Sponsored by:

Best way to launch a 991.2 7MT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 02:47 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow Best way to launch a 991.2 7MT?

What's the quickest way to launch a 991.2 7MT?

If I launch my car from the two step limiter (which is around 4000rpm), it results in a tremendous amount of wheel hop. My old Cayman S did the same thing from a 4000rpm launch, but it also allowed me to launch from a higher RPM. When I launched that car from 5500rpm I would get a little wheel spin, no hop, and a nice launch.

If I launch from around 2000rpm, the car will take off without wheel hop, but not as fast as I'd like it to.

Has anyone found a good method?

Last edited by circuiticon; 07-21-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:43 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

First - no, I haven't found a great method and now that I have a lot more HP and torque going through the clutch I'm less inclined to try it than I was before for fear I'll burn out the clutch.

Anyway, the wheel hop is pretty awful when you launch unless you're really slipping the clutch. Also turn off TC completely and make sure that (a) there's nobody around, (b) you have a *very wide* roadway in case you wind up going sideways
Old 07-21-2021, 03:44 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,079 Likes on 449 Posts

Sell car, buy PDK car with sport chrono.

I have a 7MT, and launching is not its forte. I don't trust the clutch not to burn up under hard launches, this isn't a great car for that kind of stuff.

The following 4 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
manifold danger (07-21-2021), minh (07-21-2021), Rockerchief (07-26-2021), The Ox (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:47 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Sell car, buy PDK car with sport chrono.

I have a 7MT, and launching is not its forte. I don't trust the clutch not to burn up under hard launches, this isn't a great car for that kind of stuff.
Butbutbut....

What if we run into a tuned Nismo GT86 SH AWD Turbo+ at a stop light and we just have to out-launch it? We're screwed. And then the humiliation sets in. So terrible for our egos.
The following 3 users liked this post by enzotcat:
George from MD (08-20-2021), macanakey (07-21-2021), Porsche_nuts (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:59 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 365 Posts

i bought a dragy and played around with it trying to get good launch times with my 991.1S 7MT.

it's a MT, that's not really it's job. ~2000 RPMs is about the sweet spot...

you can get great times with launch control but to me that isn't really driving, it's letting the computer drive for you to hit a specific metric. might as well play xbox. it's safer.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:10 PM
NA2
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 56 Posts
Default well

If you ever list your car for sale here in the Renn Marketplace ...... just sayin'...... the internet is forever

Originally Posted by circuiticon
What's the quickest way to launch a 991.2 7MT?

If I launch my car from the two step limiter (which is around 4000rpm), it results in a tremendous amount of wheel hop. My old Cayman S did the same thing, but it allowed me to launch from a higher RPM. When I launched that car from 5500rpm I would get a little wheel spin, no hop, and a nice launch.

If I launch from around 2000rpm, the car will take off without wheel hop, but not as fast as I'd like it to.

Has anyone found a good method?
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (08-20-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 05:33 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Butbutbut....

What if we run into a tuned Nismo GT86 SH AWD Turbo+ at a stop light and we just have to out-launch it? We're screwed. And then the humiliation sets in. So terrible for our egos.
I mean, to be fair, the 911 is kind of considered "the ultimate sports car". It should be better off the line.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:35 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NA2
If you ever list your car for sale here in the Renn Marketplace ...... just sayin'...... the internet is forever
I take great care of all of my cars, the 911 is no different. I bought a high end sports car to have fun in, not to drive like a Camry.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:44 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I mean, to be fair, the 911 is kind of considered "the ultimate sports car". It should be better off the line.
Its not bad off the line. You want better. The better off the line package is pdk with SC. And its faster by a lot.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:30 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carl Over
Its not bad off the line. You want better. The better off the line package is pdk with SC. And its faster by a lot.
I just want to be able to launch from a higher RPM to get rid of wheel hop. I was happy with how my manual Cayman S launched. The 911 is a downgrade in that respect.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:33 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Right... which is why I have to ask why people buy "sports cars" just to take them drag racing...

The 911 is built to go around corners well, and also happens to have a decent engine that results in respectable 1/4 mile times. Buying a 911 to drag race it is like... well it's sort of like this (disclaimer: I've had mixed luck with posting gifs on this board but this one cracked me up so had to share, RIP John Belushi):

(a gif of John Belushi using a samurai sword to cut a sandwich, from ancient SNL, "Samurai Delicatessen", one of my personal favorites from my youth. Just illustrating how even though something CAN do something, it probably shouldn't in all cases)

Also, while it may still be considered passe to rely on launch control ("real men shift their own gears", etc.), you can't argue with science. Even when I was trying to be competitive in bracket racing with my 16 second 240sx in the 90s, I was getting crushed by folks with TH350s all day long. It's nothing new. Manuals are inconsistent, and today due to technology, far slower.

Manuals have a place with people who enjoy driving their cars occasionally on back roads, or the casual HPDE guy who loves to heel-toe. They're not competitive for racing, and haven't been for some time.

Last edited by manifold danger; 07-21-2021 at 06:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
George from MD (08-20-2021), the_buch (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 06:56 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Right... which is why I have to ask why people buy "sports cars" just to take them drag racing...
Where did I say that I bought the car just taking it drag racing? I didn't, so please stop assuming and putting words into my mouth.

Lots of high end cars are designed to go around turns, but they're still quick off the line. There's no reason the 911 shouldn't be as well. It's likely that a software fix could remedy this.

For the price and reputation the car has, it should be good at everything. It shouldn't lose off the line to an old Cayman.

This thread isn't for making excuses for the car's shortcomings. It's for discussing workarounds for this obvious flaw.

Last edited by circuiticon; 07-21-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:45 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,309 Posts

like others have said, get a PDK and enjoy the launch control gimmick.

wheel hop can be caused by a plethora of things. not sure of the ways to combat this on a 911 as I've never seen it as a "haha stoplight go brr" kind of car. more rpms isn't necessarily a fix either, it'll just let you break the tires loose more cleanly and get higher wheel speeds off the line, which is typically detrimental to performance. that and launching at such high rpm differentials is laughably bad for your driveline.

I vaguely recall a thread about how the 991's TCS cannot actually be fully turned off, and this scenario is what came up as 'proof', specifically that a c2 can't do big burnouts from a standstill.

as far as "the car should be good at everything" mentality... yeah, no. not even close, and I think you might be in for a world of hurt if this is your first 911 and you're actually expecting this. The 911 is built on a foundation of compromises and, as mentioned above, it was built to go fast around corners. it's purely a side effect that they produce respectable 0-60 and quarter mile times.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:17 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
like others have said, get a PDK and enjoy the launch control gimmick.
No thanks, that's not a solution I'm interested in. I'm more interested in solving the issue on a 7MT than getting an entirely different car with a transmission that I'm not interested in.

wheel hop can be caused by a plethora of things. not sure of the ways to combat this on a 911 as I've never seen it as a "haha stoplight go brr" kind of car.
Isn't the Turbo S about the quickest gas powered car off the line? Seems like that's about as good as it gets for a "haha stoplight go brr" kind of car.

more rpms isn't necessarily a fix either, it'll just let you break the tires loose more cleanly and get higher wheel speeds off the line, which is typically detrimental to performance. that and launching at such high rpm differentials is laughably bad for your driveline
The PDK allows you to launch from over 6000rpm and it has virtually the same driveline. If it's so bad for your driveline, then why is it ok on the PDK car?

Moreover, plenty of cars on the road can launch from a high RPM without issue. I launched my old Cayman S countless times with zero issues ever, so I don't buy this excuse.

I vaguely recall a thread about how the 991's TCS cannot actually be fully turned off, and this scenario is what came up as 'proof', specifically that a c2 can't do big burnouts from a standstill.
I think it can't do burnouts period, because of the ~4000rpm limiter. I'd wager that TCS may prevent a burnout from turning into a donut (since there's steering involved), or maybe it would cut the throttle during a burnout if it turned into a one-wheel tire fire. But considering you can't really do a burnout anyway, I think the stationary rev limiter is the bigger issue.

as far as "the car should be good at everything" mentality... yeah, no. not even close, and I think you might be in for a world of hurt if this is your first 911 and you're actually expecting this. The 911 is built on a foundation of compromises and, as mentioned above, it was built to go fast around corners. it's purely a side effect that they produce respectable 0-60 and quarter mile times.
Besides launching, what performance benchmark ISN'T it good at? Sure, there are a few minor handling issues, but nothing that can't be tweaked. Even it stock form it handles pretty well. They're good on a track, are decently agile, stop well, and move well in a straight line. To me, the off-the-line performance is probably the most glaring shortcoming.

Again, this thread wasn't started to debate whether people should launch their car, or to make excuses as to why it doesn't launch well from the factory. The point is to discuss how to make it launch better, so let's please stay on topic.

So far, it seems like around 2000rpm is the sweet spot to get an "ok" launch without wheel hop. That's a good start, but I'd be interested to see how the car launched with the stationary rev limiter removed.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:20 PM
biggreek
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

So, I've run into this problem and have decided to give up trying to do a "stoplight go brr" launch.

Now, I do have a .2 4GTS. So wheelspin/hop is null. But, I've heard many stories to where the stock clutch actually breaks when launched hard.

I get slack all the time, my buddy has an APR tuned S7 (4.0tt)...he DESTROYS me off the line and in some cases, pulls away from a roll. My car is all stock and he's got the *about* 100hp advantage.

Quick Reply: Best way to launch a 991.2 7MT?