Sponsored by:

Best way to launch a 991.2 7MT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 08:14 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Yeah, there's a direct correlation between people who say "my guy" and perceived maturity level. This is scientific fact, evidence in this thread notwithstanding.
Oh, ok.

Anyway, sure then. You'll get someone in here to chime in eventually that their APR stage 15 tune and greddy engine mounts solved the wheel hop problem. What I'm trying to do is save you the cost of all that plus a new clutch by suggesting you bought the wrong car for your intended purposes.
How do you know what my intended purpose is for my car? I'm just trying to improve some aspects of my car, the launch being one of them. Are we not on a forum that's focused on enjoying and customizing our cars?

If the problem is solved by a quick engine flash and/or engine mounts, then I'll gladly spend the money on them. No need to "save" me the cost of everything. I'm not sure why you care how I spend my money.

But millennials have to experience things directly for it to sink in, so... good luck?
LOL,now I'm a millennial? Yet another one of your false assumptions. We're the same age, my guy.

Also since I'm feeling generous and would like to maintain that I'm still here to help, maybe this can help you reach your fullest potential at a stoplight: https://www.dscsport.com/

In theory, it should help with the wheel hop. At a minimum, most people agree it's a great, low-risk, low-cost mod.
It seems like you're here to dissuade me and talk down to me more than you're here to actually help.

I've used the DSC in other cars on track, and while it can help for certain things, I never noticed it helping off the line. BTW, an ecu flash or engine mounts are around the same cost as these, so clearly this isn't about saving me money. Seems like you just like telling people what to do.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:27 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Watson
OP, do you have Sports Chrono in your car?
Negative

My question behind is does the rpm limit when you take off increases if your are in Sport or Sport+ compared to normal mode? (I don’t think the rpm limit would change but it’s more for my personal knowledge). I think the rpm limit is to protect components.
From what I've read on the forums, it's still a ~4K limit, even for those who have SC.

As for component protection, I'm just skeptical of that answer. Realistically, the PDK and 7MT cars are using almost the same components. Even the transmissions are the same internally, or so I've read. I have a hard time believing that you can launch a PDK from 6000rpm 50 times in a row without issue, but a 7MT (which is basically a modified version of the PDK trans) can't take the abuse. Are they sandbagging the 7MT to make the PDK look quicker? Or to limit potential damage from a botched launch (rather than the controlled, perfect launch of the PDK)? Maybe they are trying to reduce potential warranty issues?

The bottom line is that other MT RWD Porsches have been able to launch well in the past, and they weren't limited to 4000rpm. I'm willing to bet that without the 4k limit these cars would launch better (perhaps at the cost of a shortened clutch life).

I am sure Porsche engineers have a procedure to launch a MT 991 when they need to homologate official numbers for 0-60mph times (someone mentioned deactivating TC which is a good thing). The thing I don’t know is do they homologate the absolute best time they manage to get during homologation or do they take some sort of average. If it’s the former, it means it would probably not be possible to launch the car to consistently get the best launches.
Interesting point.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:11 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by circuiticon
. Seems like you just like telling people what to do.
Seems like you're gonna keep going until you hear what you want. I'll probably keep responding too until mods come in and delete all our posts. As much of an ******* you think I am right now, it's been what, 36 hours or so? On a forum dedicated to 911 enthusiasts... and you still haven't gotten a satisfactory response.

I'm not the only one saying this. Chances are diminishing that anyone is going to come along and save the day. Sooner or later you'll arrive at the same conclusion; the manual transmission in the 991 isn't as good as the one in the 981, and never will be- because that's a fact. You don't want to get into why that's a fact because it's "not the point of the thread"... but that still doesn't change that it's a fact... that's sort of how facts work.

Sorry you had to buy the car before you figured that out... in all seriousness, I actually am. The car just isn't good at being a drag car, despite what the magazines will tell you. It's not fun to launch the car and I personally feel like it's going to break every time I sort of do it. At the very least it's inconsistent- and I do have a DSC controller and I think it helped that's why I suggested it. I'm glad I don't like drag racing any more- if I did I swear I would buy another car. I sincerely hope you can find a way to enjoy it and do whatever you want with it and despite what you think I was actually trying to help. This is just my personal way of trying to save you the effort. It clearly was ineffective but whatever, it's a forum what else is there to talk about?

Most people actually don't care the car isn't great to launch because they don't use the car that way, as you're discovering. I'm not telling you what to do, I was trying to save you time by giving you straight answers based on experience and you got all snippy. You don't want to listen so I called you a millennial. I don't care if you actually are or aren't, seemed like a fit because I hear them say "my guy" all the time. I didn't know people my age talked like that. Seems weird.

Do you put a lot of product in your hair? Do you vape? Do you listen to skrillex a lot?

The following users liked this post:
Rockerchief (07-26-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 12:11 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger

Do you put a lot of product in your hair? Do you vape? Do you listen to skrillex a lot?

Proving that I'm not a millennial (not that you asked or care), but I had to google skrillex to discover what it was. My ears are now probably permanently damaged.

But yeah, I'm not convinced that anything other than slipping the clutch somewhat on launch with TC disabled will do a whole lot. I've done it once or twice; it definitely smooths things out and you launch pretty damned hard. That said, given that I'm pushing 550+ hp I'm not all that anxious to do it and burn out my clutch in the process. I'll disagree a little with the 981 vs 991.2 transmission - I actually don't have too many complaints about the 991.2 7MT as-is from the factory, when I compare it to the 981 GTS I had, but then again maybe I have lower standards for that, or maybe I just like notchy medium-throw shifts, I dunno. In practice on the track, I'm rarely shifting outside of the 3/4/5 gears anyway (and only seldom into 5th because you can hit 140mph in 4th gear), and with the torque I have, I can choose to be somewhat lazy about when to shift, although I will definitely downshift if I'm going to be lugging around 3k RPM.
The following 2 users liked this post by enzotcat:
asellus (08-20-2021), jfischet (07-23-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 04:46 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

I recently drove a 7MT 991.1 CS.

I'm not sure if it uses the same trans as the .2, but I was able to smoothly launch the car from a higher RPM without wheel hop.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:29 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

I recently drove a 7MT 991.1 CS.

I'm not sure if it uses the same trans as the .2, but I was able to smoothly launch the car from a higher RPM without wheel hop.
The 991.2 cars are turbo. Significantly more torque at lower RPM is what requires the 4k limit.
I believe that when PSM (traction control) is turned off (deactivated), it will temporarily activate if it senses one wheel spinning.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:49 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
The 991.2 cars are turbo. Significantly more torque at lower RPM is what requires the 4k limit.
Well, while stopped in neutral, the turbos really aren't spooled up. One could argue that the 3.0T has less torque at 5K RPM in neutral than a .1S simply because the engine is smaller. I have a feeling that's not the issue.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:47 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

OP, my personal experience is all in how you feather then release the clutch. Practice practice practice.

To all others, sorry... Not sorry. Get an effing life, mind your business and stop pestering the OP. This is a Porsche 911 forum. To hell with you and your stupid opinions that are not helpful and irrelevant to the topic. It's his car, he paid for it, let him do what he wants instead of debating him. Too much time being keyboard warriors. Go drive your cars and break the tires loose.

Seems like the common denominator in multiple threads is the same one or two people talking smack and debating for the sake of debating. I feel sorry for the people who have to live around this type. What a nightmare.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911dude41:
Bulldawgfan1000 (10-25-2021), circuiticon (08-21-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 03:11 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Well, while stopped in neutral, the turbos really aren't spooled up. One could argue that the 3.0T has less torque at 5K RPM in neutral than a .1S simply because the engine is smaller. I have a feeling that's not the issue.
If you look up the numbers, you'll see that the .1 engines develop peak torque at a much higher RPM, around 5k and the torque numbers are significantly less than the 3L turbo.

Also the 3L turbo engines develop peak torque beginning at 1.7k RPM and hold it over a broad range. The 991.2 develops more power and torque at lower displacement in comparison to similar 991.1 models, it's faster.

OP is free to launch his car however he wants, agree to disagree.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:30 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you played with tire pressures at all? I would think if you lowered the tire pressure in the back some it might help.

FWIW - I had tire hop on my Cayman MT (gone) and it could get dicey pulling out into traffic. Had to wait for a grandma sized hole.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:36 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 157 Posts

I’ve used this launch feature to beat just about any car.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:39 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
If you look up the numbers, you'll see that the .1 engines develop peak torque at a much higher RPM, around 5k and the torque numbers are significantly less than the 3L turbo.

Also the 3L turbo engines develop peak torque beginning at 1.7k RPM and hold it over a broad range. The 991.2 develops more power and torque at lower displacement in comparison to similar 991.1 models, it's faster.

OP is free to launch his car however he wants, agree to disagree.
Do note that the .2 numbers are with the turbos spooled. You're not getting a lot of that without load (or launch control).
The following users liked this post:
circuiticon (08-21-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 12:09 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

this is the graph from the dragy of the best time i got in the 991.1S 7MT. i was being pretty gentile and feathering in the clutch at ~2000-2500 rpms.

i'd love to see similar graphs from a 991.2 PDK with and without launch control.

Last edited by jfischet; 08-20-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:28 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
this is the graph from the dragy of the best time i got in the 991.1S 7MT. i was being pretty gentile and feathering in the clutch at ~2000-2500 rpms.

i'd love to see similar graphs from a 991.2 PDK with and without launch control.
Your image isn't working. SSL on your domain appears to be self-signed, which no browser will allow by default. Look into Let's Encrypt, a free SSL solution.

'til then, here's a rennlist-hosted copy.

Last edited by asellus; 08-20-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:35 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 223 Posts

Why don't you just buy a Camaro instead of arguing with everyone who tries to give you honest advice?

Quick Reply: Best way to launch a 991.2 7MT?