Sport Chrono Retrofit, 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 02:19 AM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Sport Chrono Retrofit, 991.1

New to Porsche. New to 911!

I just bought a 2015 991.1, decent options (16k on top), but no Sport Chrono package which is the biggest issue I have with the car. I want to investigate if it is possible to retrofit. Money is no object but I don't want to give it to a dealer. The fun part is tinkering with the car.

I've searched and most threads say its not possible, but ...

I checked that if I get PIWIS II clone from Aliexpress and get the activation code for Sport Chrono, it is possible to in theory code the option in.

Has anyone done this? What are the options for hardware retrofit? I would need a Sport Plus button and perhaps a harness which seems like a royal pain in the ***. I am willing to invest time into this and if it at all it is successful, would be good to do a writeup for others.

It looks like Rennlist member RY991 has had a go with it: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8674...l#post16141256

Last edited by spintype; 07-05-2021 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:59 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by spintype

I just bought a 2015 991.1, decent options (16k on top), but no Sport Chrono package which is the biggest issue I have with the car. I want to investigate if it is possible to retrofit. Money is no object but I don't want to give it to a dealer. The fun part is tinkering with the car.

I checked that if I get PIWIS II clone from Aliexpress and get the activation code for Sport Chrono, it is possible to in theory code the option in.

Has anyone done this? What are the options for hardware retrofit? I would need a Sport Plus button and perhaps a harness which seems like a royal pain in the ***. I am willing to invest time into this and if it at all it is successful, would be good to do a writeup for others.

It looks like Rennlist member RY991 has had a go with it: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8674...l#post16141256
Hmmmm hard to say, I believe the active engine mounts are also part of the Sport Chrono package. You will also need the center console button, and the activation token from Porsche, because certain options cannot be coded in unless you get an authorization from the Porsche server. I have yet to hear of anyone successfully doing this on a 991 platform. But anything is possible with enough money and time.

The following users liked this post:
Lee Rambler (02-02-2023)
Old 07-05-2021, 07:20 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Sports Chrono

My previous Porsche was a 2015 Cayman GTS, with Sport Chrono, PTV/Mechanical LSD, the works. I loved it...but I wanted a 911...I grew up on 911 cars and had to have another. I confined my search to 991.1 2012 - 2016. Had fallen in love with the look of the car, the interior room compared to the cayman, and I wanted 3.8 L motor with 400 HP.

I also wanted a CPO car with a fil 2 years warranty, and wanted to buy from a Porsche dealer......now that is the rub. The STOP SELL PCNA order precluded me getting a car with Sport Chrono. So I continued to look and found a 2013 991.1, PDK, Sport Exhaust and no sunroof, and great shape cosmetically and mechanically as a CPO car. I bought it sight unseen from a dealer in FL 3,000 road miles from my home in CA.

Having had Sport Chrono on the Cayman GTS, I was a little worried that the basic PDK would be less than optimal. Was I ever wrong...with the PDK I have Normal mode, and Sport mode...noting I did up grade the shifting buttons to paddle shifters, mimicking what I had on the Cayman GTS.

My intent was always to take the 991,1 to the track, so Time Trials with PCA San Diego Region, So away we went.

Performance in the Sport Mode was incredible, way better than I had anticipated. As I understand it, Sport Chrono's Sport + Mode that my car lacks, has a more aggressive shifting pattern...I can't see how this can be, but it does. Bottom line, I have 0 regrets about my "compromise" to buy a 991.1 with a standard PDK. Take your car to the track...you just won't believe the performance.

My car was running in the wrong class due to my error...I was in CC 13, in contrast to its proper class of CC12....the bigger the number, the greater the performance potential of the car. When I looked at the times at the end of the weekend, my car was second in CC 12 class, off the pace of the 1st place cars by about 5 seconds....either he was really quick, or me and my "class mates" were seriously slow. With some more seat time in the car, and with "coaching" from my Garmin Catalyst, I fully intend to bridge the gap...I didn't turn the Catalyst on as I was attempting to learn the car..Next time, that baby is on, running in the Advanced Audio coaching mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by Martin S.:
desmotesta (09-03-2021), Vinh Nguyen (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 11:20 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

Visual made two detailed posts on the 981 forum (981 sport chrono dash clock retrofit (photo heavy)) for the chrono clock hook up and installation which the 991 would be easier and not involve cutting the dash. The software portion Visual also detailed on the 981 forum (981 sport chrono retrofit part 2: software side) which involves a PIWIS2 and a hacked activation code. You also need to install the sport plus button and code it. From his description all functions of the sport chrono package works including g-force displays, lap timers and launch control. The only thing you would not have would be the dynamic engine mounts. I did the clock install on my 981CS and the sport plus button but have not yet purchased the PIWIS or the activation code to complete the sport plus activation. The clock portion of my installation works perfectly as he detailed.
Jim
Old 07-05-2021, 09:49 PM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Didn't realize that Sport Chrono on 991.1 also had different engine mounts, thanks for the info.

I did some more research into the retrofit, from the standpoint of adding an additional Sport Plus button in the center console:

1) Purchase part, about $250 and it includes all switches. I don't think it is possible to purchase individual switches. It looks like this:

Part # 991-613-955-07-DML

2) Enable Sport Chrono mode: In the PIWIS 2 system, it is under PCM > Maintenance Repairs > Function Enable > Sport Chrono. It requires an activation code which can be purchased for $100-$200 or so.

3) In the PIWIS 2 system, click Air Conditioning > Coding Adaptations > Select the key and reassign the function to Sport Plus.

I am not sure if this is going to require a new harness to the center console. My guess is no mods are needed - since it is possible to add Porsche Sports Exhaust system button without any changes (see attached PSE Technical bulletin PDF) to the harness.

Total costs are:
$400 PIWIS 2 hardward
$250 Center console switches
$100 Sport Chrono activation code

I am going to give this a try and report back.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:53 AM
congdoe
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't realize that Sport Chrono on 991.1 also had different engine mounts, thanks for the info.

I did some more research into the retrofit, from the standpoint of adding an additional Sport Plus button in the center console:

1) Purchase part, about $250 and it includes all switches. I don't think it is possible to purchase individual switches. It looks like this:

2) Enable Sport Chrono mode: In the PIWIS 2 system, it is under PCM > Maintenance Repairs > Function Enable > Sport Chrono. It requires an activation code which can be purchased for $100-$200 or so.

3) In the PIWIS 2 system, click Air Conditioning > Coding Adaptations > Select the key and reassign the function to Sport Plus.

I am not sure if this is going to require a new harness to the center console. My guess is no mods are needed - since it is possible to add Porsche Sports Exhaust system button without any changes (see attached PSE Technical bulletin PDF) to the harness.

Total costs are:
$400 PIWIS 2 hardward

Any luck with this? I’m looking at a MT 991.1 and want the rev matching feature.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:02 AM
SafetyP1
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by congdoe
Any luck with this? I’m looking at a MT 991.1 and want the rev matching feature.
This would be cool to have.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:27 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Where do you get a $100 Sport Chrono activation code from?
congdoe (09-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 12:25 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

May be I misunderstood the ask, but why not go the Cobb route and get both PDK and ECU Tune? All and more benefits of Sport-chrono
tilac999 (02-02-2023)
Old 03-22-2022, 05:07 PM
Gnailuh
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wanted to giggle this thread...

I have a 991.1 2016 S Cab. Have the same issue of no Sports Chrono, but does have Porsche Sports Exhaust with AWE setup. But I got pretty far with some mods... Missing one step.

I have Cobb Tune with PDK tune. Combo is AWESOME! More features with Cobb and better tunes than Sports Plus mode. I also purchased the Sports Chrono clock set on Ebay. Installed great. Only 4 wires to tap and it's all working.

What I'm missing is the "Chrono" function on the dash dial. I can't operate the chrono clock... it's just a $600 clock at the moment. I know this is totally not necessary, but I'd assume the car needs to unlock Sports Chrono package via PIWIS2 for this chrono function to come up in the dash menu?

Same as question above, where can I get an activation code? Do I need to buy from dealer? Can this just be made up and unlocked?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2022, 09:11 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by congdoe
IF you could even retrofit this in a 991 which I don't think you can. Assuming you bought a code you would also need a PIWIS that has access to the porsche servers to verify your activation code. ONLY REAL PIWIS with the subscription (10's of thousands of dollars) can access that server. So you would have to use a dealership or indie shop that invested in a REAL PIWIS.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:02 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
IF you could even retrofit this in a 991 which I don't think you can. Assuming you bought a code you would also need a PIWIS that has access to the porsche servers to verify your activation code. ONLY REAL PIWIS with the subscription (10's of thousands of dollars) can access that server. So you would have to use a dealership or indie shop that invested in a REAL PIWIS.
same procedure on a .1 as .2

Old 03-23-2022, 12:42 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage
same procedure on a .1 as .2

https://youtu.be/tjiQIruEEBA

OH you just want the clock. That is easy, there was another post that wanted the rev matching feature that comes with Sport Chrono. My bad
Old 01-22-2023, 02:48 PM
BlackVR
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Total costs are:
$400 PIWIS 2 hardward

Resurrecting this old thread. Would doing this allow for automated rev matching in manual cars? I've been looking to do this for my dad who is getting a bit older now and is having issues with heel-toe. He has a manual 991.1 and did not get sport chrono as he liked the smooth dashboard better. I've been doing some looking into adding the sport plus functionality and surprising him with it.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:52 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

OK, pause in the thread lets wake it again. Im looking at buying a 991 or 997:2 again so im following this with interest. Anyone gotten forward with if its possible to get the clock, (wart), the software and buttons retrofited? Interesting to compare to the 997 where it looks like the sofware and button is possible to
retrofit but NOT the wart that goes into the bus on som way not figured out yet...What is the SportChrono containing in the 991 compared to the 997. 997 is clock, button and software for more responsive engine behaviour. Is it the same
in the 991?

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Retrofit, 991.1