Sponsored by:

Best way to launch a 991.2 7MT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 03:32 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I had a 2006...a first year car. Unfortunately it showed: I remember asking the dealer to pull my repair records at one point and the service rep was shocked at how many pages it was.

I still loved that car, but once it came off warranty, it was gone.
Ah yes, mine was a 2006 as well. I had the same bad wheel hop when I went to launch the car. I read on a forum that if you launched it from 5500 (rather than 4k-5k) it would launch without hopping. I tried it, and it never hopped again.

The lesson I learned there was the inspiration for this thread.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:49 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by circuiticon
What's the quickest way to launch a 991.2 7MT?

If I launch my car from the two step limiter (which is around 4000rpm), it results in a tremendous amount of wheel hop. My old Cayman S did the same thing from a 4000rpm launch, but it also allowed me to launch from a higher RPM. When I launched that car from 5500rpm I would get a little wheel spin, no hop, and a nice launch.

If I launch from around 2000rpm, the car will take off without wheel hop, but not as fast as I'd like it to.

Has anyone found a good method?
Just get a little chirp and nail it.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:26 PM
jeffucd
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 991.2 GTS with 7MT and was wondering the same thing. I had a thread a while back where I compared stock vs Softronic tune and I got beat up for being slow, I.e not launching good enough. So, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

My best launches were with:
  • Sport mode
  • Traction control level 1 defeat (PSM Sport?)
  • Hold RPM around 2K then gently releasing.

Car has DSC V3 with the GT3 Touring profile and Pierlli Zeroes. My best 0-60 on Dragy was 4.32s. Best 60ft time was 2.05s.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:00 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffucd
I have a 991.2 GTS with 7MT and was wondering the same thing. I had a thread a while back where I compared stock vs Softronic tune and I got beat up for being slow, I.e not launching good enough. So, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

My best launches were with:
  • Sport mode
  • Traction control level 1 defeat (PSM Sport?)
  • Hold RPM around 2K then gently releasing.

Car has DSC V3 with the GT3 Touring profile and Pierlli Zeroes. My best 0-60 on Dragy was 4.32s. Best 60ft time was 2.05s.

I haven’t gotten around to it yet, but have you tried the “launch control” feature of the DSC controller - it’s basically depress the throttle all the way to the floor rapidly, and release it rapidly. Supposed to stiffen the rear up for better launches.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:52 AM
jeffucd
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
I haven’t gotten around to it yet, but have you tried the “launch control” feature of the DSC controller - it’s basically depress the throttle all the way to the floor rapidly, and release it rapidly. Supposed to stiffen the rear up for better launches.
No, I didn’t know about that feature. I’ll give it a shot!
Old 08-25-2021, 01:01 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by circuiticon
What's the quickest way to launch a 991.2 7MT?

If I launch my car from the two step limiter (which is around 4000rpm), it results in a tremendous amount of wheel hop. My old Cayman S did the same thing from a 4000rpm launch, but it also allowed me to launch from a higher RPM. When I launched that car from 5500rpm I would get a little wheel spin, no hop, and a nice launch.

If I launch from around 2000rpm, the car will take off without wheel hop, but not as fast as I'd like it to.

Has anyone found a good method?
Drop rear tire pressure down to 25/28 PSI. If your at a track (drag strip) First get the tires hot, dry or wet burn out. Like I said earlier all you want is a little chirp. If your spinning ease off the right peddle. 2500/ 3000 rpm launch should be about where you want be. It's refereed to as peddling. PSM off. Get to know your car and practice. A 1.7 to 1.8 should be a good 60 foot target.

Last edited by justbob; 08-25-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Best way to launch a 991.2 7MT?