Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At home tire inflator recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021 | 12:01 PM
chowdah
Advanced

Originally Posted by Speed2k
check out project farm for some inflator reviews (note, the Ryobi unit they use is the handheld one, they have a non-handlheld ones as well)
I second this channel. I also use the M12 Milwaukee. It's about half the size of a shoebox and with such little effort all the cars and bikes are happy.
Old 10-04-2021 | 07:09 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
No worries, for sure. I picked up one of these 100' Utilitech Reels at Lowe's recently, I put my 50' of 14/3 on it and just unwind it to the car as I go. Very convenient and rolls up nicely to put back in the garage cabinets.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ProTorch-10...zer/1002799146

I have a corded one as well, it's been relegated to back-up duties in case my batteries aren't charged (which likely won't happen because I two systems with multiple batteries). For anyone buying new, I highly suggest giving a cordless system a shot, if you don't like it, you can always return it. I think you'll love the convenience of it though.
Old 10-04-2021 | 08:01 PM
otanicar
Rennlist Member

I also got a Kobalt from Lowes. i like it because:
I can preset the desired pressure and it auto shuts off at the desired value.
The digital readout is to the nearest 1/2 pound.
Operates on 12vdc or 110vac.
It seems to be quite accurate as verified by an expensive tire gauge.
Lowes gives me a 10% military discount.

I like it so well that I bought another for our vacation condo and got one for my son as well.
Old 10-04-2021 | 09:46 PM
CraigT!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by otanicar
I also got a Kobalt from Lowes. i like it because:
I can preset the desired pressure and it auto shuts off at the desired value.
The digital readout is to the nearest 1/2 pound.
Operates on 12vdc or 110vac.
It seems to be quite accurate as verified by an expensive tire gauge.
Lowes gives me a 10% military discount.

I like it so well that I bought another for our vacation condo and got one for my son as well.

Can't go wrong with the Kobalt, picked mine up today from Lowes
Old 10-06-2021 | 03:25 PM
VegasJeff
Intermediate

I know you already went with the Kobalt but I'll second the Milwaukee M12 recommendation. I've got 3 of them and here's what I like:

1. It "screws on" which is secure and easy to use. I've also tried the Makita cordless 18v version which has the little black lever similar to a bicycle tire pump. I much prefer the screw-on type.
2. You can preset the tire pressure and it automatically stops when the pressure is reached. This also gives you the current tire pressure so you don't have to use a separate tire gauge.
3. It's accurate (at least when I double check using a traditional tire pressure gauge)
4. It's fast. I can quickly top off all 4 tires (4-10lbs each) in about 10 minutes.
5. It's portable. I'd recommend buying the kit which comes with a bag, charger, and a 4.0 ah battery. Add a second 4.0 ah (even better, a 6.0 ah battery) and you're good to go. Easy to throw one in the frunk for road trips.

This works well for the twice a year (when the weather changes and tires get low) or occasional top-off. For full tire fill ups, I'd go with a plug in Kobalt or full on compressor set up.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021 | 05:34 PM
Mcmillion
Track Day

I love this one, but it does hook to a car battery. Some love that some don't. With my garage design it's easier than using my garage compressor.
https://www.campingworld.com/viair-r...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10-06-2021 | 07:53 PM
zphase
Rennlist Member

I have this one and it works great.
Old 10-06-2021 | 08:17 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

I bought a Bosch Easy pump to re-inflate a little the pressure after the car sat for a long time. It is small (fits in my 993 glove box). I check the pressure before driving the car and then I can recharge the battery while driving (USB-C port on the pump connected to cigaret lighter plug) so the battery is full for the next time I need to drive. There is more than enough battery to re-inflate slightly all 4 tyres (like add +0.2 bar to each tyre is no problem at all).
Old 10-06-2021 | 11:20 PM
SpartanSD
Advanced

I have the Milwaukee M12, mostly because I have multiple other M12 devices, batteries and chargers. It's accurate and very convenient to use, but the battery capacity is limited. You can get extra-capacity batteries, but I don't have one. It's fine for topping up purposes, but if you had to inflate a truck tire from flat you would be hurting. If I didn't already have the batteries, I would probably look at something a little cheaper, but cordless is the way to go.
Old 10-07-2021 | 01:14 AM
Levy
Racer

love this one from Amazon. works great. has a wall plug and lighter port. also deflates/lowers pressure, which i've never had before. at $70, it's pretty inexpensive as well.

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Barenaked (11-05-2023)
Old 10-07-2021 | 01:47 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

30cu nitrogen bottle with ballon regulator.
Old 10-07-2021 | 08:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

For those with the kobalt, keep it out of the rain. Mine got a bit wet and the control board failed. Then the cigarette lighter attachment failed. At this point i run it straight off battery or ac power. Base compressor works fine but the electronics were a bit sensitive

Quick Reply: At home tire inflator recommendation