Sponsored by:

lost power to door upon re installing panel Dyanomat

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 06:39 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default lost power to door upon re installing panel Dyanomat

took door panel off drivers side (well both sides) to install some dynomat. Everything was fine and I even ended up taking the panel off a couple of times as my speakers were delayed in transit. Upon my last re connect of everything. I can't get the door to power. No light on bottom, no windows , no mirror control. no power to door period. Has anyone run across this? DId I pull the wires to hard before disconnecting the two wire harness ? Can I splice that instead of using the connector and be done? Any advice would be much much much appreciated.
Seth

Old 09-13-2021, 07:41 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

I am assuming you forgot to reconnect one of the the plugs, can't be anything else.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:58 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I am assuming you forgot to reconnect one of the the plugs, can't be anything else.
There's only two plugs. The blue one and one other. I connected them both. That's not it.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:04 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Check for continuity in case a wire was damaged. There are diagnostic tools to power up accessories, one of these may help you locate the issue.

Also check the fuses.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:41 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BSO
Check for continuity in case a wire was damaged. There are diagnostic tools to power up accessories, one of these may help you locate the issue.

Also check the fuses.
Awesome advice! any tips on how to access the diagnostic tools?
Seth
Old 09-13-2021, 11:01 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 124 Posts

Check the fuses. Most likely you may have unplugged something while powered and its an easy fix.

If that doesn’t work then gently wiggle the wires until you see signs of life.

Other than that I would need a wiring diagram to see what possible wires may be damaged.

Look up voltage drop testing & open circuit continuity testing to help you understand.

Do you have a multimeter?

Last edited by 991Targa4S; 09-13-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:19 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Default Got it!

It was a weak area past the connection on the double plug. The only plug besides the blue plug. I just kinda squeezed the whole thing together, tried the window and it opened. Boom, power to the whole door. Don't know if it will get glitchy while driving but at least I know what it is and I can get in there quick and tape it if necessary. Thanks everyone who commented!!! See you on the road. :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Seth K:
991Targa4S (09-13-2021), BSO (09-14-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 11:24 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice, wiggle test never fails.

I would say if you have The time you can track down the actual break you can cut the wire, grab heat shrink, crimp/solder and its done.

either way at least you know.

Happy trails
Old 09-13-2021, 11:33 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Default Fixed

It's on the plastic connector. You know how they seem to segment them for some reason? It's as if they come apart but they don't but they do? I must have weakened it on the tear down. If it acts up I'll set it straight. Ty again.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:33 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Did the dynamat make any difference in the road noise?
Old 09-17-2021, 09:19 AM
Seth K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmab
Did the dynamat make any difference in the road noise?
Dynomat makes a HUGE difference. Whatever speakers are in those doors are just more "there" now. and more speaker = less road noise in my opinion. I don't mind hearing road noise as long as I can hear my tunes if I want so I didn't really consider it as a road noise only kinda thing but I'm all about the Dynomat! Best upgrade.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:30 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

Seems not to be the OP’s issue, but after I had the passenger door panel off my 997.2T, the window would not work from the passenger door switch, but worked fine from the drivers side. Turns out the harnesses need to be reconnected in a particular order, the one with the orange clasp in the pic below plugged in last. Was about to throw a bunch of $ at switches etc. but luckily came across this random tip.

The following users liked this post:
bms0918 (09-27-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 12:26 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Seems not to be the OP’s issue, but after I had the passenger door panel off my 997.2T, the window would not work from the passenger door switch, but worked fine from the drivers side. Turns out the harnesses need to be reconnected in a particular order, the one with the orange clasp in the pic below plugged in last. Was about to throw a bunch of $ at switches etc. but luckily came across this random tip.
VERY INTERESTING..... I might have gotten it fixed accidentally by doing what you suggested without realizing it.!!! Very good to know as I'm still having an issue. The window does open now but not automatically??? and when i raise and lower the top it doesn't automatically operate in sync with the other. (also an automatic issue) I don't really care but I just want it to be right . It's probably loose. I'll go in and fix it but based on what you're saying, I'll definitely disconnect the orange (blue in my car) one and re connect it last. In fact, that might be all I need to do based on what you just informed me of. Thanks!!!

Last edited by Seth K; 09-18-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:40 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

Glad I was (maybe) able to help. I believe there is a re-learn procedure that needs to be done with the windows to get them to do their slight drop when you use the door handle. There are lots of threads about it.
The following users liked this post:
Seth K (09-19-2021)

Quick Reply: lost power to door upon re installing panel Dyanomat