Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7MT: GT4 vs Numeric Short Shifter, which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 05:30 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,016 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.7mt
That definitely helps! Did you get the cables as well? 1.5 inch or 2 inch? I’m definitely leaning toward numeric, just a really deciding if I need to spend the extra $500 plus labor for the cables

I am totally fine with the shifter alone, do not feel like it needs further improvement.

I have the 2mm spring

Cables are a much more bigger job and I just didn't do it out of laziness. Looking back now, I am totally OK with not having to do that extra work.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:41 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,216 Likes on 612 Posts

The only way you will figure this out for yourself is to find local people with each that you can try and see which you like the feeling of better. People’s opinions are so subjective, and most have only tried one or the other. Plus, people are often going to be excited and supportive of something they put their $ into doing, I’m just saying there is some inherent bias. Find locals that will meet up for a weekend cruise and let you sit in their car and feel the shifter. Even better if they let you drive it 😊
Old 03-13-2022, 06:23 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I am totally fine with the shifter alone, do not feel like it needs further improvement.

I have the 2mm spring

Cables are a much more bigger job and I just didn't do it out of laziness. Looking back now, I am totally OK with not having to do that extra work.
Ya I’m debating DIY’ing it but when you add the cables, no thanks haha.
Did you order right through their site?
Old 03-13-2022, 06:25 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MingusDew
The only way you will figure this out for yourself is to find local people with each that you can try and see which you like the feeling of better. People’s opinions are so subjective, and most have only tried one or the other. Plus, people are often going to be excited and supportive of something they put their $ into doing, I’m just saying there is some inherent bias. Find locals that will meet up for a weekend cruise and let you sit in their car and feel the shifter. Even better if they let you drive it 😊
I have actually found that some are more critical of something they spent their money on haha.
I know I am.
It definitely sounds like the Numeric 2” with no cables is the route I’m going to be most happy with long term.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:59 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Stop costing me money

That's one way to look at it....OR I just saved you money from finding an alternative of similar quality at half the price
Old 03-13-2022, 09:03 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Shifter feel is subjective I 100% agree. BUT the improvement in precision/ZERO play is not subjective from when I went from GT4 to Numeric Shifting. So if you like a more precision solid feel (also heavier) then numeric shifter provides that. If you are more finesse sorta feel and are ok with slightly less of a precision feel then the GT4 shifter is ideal. Some people actually prefer a lighter more flexible feel.

I prefer a heavier, direct, mechanical shifter feel.

The following users liked this post:
roketman (03-16-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 09:20 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 494 Posts

I have the 2mm spring

This is exactly my situation. However, I could see myself potentially one day doing the cables but that is low on the list of things to do. Very low.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:33 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey everyone!

I have a 991.1 C2 7MT and I’d love to do a short shifter to clean up the play in the gearbox.

GT4 at GPP is $280

https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-...91-98142401020

Numeric is $700

https://store.numericracing.com/prod...he-718-981-991

This is not a track car, but I’d like to know everyone’s personal experiences with both and advantages/disadvantages.

Thanks!

I've had both. The GT4 was good, sat lower which I liked it but wasn't a "major" change. Replaced it with the Numeric shifter first, it was so good I added cables a few months later. There's no comparison. The Numeric shifter alone is excellent, adding the cables was transformational, for me. I know that term gets thrown around a lot, but it is. I have the 2mm, I love it on the street, even better at HPDE where I'm gradually climbing the class ladder. On the track it adds confidence, same on the street. For those who shoot, it is the veritable bolt action rifle confidence you get with a good firearm.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:52 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I have the 2mm spring

It's because ignorance is bliss The difference with the cables is the same level of improvement of the stock to numeric shifter. I DIY'd the cables with a friend and it was a HUGE pain for my first time, I bet I could do it MUCH quicker the second time around.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:55 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Another think mod to consider is a weighted Function first shift ****, I ran this for a bit until I replaced it with a custom made wooden ****, but that also changed the shifter feel quite a bit without any read added labor.

I think I still have mine somewhere, if you are interested I can try to find it in my storage.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:37 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
Another think mod to consider is a weighted Function first shift ****, I ran this for a bit until I replaced it with a custom made wooden ****, but that also changed the shifter feel quite a bit without any read added labor.

I think I still have mine somewhere, if you are interested I can try to find it in my storage.
That would be great!
I was just thinking about getting one.
The stick shift **** is so disappointing haha.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:12 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default To me it feels

Like how the car should have come. The only issue I had with the stock shifter is it felt too tall. It might be worth mentioning that the 7 speed is new muscle memory. Probably why some people dislike as generally speaking people resist change. ​​​​​​​
How much different does downshifting feel now?Also, are the height and throws much shorter?
Old 03-14-2022, 01:11 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
That's one way to look at it....OR I just saved you money from finding an alternative of similar quality at half the price
This is true. I probably owe you at least 2-3 luxury dinners at this point
The following users liked this post:
Joec500 (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 01:34 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 300 Posts

I have not driven a car with just the shifter without the cables.

I will note that the stock cables literally look like bicycle cables. They are puny compared to the Numeric cables.
I just went all in instead of doing something stepped or possibly leaving something on the table.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:35 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

For science, I'm going to install the aftermarket shift cables with the GT4 shifter to see how that feels before deciding on the Numeric shifter. I wonder if I'll be the first lunatic to do it backwards like this.

Quick Reply: 7MT: GT4 vs Numeric Short Shifter, which is best?