Sponsored by:

Boost problems??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 11:06 PM
18 991 C4S whoo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boost problems??

I have a 2018 C4S. With the Oem tune, the power band and the way the turbo spools is very Linear/Na like. Low boost at low rpm ramping up to 16 psi at the upper rev range.

I recently got an Apr tune and it brings full boost on much earlier in the rev range and totally transformed the car. It’s been several months and I’ve recently gotten an oil change. 3 weeks later I just noticed my car now drives like Oem again?? I had an Indy shop do the oil change. Did they somehow reset my ecu?? Or is my car getting vacuum leak or what?? Maybe a winter thing?

It drives fine. Zero cel or codes. Just boost at low rpm on full throttle on any gear is limited to like 6psi then at 5500+ then it will start to ramp up to full spool again… it feels neutered..

vacuum leak, waste gate not opening, hose issues somewhere??

Anyone run into this issue? I’m gonna have the tune redone tomorrow to see if it’s a tune issue… if after and it’s still acting this way then I know it’s something mechanical.

Last edited by 18 991 C4S whoo; 11-18-2021 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-19-2021, 12:06 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,313 Posts

call them and ask. if I had to guess, they knocked something loose. it's extremely unlikely they have a piwis and did an ecu update.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:15 AM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 18 991 C4S whoo
I have a 2018 C4S. With the Oem tune, the power band and the way the turbo spools is very Linear/Na like. Low boost at low rpm ramping up to 16 psi at the upper rev range.

I recently got an Apr tune and it brings full boost on much earlier in the rev range and totally transformed the car. It’s been several months and I’ve recently gotten an oil change. 3 weeks later I just noticed my car now drives like Oem again?? I had an Indy shop do the oil change. Did they somehow reset my ecu?? Or is my car getting vacuum leak or what?? Maybe a winter thing?

It drives fine. Zero cel or codes. Just boost at low rpm on full throttle on any gear is limited to like 6psi then at 5500+ then it will start to ramp up to full spool again… it feels neutered..

vacuum leak, waste gate not opening, hose issues somewhere??

Anyone run into this issue? I’m gonna have the tune redone tomorrow to see if it’s a tune issue… if after and it’s still acting this way then I know it’s something mechanical.
Had this issue With my cobb protune i was boosting 6-7psi insted 30psi so i reinstalled the map and everything was fine after so i was you i would reinstal the map at your tuner... good luck

Last edited by blackcheetah; 11-19-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:04 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

ECU will compensate for air density/temp, but that sounds outside of that realm; you're way more than a few psi off.

You say the boost characteristics changed 3 weeks after the oil change? I would take it in, or inspect the area around the oil filter for line that has come loose.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:50 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

That isnt normal. Sounds like a boost leak to me. I too agree with the rest, have the shop check in the area they worked around during the oil change. Full throttle by 3-4K RPM at most should really result in max boost with the APR tune.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:41 PM
18 991 C4S whoo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Case closed

Thanks for all the replies.

I had the Apr tune re uploaded today and it fixed the issues I was having and by issues, I mean no tune at all. What I was experiencing was simply the car on Base map. I believe the car was reverted back to the Oem tune by the shop that did my oil change. They must have the Piwis to do so…they did reset my service reminders and must have resetted the whole dam thing. Either that or the Apr tune somehow can revert back to the base tune which I doubt.

It just shows me how much different the car feels when tuned. Full boost and torque at 3-4k rpm is much more desirable for city driving. Base maps will not go over 6psi max before 5500 no matter what gear or how far down the throttle is and ramps up to 16psi by 8000rpm. I was studying 991.2 S base map dyno charts and the torque curve at 2-5k rpm is flat as those flat earth believers. Artificially flat…. I know Porsche intended the power band to be that way to preserve high strung Motorsport feel of their Na motors they replaced. Anyways issue is resolved!
Old 11-19-2021, 09:45 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

I had the Apr tune re uploaded today and it fixed the issues I was having and by issues, I mean no tune at all. What I was experiencing was simply the car on Base map. I believe the car was reverted back to the Oem tune by the shop that did my oil change. They must have the Piwis to do so…they did reset my service reminders and must have resetted the whole dam thing. Either that or the Apr tune somehow can revert back to the base tune which I doubt.

It just shows me how much different the car feels when tuned. Full boost and torque at 3-4k rpm is much more desirable for city driving. Base maps will not go over 6psi max before 5500 no matter what gear or how far down the throttle is and ramps up to 16psi by 8000rpm. I was studying 991.2 S base map dyno charts and the torque curve at 2-5k rpm is flat as those flat earth believers. Artificially flat…. I know Porsche intended the power band to be that way to preserve high strung Motorsport feel of their Na motors they replaced. Anyways issue is resolved!
Im glad you fixed the problem im not suprise that to retune was the problem ...now have fun

Last edited by blackcheetah; 11-19-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Boost problems??