Sponsored by:

tial plenum diy

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 02:37 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts
Default tial plenum diy

Hi guys is there a vidéo someone can share for a plenum diy on the 991.2 c platform ? Is it an easy mod to do?
Thx you
Old 11-18-2021, 03:12 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,247 Posts

I assume you're asking about the Y-pipe behind the throttle body? If so, that's not a trivial install as there almost no space back there, and there's a connection on the back of the wye that needs to be dealt with. If I recall correctly, the proper procedure for this installation is to lower the whole engine a couple inches to gain access. Tial's installation process should be more or less the same as the IPD plenum's process, as they are replacing the same part.

There are a few threads on this for the .1 and .2 out there. This one may or may not cover the part you're talking about -- https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1186...let-pipes.html
The following users liked this post:
blackcheetah (11-19-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 07:05 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Thx you i didint find a very good diy for the plenum manifold and it look like à pain to do this job...it would be great if TIAL give some instruction to install

Last edited by blackcheetah; 11-18-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:55 PM
Jtax05
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The tial plenum is straight forward install the worst part is the bottom connector. Turning the two connections on either side I used a flat tip screw driver and hammer to rotate them. Then turned by hand. The top compression fitting was fairly easy to remove. The second one on bottom is brutal. Two ways to go about it one you need to bend a set of pliers and weld a pulled tool to it or find one made for it or option two cut the plastic connector off the plenum with side cutters then put your regular release tool on it. I know sounds crazy but it works some people don’t have the means to modify tools. Install back on is simple both lines click on put rubber boots on. 4 bolts and o ring on plenum and finished. If any of this makes sense
Old 11-19-2021, 02:36 AM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jtax05
The tial plenum is straight forward install the worst part is the bottom connector. Turning the two connections on either side I used a flat tip screw driver and hammer to rotate them. Then turned by hand. The top compression fitting was fairly easy to remove. The second one on bottom is brutal. Two ways to go about it one you need to bend a set of pliers and weld a pulled tool to it or find one made for it or option two cut the plastic connector off the plenum with side cutters then put your regular release tool on it. I know sounds crazy but it works some people don’t have the means to modify tools. Install back on is simple both lines click on put rubber boots on. 4 bolts and o ring on plenum and finished. If any of this makes sense
thx so much for your review , is lowering the engine 2 -3inch risky? can made this install easeyer ?

Old 11-19-2021, 09:02 AM
Jtax05
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally I think it’s a horrible idea, it’s changeable if I was closer I would give you a hand or do it. Dealership quoted me 700-800 but I just did it my self
Old 11-19-2021, 11:40 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtax05
Personally I think it’s a horrible idea, it’s changeable if I was closer I would give you a hand or do it. Dealership quoted me 700-800 but I just did it my self
Do you notice any actual benefit from it? I was told by one of the guys at APR that installing plenum produced no discernible benefit when dyno testing their development 991T, but I reserve judgment without driving one myself. What can you tell us about it?
Old 11-19-2021, 11:45 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Do you notice any actual benefit from it? I was told by one of the guys at APR that installing plenum produced no discernible benefit when dyno testing their development 991T, but I reserve judgment without driving one myself. What can you tell us about it?
Anecdotally people say it makes a huge difference. IPD or Tial or whoever has claimed 30-40 horsepower from this part alone.

What I understand of fluid dynamics and ICE tuning heavily disagrees with these claims. My understanding of Porsche R&D also makes me skeptical that 30-40hp was left on the table from a single point of alleged restriction in the intake, but people also claimed 25 horsepower from headers on a 964 so who actually knows.

Bottom line is there has been no empirical evidence (that I have seen or found, at least) that this single mod makes any significant difference on an otherwise stock engine.

Now, coupled with a bunch of other mods (like larger turbos, larger charge piping, larger intake piping, larger exhaust, more boost, better tune, etc etc etc) I could see this making a difference. Certainly not 30-40 horsepower though, at least not until you're already in 900+ horsepower territory and those diameters are actually becoming a restriction to the 38psi you're cramming through them.
mc3456 (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 11:59 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Knew I had seen a video on a plenum install and dropping the engine, here it is:
It's on a 991.1, don't know if very different
Bonne chance!
Old 11-19-2021, 11:59 AM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

if your on stock turbo and oem tune i would not buy this mod first, but im actualy on Tial m800 turbo and full BO exept the plenum not install yet but yes i beleive that my setup will botleneck at 30psi+ on oem plenum

Last edited by blackcheetah; 11-19-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:02 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dannyss
Knew I had seen a video on a plenum install and dropping the engine, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gr7yc4yp1M
It's on a 991.1, don't know if very different
Bonne chance!
Thx I saw this vid but its not the same engine..
Old 11-19-2021, 01:51 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcheetah
if your on stock turbo and oem tune i would not buy this mod first, but im actualy on Tial m800 turbo and full BO exept the plenum not install yet but yes i beleive that my setup will botleneck at 30psi+ on oem plenum
Currently, have stock C4S turbos with APR Stage 1 tune, Akrapovic 200 cell sport cats and their Ti exhaust. Deciding whether to upgrade to the GTS turbos with APR Stage 3 tune, TiAL intake pipes, turbo inlets, & headers...or just trade car for something else. Was told by APR the intercoolers and plenum matter less vs the other items.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:10 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 643 Posts

Currently, have stock C4S turbos with APR Stage 1 tune, Akrapovic 200 cell sport cats and their Ti exhaust. Deciding whether to upgrade to the GTS turbos with APR Stage 3 tune, TiAL intake pipes, turbo inlets, & headers...or just trade car for something else. Was told by APR the intercoolers and plenum matter less vs the other items.
When you start to push decent power, the intercoolers are everything.

BGB Motorsport posted independent dyno figures showing the IPD plenum made 15hp in the mid range. A bubble so to speak. Whilst it did not add any power to the peak number, it still made an increase under the curve.

That being proven, I call it low hanging fruit. From an order point of view, the mods you do first, pick up the low hanging fruit and get the credit of picking up the power. But there is a point where, the earlier mods have already picked up all the low hanging fruit and there isn't much left for the later ones. Therefore depending on what order you do, you can become a champion of one mod over another. Meaning your experience will be different.

Akrapovic Cats are 300 cell. I am removing mine for Tubi Catless pipes, hopefully next week. There has been a delay in shipping. Whilst I have the AMS intercoolers a long time, they also appear to be a choke point.

I can see water injection is going to be necessary to get the most from M800's.

OP, I have a race mechanic do all my work, and he hated installing the IPD. Said it was a ****. Because It was my very first mod on the GTS, I did notice a difference in the mid range.

BGB also picked up 100ft/lbs from stock 600 cell by going catless. So I believe at M800 boost levels, the cats are also a restriction. I should be able to prove that early next month.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 11-19-2021 at 04:12 PM.
justbob (11-21-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 09:18 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Here stock plenum vs tial plenum cfm that clearly show more hp potential , almost 20% more flow up top,im sold especialy with my m800...

Last edited by blackcheetah; 11-19-2021 at 09:24 PM.
4 Point 0 (11-19-2021)

Quick Reply: tial plenum diy