Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Base Enough?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 12:50 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Just for fun, if you have the time, drive a 997.2 Carrera S, with the 3.8 engine, PDK, Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust. You get 385 HP and that raw NA sound....it won't have the torque of a 991.2, but it will be plenty fast, ole school style, with all hell breaking loose after about 4,000 RPM.....that said, the 991.2 Carrera is an incredible performance car, the 991.2 Carrera S, better yet. 420 throbbing HP, 50 more HP than a 991.2 Carrera...but you'll pay dearly for it. If I had the budget.....hmmmmm, maybe...but first, I had better learn how to drive my 991.1 Carrera S....

Last edited by Martin S.; 11-15-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:16 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

I think for public roads the base is undeniably "enough". Actually way more than enough. Ask the folks I drive with . In terms of driving performance on public roads, it would be very hard to make a case you need more than the base (IMHO). If you plan to go to the track - S for sure.

BUt the real question is one psychological - will it bother you that you drive the "base" version? If that's the case, even a little bit, then get the S for sure.
The following 3 users liked this post by Thinc2:
Dgags (11-14-2021), George from MD (11-14-2021), myrr (11-15-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 05:28 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

OP - For whatever reason, a couple posts of yours in this thread fell into the moderation queue for review by a mod. I'm not sure why that happens, but I just approved them. All should be well now.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:26 PM
pdkZ
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah so it's definitely "enough"

It just feels VERY lacking compared to my C63S. In every sense. Interior, features, sound.

911 def has better handling & seating position. But otherwise, this will be a hard decision.

Am I crazy to think the Cayman GTS is a better all-around car than the base carrera? It just doesn't feel special to me and i was underwhelmed.

Am i spoiled with the power of the C63S? No doubt a Carrera S would have it's way with a C63S, but all the times and reviews I've seen seem to indicate the C63S is a faster car.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:28 PM
pdkZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I think for public roads the base is undeniably "enough". Actually way more than enough. Ask the folks I drive with . In terms of driving performance on public roads, it would be very hard to make a case you need more than the base (IMHO). If you plan to go to the track - S for sure.

BUt the real question is one psychological - will it bother you that you drive the "base" version? If that's the case, even a little bit, then get the S for sure.
It wouldn't bother me if i didn't feel it was underwhelming. I don't really care about the badge ,I care about the experience. The base just didn't feel very "visceral" to me. I got more of a visceral drive from a base M2 & the Cayman GTS i drove.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:35 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by pdkZ
It wouldn't bother me if i didn't feel it was underwhelming. I don't really care about the badge ,I care about the experience. The base just didn't feel very "visceral" to me. I got more of a visceral drive from a base M2 & the Cayman GTS i drove.
The base is not a particularly "visceral" car. It is enormously capable, comfortable and fun as hell to drive. A 3.0L flat 6 won't ever launch or sound like a Merc V8.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:37 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,064 Likes on 639 Posts

IMO, nothing feels like a 911, with a rear weight bias. I agree that a Cayman might be "better", but you have to decide how entertaining it feels during fun driving.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:43 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 535 Posts

Yeah so it's definitely "enough"

It just feels VERY lacking compared to my C63S. In every sense. Interior, features, sound.

911 def has better handling & seating position. But otherwise, this will be a hard decision.

Am I crazy to think the Cayman GTS is a better all-around car than the base carrera? It just doesn't feel special to me and i was underwhelmed.

Am i spoiled with the power of the C63S? No doubt a Carrera S would have it's way with a C63S, but all the times and reviews I've seen seem to indicate the C63S is a faster car.
When comparing cars of different weights and different power levels, you can figure out pounds per hp to get a starting point. If your AMG is putting out huge power and is a bit heavier the base will not be impressive. It’s easy to say but drive an S then a GTS. See what makes you happy.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:52 AM
pdkZ
Intermediate

So in my opinion, the Cayman GTS (not 4.0) felt like a more visceral experience than the base carrera. My AMG C63S feels much more visceral than a base carrera. I've driven the 991.1 S and it felt pretty good but VERY similar to the 991.2 base.

But i prefer the looks of the 911 (+ i need the backseat with a newborn)

Plus, i'm pretty sure the AMG C63S is just a faster car than the base carrera 0-60, 100-200km, quarter mile, track times. AMG really did good with this one.

Obviously it's 600lbs heavier and wants to spin it's tires very often. But even with a ton of tire spin on crappy roads and 1/2 tread tires - i get 0-60 in 4.2

And unfortunately, $100k is the TOP of my budget, so I cannot afford an S or a GTS. So I don't know if i should drive one until I can afford it, because (well, we all know why ) I was just expecting to be blown away and wasn't.

My only other question would be if sport chrono makes the car feel faster?
Old 11-15-2021, 01:36 AM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

So in my opinion, the Cayman GTS (not 4.0) felt like a more visceral experience than the base carrera. My AMG C63S feels much more visceral than a base carrera. I've driven the 991.1 S and it felt pretty good but VERY similar to the 991.2 base.

But i prefer the looks of the 911 (+ i need the backseat with a newborn)

Plus, i'm pretty sure the AMG C63S is just a faster car than the base carrera 0-60, 100-200km, quarter mile, track times. AMG really did good with this one.

Obviously it's 600lbs heavier and wants to spin it's tires very often. But even with a ton of tire spin on crappy roads and 1/2 tread tires - i get 0-60 in 4.2

And unfortunately, $100k is the TOP of my budget, so I cannot afford an S or a GTS. So I don't know if i should drive one until I can afford it, because (well, we all know why ) I was just expecting to be blown away and wasn't.

My only other question would be if sport chrono makes the car feel faster?
You are comparing two different animals. A gucci v8 sedan vs a flat 6 base coupe. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Frankly, if you want a Porsche but don't want to give up the V8 attributes you should look for a Panamera.
If you want a compact 911 road scalpel you are going to sacrifice sound and throttle response. Especially if you're looking at a 991.2 gen vehicle as per your budget and comments. Pros & cons my friend. I literally just went through this same conundrum over the last 10-12 months of shopping and driving different cars.

That said, given your budget, you won't find an S that doesn't have a ton of miles. You can however, find a super clean low mileage base that's well optioned, add a Cobb tune (or the like) and a few other key mods and be under your $100k budget. The finished product will be close to your amg on a straight but will absolutely walk away from it in the twisties - which, imho, is why you give up a sport sedan for a 911 of any flavor.

The following users liked this post:
The Ox (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 01:51 AM
pdkZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Burnt Reynolds
You are comparing two different animals. A gucci v8 sedan vs a flat 6 base coupe. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Frankly, if you want a Porsche but don't want to give up the V8 attributes you should look for a Panamera.
If you want a compact 911 road scalpel you are going to sacrifice sound and throttle response. Especially if you're looking at a 991.2 gen vehicle as per your budget and comments. Pros & cons my friend. I literally just went through this same conundrum over the last 10-12 months of shopping and driving different cars.

That said, given your budget, you won't find an S that doesn't have a ton of miles. You can however, find a super clean low mileage base that's well optioned, add a Cobb tune (or the like) and a few other key mods and be under your $100k budget. The finished product will be close to your amg on a straight but will absolutely walk away from it in the twisties - which, imho, is why you give up a sport sedan for a 911 of any flavor.
I do have a clean low mileage base that I can snag! It has sport chrono, PSE, RS rims and looks amazing!! + certified.

just in a real dilemma here. I got that throttle response and quickness in the 718 GTS that I didn’t get in the 911. I want to love the way the 911 base drove. I didn’t feel that it was that amazing handling wise. But again, I test drove a VERY base 911 that only had a sport exhaust.

I wouldn’t tune the car - just not my thing.

btw - HATE Panamera. Always thought it was ugly. I don’t care about v6 vs V8. I just felt the base was lacking power, acceleration and quickness.

what did you end up picking?

also, why give up throttle response in a 911? Isn’t is supposed to be super fast?

Last edited by pdkZ; 11-15-2021 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:05 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

S with sport package is VERY fast car... much faster than the base..
you can’t get rear axle steering on the base car.
faster than a 718 GT4 on the same track and as fast as gen 1 Audi R8 v10

review
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ZTDG9LqtCPhFVx

Last edited by snake eyes; 11-15-2021 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:33 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

The base is not a visceral car; I have always felt it was numb. That said I doubt the c63s is quicker than the base even though it may feel that way...because it is more visceral. It will never be as quick on a track either. It is too heavy and your back end likes to go out around corners because of all that power. That said, it sounds like the base is not for you; perhaps you need to look at a 991.1S, which will give you more of the feel that you want, the 911 experience but perhaps a bit slower than the base. Also, you want Sports Chrono based on everything you've said thus far. Save your money and get the car that fits you, when you can afford it. Either that or tune the base as others have said. Mine is bone stock but all that tune it say it really wakes up the car.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:50 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

I do have a clean low mileage base that I can snag! It has sport chrono, PSE, RS rims and looks amazing!! + certified.

just in a real dilemma here. I got that throttle response and quickness in the 718 GTS that I didn’t get in the 911. I want to love the way the 911 base drove. I didn’t feel that it was that amazing handling wise. But again, I test drove a VERY base 911 that only had a sport exhaust.

I wouldn’t tune the car - just not my thing.

btw - HATE Panamera. Always thought it was ugly. I don’t care about v6 vs V8. I just felt the base was lacking power, acceleration and quickness.

what did you end up picking?

also, why give up throttle response in a 911? Isn’t is supposed to be super fast?
I think you know the base Carrera is not for you. Stop torturing yourself. Mine is fast, visceral, on and off the track. Softronics tune and SOUL PP have woken up the car. If you don't want even a simple tune, time to move on.

The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 11:53 AM
CJ James
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

My fairly well optioned base was delivered on Halloween last year, and I couldnt be happier. In stock form the car scratched my Porsche itch. But when I added SOUL headers and cats, gts turbos, apr e85 tune, thats when I fell in love. Winter project is gt3 calipers and rotors. After all of this im making 640ish whp, and still in the car less than a gts wouldve been. I intended the car to be a 6 month hold but its really grown on me.
The following 4 users liked this post by CJ James:
Newusername (02-07-2022), Sarawnty (11-16-2021), Soul Performance (11-15-2021), The Ox (11-15-2021)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base Enough?