found the risk to do a money shift pretty high (due to the vagueness of Top gears).
From what I found out, the GT4 shifter was different only in length of shaft plus a more stiffer spring, but I was willing to give it a try.

While searching for a pre-owned GT4 shifter, I found a decent deal on a pre-owned Numeric and decided to give it a try.

The one I found had the 2mm stiffer spring, and after using this Numeric for about 500 miles, I am happy to report that I am glad I did not go with the Gt4 shifter. Although GT4 shifter would probably have been a worth while temporary upgrade, this numeric shifter is at another level in regards to accuracy and directness.
I dont track my car, no interested in Red-light-Grand-Prix (hence why I drive a slow NA GTS), and quick shifts aren't something I am looking for. What I do need is accurate upshifts and downshifts, especially when I have Sport Plus ON as even a slight inaccuracy near red line can result in an Over-Rev if you go anywhere near the "wrong" gear (with auto-blip ON) when driving aggressively through twisty roads.

If my less than track focus, less than street speed racer needs are met by the most aggressive option offered by Numeric, I suppose the Gt4 shifter would have been a let down for even a novice like me

Hope this helps
That definitely helps! Did you get the cables as well? 1.5 inch or 2 inch? I’m definitely leaning toward numeric, just a really deciding if I need to spend the extra $500 plus labor for the cables
Old 03-13-2022 | 02:42 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

I have the GT4 shifter and it's more-or-less the same as stock, just shorter and requires more effort. It's mostly a waste of time and money.

Will go with the Numeric shifter and cables some day
Old 03-13-2022 | 03:04 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I have had both for 10's of thousands of street AND track driving. I even more recently added the cables too.

IMO SKIP the GT4 if the numeric shifter fits your budget. The GT4 shifter is built exactly like the stock shifter except for a shorter shaft for shift **** and an auto centering spring. It is a decent upgrade, but IMO the numeric shifter just takes it to the next level.

After a couple of years I added the cables, I actually took my chances and went with these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184333226041

They have been working perfect for over 2 years. And from what i can see, they are of similar if not equal quality to the Numeric Racing ones. I know other guys in the 997 forums have used this same brand with great results as well.
The cables just brought the shifting to that next level. But they do introduce come gear whine into the cabin so be prepared for that. I personally like it.

Old 03-13-2022 | 03:14 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Just after a few drives I realized that although I could easily live with what others called the rubberiness and slop in the shifter, I simply could not deal with the vagueness and inaccuracy of the shifts in the top half of the pattern (1-3-5-7).
I went through the same process, thought it was OK at first and now realizing the stock shifter does need to be improved .
Old 03-13-2022 | 03:25 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Joec500

After a couple of years I added the cables, I actually took my chances and went with these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184333226041
Stop costing me money
The following users liked this post:
Sarawnty (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022 | 03:59 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koala
I have the GT4 shifter and it's more-or-less the same as stock, just shorter and requires more effort. It's mostly a waste of time and money.

Will go with the Numeric shifter and cables some day
Ya it sounds like the GT4 SSK isn’t enough of an upgrade.
Appreciate it!
Old 03-13-2022 | 04:03 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
I have had both for 10's of thousands of street AND track driving. I even more recently added the cables too.

IMO SKIP the GT4 if the numeric shifter fits your budget. The GT4 shifter is built exactly like the stock shifter except for a shorter shaft for shift **** and an auto centering spring. It is a decent upgrade, but IMO the numeric shifter just takes it to the next level.

They have been working perfect for over 2 years. And from what i can see, they are of similar if not equal quality to the Numeric Racing ones. I know other guys in the 997 forums have used this same brand with great results as well.
The cables just brought the shifting to that next level. But they do introduce come gear whine into the cabin so be prepared for that. I personally like it.

Good to hear everyone saying the GT4 SSK isn’t worth the upgrade if you’re looking for something substantial.
I’m thinking Numeric 2” no cables.
I don’t want the additional noise.
Can always add them down the road.
Is yours 2”?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 7MT: GT4 vs Numeric Short Shifter, which is best?