991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive rear tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021 | 11:08 PM
AdjEBITDA
AutoX

Normally I get 12-15k from the rears before it starts chording from the inside. Running MPS4S N0 tires.
Old 12-25-2021 | 12:27 AM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by Noproblemjoe
I cannot quite read the figures on the chart.could you make it larger. You are the only one so far with actual numbers. Thanks
The chart was a quick snapshot of the alignment of my Targa from a machine as I drove into a brand new Porsche dealership service center. I wasn't expecting it, but the large screen on the wall had a picture of my car and what the alignment measured. It works for all cars. From there we spoke about the roads, my rear tires wearing on the inside and what to try. For now, I went with the factory spec. Next summer, I'll look at the wear and make adjustments from there.
I went to the dealer as they had all new equipment and the alignment technician has thirty years of active racing under his belt. I had a lapse of thirty years since I was racing, so I am taking this methodically and listening to his advice. He really likes the new alignment technology that the dealership has now.
Old 12-25-2021 | 08:10 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

The rear tires in my 2018 C4S started showing cord after about 10 k miles. Michelins. Mostly backroad driving. Got two new rear tires. Fronts had 80% tread left.
Had it aligned to remove negative camber which was set at -2.5 degrees from the factory. The service technician set at -1.5, still within the specified range. Fronts were set at half a degree of negative camber. I do not notice any difference in handling but I drive mostly on public roads.

Last edited by subwoofer; 12-25-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2021 | 09:50 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I’ve had this happen twice, both times on AWD Pcars. First I run low pressures, 32 F x 34 R. I know this contributes to the wear along with weight over the rear wheels and possibly RWS also affecting.
I did have camber adjusted and moved to 33 F x 35 R and will see if this helps. I will not compromise ride and handling for a few thousand miles more of tire wear. But this issue is not uncommon.
Old 12-27-2021 | 02:29 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Default Right rear inner wear

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I’ve had this happen twice, both times on AWD Pcars. First I run low pressures, 32 F x 34 R. I know this contributes to the wear along with weight over the rear wheels and possibly RWS also affecting.
I did have camber adjusted and moved to 33 F x 35 R and will see if this helps. I will not compromise ride and handling for a few thousand miles more of tire wear. But this issue is not uncommon.

Same here, not adjusting anything. 10000 on this right rear. Discount tire paid 344 of the 511 price
With the 30k tread life warranty. What a deal. Customer service with a smile. Amazing fun for the $$$
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2021 | 03:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

What I'm learning here is lowering a 991.2 ≠ shorter tire life…necessarily.

Saw about the same mileage from the rears on two Carreras, and nearly 15,000 from the latest pair after a "normal" (street car) alignment. Timbo, that rear looks exactly like mine—a warning to all of us to keep an eye on the inside rears from time to time. They're tough to see with a 305 tucked so far under a rear-engined car—and that goes double for Sport PASM and lowered cars.
Old 12-27-2021 | 08:23 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Originally Posted by stout
What I'm learning here is lowering a 991.2 ≠ shorter tire life…necessarily.

Saw about the same mileage from the rears on two Carreras, and nearly 15,000 from the latest pair after a "normal" (street car) alignment. Timbo, that rear looks exactly like mine—a warning to all of us to keep an eye on the inside rears from time to time. They're tough to see with a 305 tucked so far under a rear-engined car—and that goes double for Sport PASM and lowered cars.

True about hard to spot and also something that can happen quick. My car had a full Dealer inspection about 2000 miles ago and tires were fine. I left the car in the driveway last night, (rarely do) and noticed the white ring from 100 feet away walking back from the mailbox and only because of the angle. The first thought was I picked up something on the tire. Took a photo and saw a pending disaster. New meat already mounted.
Old 12-28-2021 | 01:41 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
Same here, not adjusting anything. 10000 on this right rear. Discount tire paid 344 of the 511 price
With the 30k tread life warranty. What a deal. Customer service with a smile. Amazing fun for the $$$
For our cars the mileage warranty is only 15K unfortunately.

From Michelin:
Split Fitments Some vehicles come from the vehicle manufacturer with “split fitments” – meaning different sizes of tires on the front and rear axles. Because these tires cannot be rotated as recommended by Michelin, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will cover half the number of miles as the standard mileage warranty for that particular tire design.
Old 12-28-2021 | 02:26 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera

WHAT? Discount tire offers this? This might be the ultimate Tire Hack
Old 12-28-2021 | 02:42 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
WHAT? Discount tire offers this? This might be the ultimate Tire Hack
When I buy my tires through Discount tire store or web site I usually purchase the tire warranty/replacement certificate and its paid for itself a few times.
Old 12-28-2021 | 02:45 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Rear toe will cause the tie to constantly scrub and the inside will take a beating. Turn down rear toe and tire life will improve. I’ve done this myself.
The following users liked this post:
stellman (12-29-2021)
Old 12-28-2021 | 02:47 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
When I buy my tires through Discount tire store or web site I usually purchase the tire warranty/replacement certificate and its paid for itself a few times.
I am just surprised they will give a pro rated credit for something that's clearly NOT a tire defect, but rather a design in the car that causes that type of wear.
Old 12-28-2021 | 09:21 PM
Ronak Gorajia
Intermediate

Default Inner Rear wear + Americas Tire/Michelin Warranty claim

+1 on discount/America Tire. I had the same issue with the cords showing on the inner REARS after 7,000 miles. I was in disbelief. I called michelin and made a case # and took the car back to Americas tire co and with some measurements by the service rep and a phone call to the Michelin claims dept; they approved the claim and covered $700 of the replacement cost. I typically buy from other tire shops in So Cal due to the cost savings but at the time (May 2020); Americas tire had a rebate along with the purchase. I have to say going forward, I'll probably buy only from Michelin approved dealers due to the warranty coverage + being able to add on the additional replacement (puncture/tire/sidewall damage) coverage for such $$ tires.

Heres a pic.

If anyone has any alignment calibration settings they recommend that does not numb out the handling of the vehicle (911 gts RWD) but evens out the wear on the rears. I'd be happy to know!!

The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021 | 12:02 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ronak Gorajia
+1 on discount/America Tire. I had the same issue with the cords showing on the inner REARS after 7,000 miles. I was in disbelief. I called michelin and made a case # and took the car back to Americas tire co and with some measurements by the service rep and a phone call to the Michelin claims dept; they approved the claim and covered $700 of the replacement cost. I typically buy from other tire shops in So Cal due to the cost savings but at the time (May 2020); Americas tire had a rebate along with the purchase. I have to say going forward, I'll probably buy only from Michelin approved dealers due to the warranty coverage + being able to add on the additional replacement (puncture/tire/sidewall damage) coverage for such $$ tires.

Heres a pic.

If anyone has any alignment calibration settings they recommend that does not numb out the handling of the vehicle (911 gts RWD) but evens out the wear on the rears. I'd be happy to know!!

Wow there is a ton of tread still left behind.

I am down to the wear bars on my rear tires and my wear is even across the tire on stock alignment, but I was expecting similar wear based on what I have read here with inner wear.

Wonder how much variation exists between stock cars.

Old 12-29-2021 | 11:00 AM
d--
Instructor

I’m got a PDDC and SPASM car and a new set of rear tires from when I bought it. What settings do you all recommend? Pressures are 31\39.

Quick Reply: Excessive rear tire wear