Sponsored by:

At home tire inflator recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 12:01 PM
chowdah
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
check out project farm for some inflator reviews (note, the Ryobi unit they use is the handheld one, they have a non-handlheld ones as well)
I second this channel. I also use the M12 Milwaukee. It's about half the size of a shoebox and with such little effort all the cars and bikes are happy.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:09 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
No worries, for sure. I picked up one of these 100' Utilitech Reels at Lowe's recently, I put my 50' of 14/3 on it and just unwind it to the car as I go. Very convenient and rolls up nicely to put back in the garage cabinets.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ProTorch-10...zer/1002799146

I have a corded one as well, it's been relegated to back-up duties in case my batteries aren't charged (which likely won't happen because I two systems with multiple batteries). For anyone buying new, I highly suggest giving a cordless system a shot, if you don't like it, you can always return it. I think you'll love the convenience of it though.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:01 PM
otanicar
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I also got a Kobalt from Lowes. i like it because:
I can preset the desired pressure and it auto shuts off at the desired value.
The digital readout is to the nearest 1/2 pound.
Operates on 12vdc or 110vac.
It seems to be quite accurate as verified by an expensive tire gauge.
Lowes gives me a 10% military discount.

I like it so well that I bought another for our vacation condo and got one for my son as well.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:46 PM
CraigT!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by otanicar
I also got a Kobalt from Lowes. i like it because:
I can preset the desired pressure and it auto shuts off at the desired value.
The digital readout is to the nearest 1/2 pound.
Operates on 12vdc or 110vac.
It seems to be quite accurate as verified by an expensive tire gauge.
Lowes gives me a 10% military discount.

I like it so well that I bought another for our vacation condo and got one for my son as well.

Can't go wrong with the Kobalt, picked mine up today from Lowes
Old 10-06-2021, 03:25 PM
VegasJeff
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know you already went with the Kobalt but I'll second the Milwaukee M12 recommendation. I've got 3 of them and here's what I like:

1. It "screws on" which is secure and easy to use. I've also tried the Makita cordless 18v version which has the little black lever similar to a bicycle tire pump. I much prefer the screw-on type.
2. You can preset the tire pressure and it automatically stops when the pressure is reached. This also gives you the current tire pressure so you don't have to use a separate tire gauge.
3. It's accurate (at least when I double check using a traditional tire pressure gauge)
4. It's fast. I can quickly top off all 4 tires (4-10lbs each) in about 10 minutes.
5. It's portable. I'd recommend buying the kit which comes with a bag, charger, and a 4.0 ah battery. Add a second 4.0 ah (even better, a 6.0 ah battery) and you're good to go. Easy to throw one in the frunk for road trips.

This works well for the twice a year (when the weather changes and tires get low) or occasional top-off. For full tire fill ups, I'd go with a plug in Kobalt or full on compressor set up.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 05:34 PM
Mcmillion
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love this one, but it does hook to a car battery. Some love that some don't. With my garage design it's easier than using my garage compressor.
https://www.campingworld.com/viair-r...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10-06-2021, 07:53 PM
zphase
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this one and it works great.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:17 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

I bought a Bosch Easy pump to re-inflate a little the pressure after the car sat for a long time. It is small (fits in my 993 glove box). I check the pressure before driving the car and then I can recharge the battery while driving (USB-C port on the pump connected to cigaret lighter plug) so the battery is full for the next time I need to drive. There is more than enough battery to re-inflate slightly all 4 tyres (like add +0.2 bar to each tyre is no problem at all).
Old 10-06-2021, 11:20 PM
SpartanSD
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Milwaukee M12, mostly because I have multiple other M12 devices, batteries and chargers. It's accurate and very convenient to use, but the battery capacity is limited. You can get extra-capacity batteries, but I don't have one. It's fine for topping up purposes, but if you had to inflate a truck tire from flat you would be hurting. If I didn't already have the batteries, I would probably look at something a little cheaper, but cordless is the way to go.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:14 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

love this one from Amazon. works great. has a wall plug and lighter port. also deflates/lowers pressure, which i've never had before. at $70, it's pretty inexpensive as well.

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Barenaked (11-05-2023)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:47 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts

30cu nitrogen bottle with ballon regulator.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

For those with the kobalt, keep it out of the rain. Mine got a bit wet and the control board failed. Then the cigarette lighter attachment failed. At this point i run it straight off battery or ac power. Base compressor works fine but the electronics were a bit sensitive

Quick Reply: At home tire inflator recommendation