Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car enthusiast living in the city? How do you manage your car passion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 06:24 AM
Jimmyk79
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Car enthusiast living in the city? How do you manage your car passion?

Taking some personal time off of work.

My wife and I only maintain one residence in the US and prefer to keep it that way – we have been living overseas for the last decade but that has come to an end last week - and one of my “dreams” was to move back home to the US and start the toy collection. We currently live in the city (and will be doing so for the next 3-5 years) we have a 2 space parking in our home but its outdoors – for our current 911 and Cayenne. Returning home I have realized this outdoor parking, city living experience makes it almost impossible for me to have my OCD condition with clean vehicles and multiple toys and a garage of tools impossible to enjoy or implement – or at least I do not know how...

Any of you dealt with this? Any interesting solutions or ideas on how you managed your interests living in a city?

Pardon the first world problems…
Old 11-05-2021, 09:04 AM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 126 Posts

Find a garage near by and prepare to pay a boatload of cash every month for a spot.

I’ve lived in NYC and didn’t even try - having a car was impossible and impractical. I also lived in a much smaller city where it worked a bit better (Boston), but still ended up paying for a garage spot near by.

I ended up moving to a suburb 10 minutes outside of Boston proper with a driveway and garage and felt like a king.

I’m now living a suburb 10 min from downtown Austin with a 3 car garage. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmyk79 (11-06-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 09:15 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmyk79

My wife and I only maintain one residence in the US and prefer to keep it that way – we have been living overseas for the last decade but that has come to an end last week - and one of my “dreams” was to move back home to the US and start the toy collection. We currently live in the city (and will be doing so for the next 3-5 years) we have a 2 space parking in our home but its outdoors – for our current 911 and Cayenne. Returning home I have realized this outdoor parking, city living experience makes it almost impossible for me to have my OCD condition with clean vehicles and multiple toys and a garage of tools impossible to enjoy or implement – or at least I do not know how...

Any of you dealt with this? Any interesting solutions or ideas on how you managed your interests living in a city?

I used to live in NYC and kept three cars in three separate public garages. The daily outside, the two good cars indoors, in self-park protected spots with no cars able to door ding. I would often take a taxi to my car. It can be done but you need to be creative, and it of course takes some effort.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:38 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,247 Posts

I fixed this by never living in the city.
Freddie Two Bs (11-06-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 11:39 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

You can't park outside and keep a clean car. I sprung for a full wrap and let nature do its thing. As for the tools, garage toys and DIY work, you know the answer and can update this post in 5 years when you have a garage.

Jimmyk79 (11-06-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 01:19 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 312 Likes on 187 Posts

DC has some great Wine and Liqueur stores.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:13 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

I rented a closed garage (for my 993). The access is easy but it take times to travel there - I can use public transportation which is good because I don’t have to lose time in traffic jam driving there with my daily car. I don’t have a choice because I don’t have a closed parking space at home and I would never leave the car outside.

If your parking space has electricity plug for battery tender, that is a plus (my current one does not). I usually leave some tools in the garage plus a battery lamp. I need to buy a small battery booster although I already have a backup battery ready in case. I also have a small air compressor for tyres that can be recharged on the cigaret lighter plug.

In my previous closed garage, I did have an electric plug which was great for the battery tender. But you can live without it. In my new closed garage, I used to disconnect the 12V battery until I discovered I had a kill switch.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:00 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

In my area there are several enthusiast's garages available. Some are structured as auto concierge type locations where you contact them and tell them when you want to pick up your car, and some are structured as clubs with social gatherings, and common areas to work on your car. I would imagine there are a few probably across the river from you. Check with your local PCA or BMWCCA folks.
Freddie Two Bs (11-06-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 10:09 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 995 Likes on 590 Posts

I lived in Downtown San Francisco and now in Downtown LA, and both places had good underground NON valet garages. Car was always safe and never any issues. A NON public garage is key.
afk (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 10:18 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

In Chicago I have slowly acquired 8 spots in my building..I wish I would have stopped earlier because it never served all of the uses I would like. I have since purchased a "car condo" 30 miles away. Is it ideal? No. But we enjoy our city lifestyle. I know when I was looking for build ideas there were car condo options outside of DC.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:27 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,219 Likes on 703 Posts

I've dealt with it, and still am dealing with it... I wholeheartedly feel you on what you said and some. Truth is, we all can't have nice things. The annoyances and harassment at times are annoying.

Example; I'm having a slow, nice, relaxing calm day. I leave my house to go have dinner with a friend and within 3 minutes of driving I'm being tailgated because of the car... And to think I was about to trade in for a Ferrari. To hell with that.

How am I dealing with it? I've got ideas like getting as far away from other humans as possible.

As a small town kid spending all of my adult life in the city, I've realized I'm a small town type of guy. The city has nothing to offer me but annoyances. No wonder why New Yorkers are stereotyped to be rude. It all makes sense.
Jimmyk79 (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 11:58 PM
mrpat3l
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I live in NYC but I'm fortunate enough to have a driveway and a garage, having a safe place to park is what allows me to make it work. I drive the car all over the city, I even park curbside when shopping with the wife or going out to eat, I find that most people respect the car.
Having a good detailer that is close by helps me keep the car looking clean, it will get dirty and dusty in an urban environment, you'll find yourself in situations where you are driving through dust clouds from nearby roadwork or potholes filled with water, its inevitable living in a city.
Ceramic coating the car makes it easier to wash and rinse. Do what you like, if you really want something you'll figure out how to make it work, I don't regret owning a 911 in NYC one bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrpat3l:
scr1244 (11-17-2021), zabuch (11-09-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 12:28 AM
Honda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by mrpat3l
I live in NYC but I'm fortunate enough to have a driveway and a garage, having a safe place to park is what allows me to make it work. I drive the car all over the city, I even park curbside when shopping with the wife or going out to eat, I find that most people respect the car.
Having a good detailer that is close by helps me keep the car looking clean, it will get dirty and dusty in an urban environment, you'll find yourself in situations where you are driving through dust clouds from nearby roadwork or potholes filled with water, its inevitable living in a city.
Ceramic coating the car makes it easier to wash and rinse. Do what you like, if you really want something you'll figure out how to make it work, I don't regret owning a 911 in NYC one bit.
I do not have the same luck as you street parking in Manhattan and Queens. Picked up a few scratches to the front / rear bumpers over the years. Planning to fix asap once I get my hands on a sport design bumper!
Old 11-07-2021, 06:27 PM
shockedcape
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Within a year of buying my 991.2 I bought a house in the suburbs and moved out of NYC. In a year of rare driving I got 4 punctures and paid for 4 new tires. It's not fun and not worth it.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:05 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,219 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by shockedcape
Within a year of buying my 991.2 I bought a house in the suburbs and moved out of NYC. In a year of rare driving I got 4 punctures and paid for 4 new tires. It's not fun and not worth it.
These tire are magnets for nails and shrapnel debris. For some reason, it's always one of the two rears.

Quick Reply: Car enthusiast living in the city? How do you manage your car passion?