Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7MT: GT4 vs Numeric Short Shifter, which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022 | 01:55 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koala
For science, I'm going to install the aftermarket shift cables with the GT4 shifter to see how that feels before deciding on the Numeric shifter. I wonder if I'll be the first lunatic to do it backwards like this.
I like this idea, keep us posted
Old 03-14-2022 | 02:08 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

For science, I'm going to install the aftermarket shift cables with the GT4 shifter to see how that feels before deciding on the Numeric shifter. I wonder if I'll be the first lunatic to do it backwards like this.
@polobai ???
Old 03-14-2022 | 02:13 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by Joec500
Another think mod to consider is a weighted Function first shift ****, I ran this for a bit until I replaced it with a custom made wooden ****, but that also changed the shifter feel quite a bit without any read added labor.
Agreed. I had the FF aluminum **** first, just stock shifter for 3 years. On its own it gives a bit lower position. I too couldn't decide between the stock SSK and Numeric.

I finally bit the bullet and went Numeric--and put the old shift **** on, because I like the look of stock. But to me it felt kind of meh. I could feel the plastic involved. Tried to get used to it but after a week I put the FF aluminum **** back on--and boom so good. Having plastic in the chain hurts the feel, and there is no weight to the stock shifter. The weight really makes the whole experience, and the solidness of it. I don't mean to say you need the FF ****, but if you can get something with more weight and a metal to metal connection to the shifter shaft, that's another upgrade.

As for value, I'd say the Numeric is 2-3x better than the stock SSK option--and the price reflects that. At least it's a linear improvement relative to cost instead of diminishing returns. I'd put it right at the top of "smiles per dollar" you can invest in the car because every time you shift you get a smile. And if it matters you can get almost all your money back by selling it later if you don't want it for any reason.
Old 03-14-2022 | 02:20 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Agreed. I had the FF aluminum **** first, just stock shifter for 3 years. On its own it gives a bit lower position. I too couldn't decide between the stock SSK and Numeric.

I finally bit the bullet and went Numeric--and put the old shift **** on, because I like the look of stock. But to me it felt kind of meh. I could feel the plastic involved. Tried to get used to it but after a week I put the FF aluminum **** back on--and boom so good. Having plastic in the chain hurts the feel, and there is no weight to the stock shifter. The weight really makes the whole experience, and the solidness of it. I don't mean to say you need the FF ****, but if you can get something with more weight and a metal to metal connection to the shifter shaft, that's another upgrade.

As for value, I'd say the Numeric is 2-3x better than the stock SSK option--and the price reflects that. At least it's a linear improvement relative to cost instead of diminishing returns. I'd put it right at the top of "smiles per dollar" you can invest in the car because every time you shift you get a smile. And if it matters you can get almost all your money back by selling it later if you don't want it for any reason.

100% agree here, another "feel" related upgrade was installing a 991.2 GT4 steering wheel, the smaller diameter feel really changes the human to vehicle interface. People really under value contact points. My next upgrade I REALLY want is a porsche LWB, but the price hurts my butthole.

Old 03-14-2022 | 02:56 PM
Tangerine
Pro

100% agree here, another "feel" related upgrade was installing a 991.2 GT4 steering wheel, the smaller diameter feel really changes the human to vehicle interface. People really under value contact points. My next upgrade I REALLY want is a porsche LWB, but the price hurts my butthole.
991.2 GT3 I expect you meant. Also been thinking of doing at since I have an Alcantara wheel and everyone keeps saying it will get gross/disgusting. Do people not clean their wheels? Still happy with mine at 22K, in fact I'll replace it with an Alcantara one because I've been so happy with the material.
Old 03-14-2022 | 03:06 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Yep, steering wheel is still on my list, too. I just can't justify $2k for it, though. I don't mind the 991.1 sport steering wheel, but it is certainly looking a little bit dated. I really liked the newer wheel on my last Cayenne loaner.
Old 03-14-2022 | 03:34 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tangerine
991.2 GT3 I expect you meant. Also been thinking of doing at since I have an Alcantara wheel and everyone keeps saying it will get gross/disgusting. Do people not clean their wheels? Still happy with mine at 22K, in fact I'll replace it with an Alcantara one because I've been so happy with the material.
The 991.2 style steering wheel from the GT4. They were a little easier to find with no paddles and no multifunction I think it's the same wheels as the GT3 touring wheels too. I was able to find one for $900 so it was a no brainer. The bag was another $400-500 or so. I ended up selling my original bag and wheel for about the same price so it was mostly an even trade for me.

I use alcantara cleaner every 2-3 months and my wheel feels good as new. But I have seen wheels where guys never clean them....DISGUSTING

Last edited by Joec500; 03-14-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2022 | 12:37 AM
WAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991.7mt
Did you get the cables too?
It’s funny, I’m a big OEM+ guy, which is why I gravitated toward the GT4 shifter.
I just don’t know if it’ll be aggressive enough for me.
im a “do it once, do it right” type of person.
No, I didn’t upgrade the cables. And I’m happy I didn’t. I had a chance to drive a Spyder with the cables and shifter and felt it was too far from an OEM+ feel. It’s very notchy.
Old 03-18-2022 | 10:28 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Asking this here instead of a making a new Thread.

Those with Numeric or GT4, do you experience any Rev-Hang?

Ever since I installed numeric shifter, which is essence also shortens the shifting time, I have noticed some Rev-hang making me wish for a Lightweight Fly wheel

Wondering if others are noticing something similar?

Last edited by desmotesta; 03-19-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2022 | 10:01 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Gt4 shifter

Feels 100% OEM (which it is), no Rev hang.
Originally Posted by desmotesta
Asking this are instead of a making a new Thread. Those with Numeric or GT4, do you experience any Rev-Hang? Ever since I installed numeric shifter, which is essence also shortens the shifting time, I have noticed some Rev-hang making me wish for a Lightweight Fly wheel Wondering if others are noticing something similar?
​​​​​​​
Old 03-19-2022 | 11:52 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Asking this here instead of a making a new Thread.

Those with Numeric or GT4, do you experience any Rev-Hang?

Ever since I installed numeric shifter, which is essence also shortens the shifting time, I have noticed some Rev-hang making me wish for a Lightweight Fly wheel

Wondering if others are noticing something similar?
Rev hang or slipping clutch? I had something that felt like Rev hang before my new clutch went in with my new transmission last year. Haven't felt it once with the new clutch and transmission

I used to grind into 2nd from time to time as well, really was convinced I didn't know how to drive! Haven't experienced this once with the new parts.

I think the previous owner of this car didn't know how to rev match. I have the original clutch in a box in the garage, I should open it up and take some pics.
Old 05-26-2022 | 04:18 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Okay guys, just got my car back from the local indy. I installed aftermarket shift cables in conjunction with the GT4 short shifter that I already swapped out myself a few years ago.

A few things:
  1. The shifting feel is pretty damn good. It's much firmer and more direct
  2. I'm not sure the GT4 shifter is good enough now. It's definitely the weak link in the whole setup
  3. My god the gear whine is significant. I can't decide if I've ruined my car or not
I'm going to give this a chance to a) break-in and b) for me to get used to the new noise. It basically sounds like a rock constantly stuck in a rotor
Old 05-26-2022 | 05:01 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Okay guys, just got my car back from the local indy. I installed aftermarket shift cables in conjunction with the GT4 short shifter that I already swapped out myself a few years ago.

A few things:
  2. I'm not sure the GT4 shifter is good enough now. It's definitely the weak link in the whole setup
  3. My god the gear whine is significant. I can't decide if I've ruined my car or not
I'm going to give this a chance to a) break-in and b) for me to get used to the new noise. It basically sounds like a rock constantly stuck in a rotor
I love the gear whine! Also I know people wrap part of the cables in some type of rubber tubing to dampen some of that sound, did you do that?

I think the GT4 plastic shifter will flex or show it's flexiness with those cables. Too bad you are not in CA, I think you will like my setup. I also did the function first trans mount....You wanna hear gear noise LOL, but the further improved shifter feel is 100% worth it to me.
Old 05-26-2022 | 05:03 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

I love the gear whine! Also I know people wrap part of the cables in some type of rubber tubing to dampen some of that sound, did you do that?

I think the GT4 plastic shifter will flex or show it's flexiness with those cables. Too bad you are not in CA, I think you will like my setup. I also did the function first trans mount....You wanna hear gear noise LOL, but the throttle response and improved further improved shifter feel is 100% worth it to me.
I am tempted to fly down there just to drive your car, lol.

I didn't add the rubber tubing, but in retrospect, definitely should have. I think where the majority of the excess noise is coming from are the metal rod ends. I wonder if the Numeric rod ends are compatible with these Precision Works cables?
Old 05-26-2022 | 05:06 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

A few things:
I have both Numeric shifter & cables, love the whine, I dont think its too loud, and the shifter is excellent.

Last edited by The Ox; 05-26-2022 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 7MT: GT4 vs Numeric Short Shifter, which is best?