Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car enthusiast living in the city? How do you manage your car passion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 07:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmyk79
Any of you dealt with this? Any interesting solutions or ideas on how you managed your interests living in a city?
I live at the edge of a city and country roads are a mile or two away. But I hear you when I lived near the city centre in the past. No fun.

As for the OCD, you want a garage with an attached house and not the other way around. You might want to check with your wife on that one.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmyk79 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 12:31 PM
zabuch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes sir garage and driveway ,i live in BK never had a problem ,when i hit the city i use the Porsche parking app ,i never have aproblem
Old 11-10-2021, 11:36 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 356 Likes on 224 Posts

Same here, bought a car condo for entertaining and the cars. @anythingbuttime Iron Gate?

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 11-10-2021, 12:25 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 64 Posts

I had the same concerns. I have a house in the city surrounded by apartments, condos, a hospital and all sorts of craziness... but all the privacy I need to escape work.
My solution was to buy two 8'x53' high cube shipping containers. They were $2,600/each + $300 delivery with placement. I got a really good deal on a long term lease at the rear perimeter of a well lit business site that had room that was just wasting away. They even offered to supply power (included). I installed a heat pump for $2K. The containers have the interior walls cut out and two I-beams supply the lateral strength to hold them together as well as support the roof for water drainage. If I need to move them, I can do so on a flatbed after removing the I-beams. The containers are discrete and secure. I bought stick-on roofing material to cover the roof seam. Inside, they come with hardwood floors, so a pretty easy out-of-the-box solution without having to invest a lot. The working floor area is 16' x 50' which is great for 2 cars with working space around them.

This is one idea that you could use. If I lived in NYC, I would definitely look at the land close to the entrance of the Holland tunnel. Just saying... there is always a way to get what you need. Sure, I wish I had a garage at my home, but this works well for me right now. (land rent is $500/year)
The following 2 users liked this post by Icebreaker:
Jimmyk79 (11-17-2021), Noah Fect (11-20-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 01:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 342 Posts

In the past, I rented a storage unit, with a 110 VAC connection for the trickle charger for my 911. On my most recent storage rental, no AC power was available. The owners allowed me to put a small solar panel on the roof of the storage unit providing power for the trickle charger. No more need for a storage unit these days as I now have a home with a garage having 110 power for the trickle charger.

Not wanting the mini-solar panel to go to waste, I had East County Trailer Repair, El Cajon, CA, mount the mini solar panel at the front of my ATC trailer, mounted at a 45 degree angle. I store the trailer off site, or I'd provide pics. As a result, while in storage, or on the road, the solar panel is charging the trailer's deep cycle marine battery that is used to raise and lower the trailer, power the winch and provide AC power from an inverter.

BTW, East County Trailer Repair is an amazing business. The quality of their work is exemplary. If you have a trailer needing some work or maintenance, and live in the San Diego area, this is THE place to go for any trailer work.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:21 PM
Jimmyk79
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you Gents - your blunt feedback has been more helpful then you can imagine - saving me and my family an enormous amount of trial and error (not to mention marriage “capital)

@Icebreaker container solution is pretty ingenious and affordable! Nice!
@DOUGLAP1 i have sent out some feelers on “enthusiast's garages” as you indicated - this could be a quick win for now with no fixed cost just variable - thx!

It’s clear there is no perfect solution it was just wishful thinking - I have contacted a contractor to give me some quotes - will share details if it’s affordable and possible. Seeing if I can build an enthusiast 8 car garage as @DOUGLAP1 mentioned.

Thanks guys - grateful city boy here
Old 11-19-2021, 05:08 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS
Same here, bought a car condo for entertaining and the cars. @anythingbuttime Iron Gate?
Sorry, I missed this. Big Door. Not as elaborate as Iron Gate, but also not as hectic.

Quick Reply: Car enthusiast living in the city? How do you manage your car passion?