Sponsored by:

Retrofit sport chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 AM
RY991
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
Has anyone tried retrofitting just the dynamic engine mounts themselves?
I was getting adventus after getting sport plus and the chrono clock retrofit to work on my 991 and pulled the bumper off the rear in hopes of finding the plugs tucked away. No joy on finding them, I can say PDAM is a configurable setting in PIWIS but with no harness to plug into I'm not going any extra distance on that endeavor.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Jonathan1982
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RY991
I was getting adventus after getting sport plus and the chrono clock retrofit to work on my 991 and pulled the bumper off the rear in hopes of finding the plugs tucked away. No joy on finding them, I can say PDAM is a configurable setting in PIWIS but with no harness to plug into I'm not going any extra distance on that endeavor.
Hi. I am new to this forum.

What 991 do you have? I have a 991.2 (2016, c4) and would like to retrofit the chrono clock and ideally the drive mode selector wheel to the steering wheel too. Did you purchase the clock, connect it to the PCM and then get it livened up in the settings? Did you bother with the drive mode selector on the steering wheel?

Many thanks,

Jon
Old 09-30-2019, 10:09 PM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 115 Posts

Dont believe it can be done.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:59 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Yeah, that amount of retro fitting is just not possible - several older threads here that confirm the same...time for a new car!
Old 10-01-2019, 06:40 AM
Jonathan1982
8th Gear

Question

I saw the member (RY991) wrote above: "I was getting adventus after getting sport plus and the chrono clock retrofit to work on my 991" - so is it the case you can retrofit the chrono clock but not the drive mode selector wheel?

I would imagine the PCM is the same chrono spec’d or not, and the control box on the steering wheel that the drive selector wheel could connect to is the same. I know the active engine mounts is not possible, but I'm not fussed about those.

Thanks all,

Jon
Old 10-01-2019, 10:38 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

You might be able to install the dynamic engine mounts and power them standalone.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Jonathan1982
8th Gear

Hey, I am not fussed about the dynamic engine mounts, just the clock and the drive mode selector on the steering wheel. It appears RY911 has done it...
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 PM
RY991
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jonathan1982
I saw the member (RY991) wrote above: "I was getting adventus after getting sport plus and the chrono clock retrofit to work on my 991" - so is it the case you can retrofit the chrono clock but not the drive mode selector wheel?

I would imagine the PCM is the same chrono spec’d or not, and the control box on the steering wheel that the drive selector wheel could connect to is the same. I know the active engine mounts is not possible, but I'm not fussed about those.

Thanks all,

Jon
Hi Jon,

I did the retrofit on a 991.1 S, it was not so bad looking back but a PITA figuring it all out along the way. My net in the end was +chrono clock in the dash, +lap timing GPS mode, +sport plus (stiffer PASM and looser stability program), +launch control.

The clock is a simple add using some online parts diagrams I ordered the parts to mount the clock and a cable from a Cayman to splice into the power and CAN Bus. (4 pins) Here are the parts

Chrono clock was ordered separately

The clock taps in behind the radio (I used the PIWIS wiring diagrams to track down power and the bus)

looks like this:

Once all that is done you will have the clock, by default it started showing the correct time, and I believe it showed the timer in PCM without additional programing.

If you want to go deeper like I did you will need to get your hands on a PIWIS computer more parts for the center console (steering wheel I suspect for 991.2) and a handful of time.

I imagine 991.2 would be similar for the clock but can't confirm.

In the end I would say Crono Package if you drive very hard is well worth it, perhaps something to have on the deal buster list. I love the stiffer PASM and loose stability parameters, it made a huge difference on corning with aggressive brake application on entry. With the retrofit the PDK shifts much more aggressively (WOT acceleration), so much so I feel like it upsets the rear end due to not having the electronic engine mounts. I don't know if it feels that way in a factory installed car, no one is willing to let me drive their car that hard to find out

Regards,

Steve
Old 10-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Jonathan1982
8th Gear

Hey Steve,

Thank you for that.

The loom cable you used, one end had the plug on it to connect to the clock, and the other end you cut off and connected as per the image, is that correct? Do you have a copy of the wiring document you referenced pls?

Did you get the ‘sport plus’ button installed? (south of the PDK box where the other buttons live).

I already have the ‘sport’ button, so saying I can get the above working as you did, I suppose I could take it one step further and install the drive mode select wheel on my 991.2 steering wheel (I believe the steering wheel is modular, so I should be able to add the drive select wheel and connect it to the controller under the airbag). Did you try this or know of anyone that has?

The chrono clock and drive select wheel with the 20-second boost button working is what I'm aiming for.

Thanks again,

Jon
Old 10-05-2019, 05:35 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
Has anyone tried retrofitting just the dynamic engine mounts themselves?
Why would you want this? Just finished the thread where folks were trying to figure out how to remove dynamic mounts (due to failures and cost of replacements).
Old 10-07-2019, 07:38 AM
Jonathan1982
8th Gear

Talking

Originally Posted by RY991
Hi Jon,

I did the retrofit on a 991.1 S, it was not so bad looking back but a PITA figuring it all out along the way. My net in the end was +chrono clock in the dash, +lap timing GPS mode, +sport plus (stiffer PASM and looser stability program), +launch control.

The clock is a simple add using some online parts diagrams I ordered the parts to mount the clock and a cable from a Cayman to splice into the power and CAN Bus. (4 pins) Here are the parts

Chrono clock was ordered separately

The clock taps in behind the radio (I used the PIWIS wiring diagrams to track down power and the bus)

looks like this:

Once all that is done you will have the clock, by default it started showing the correct time, and I believe it showed the timer in PCM without additional programing.

If you want to go deeper like I did you will need to get your hands on a PIWIS computer more parts for the center console (steering wheel I suspect for 991.2) and a handful of time.

I imagine 991.2 would be similar for the clock but can't confirm.

In the end I would say Crono Package if you drive very hard is well worth it, perhaps something to have on the deal buster list. I love the stiffer PASM and loose stability parameters, it made a huge difference on corning with aggressive brake application on entry. With the retrofit the PDK shifts much more aggressively (WOT acceleration), so much so I feel like it upsets the rear end due to not having the electronic engine mounts. I don't know if it feels that way in a factory installed car, no one is willing to let me drive their car that hard to find out

Regards,

Steve

Hey Steve,

Thank you for that.

The loom cable you used, one end had the plug on it to connect to the clock, and the other end you cut off and connected as per the image, is that correct? Do you have a copy of the wiring document you referenced pls?

Did you get the ‘sport plus’ button installed? (south of the PDK box where the other buttons live).

I already have the ‘sport’ button, so saying I can get the above working as you did, I suppose I could take it one step further and install the drive mode select wheel on my 991.2 steering wheel (I believe the steering wheel is modular, so I should be able to add the drive select wheel and connect it to the controller under the airbag). Did you try this or know of anyone that has?

The chrono clock and drive select wheel with the 20-second boost button working is what I'm aiming for.

Thanks again,

Jon
Old 11-11-2019, 07:13 PM
ddaudi
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started a thread similar to this one and got pointed here. I'm also wanting to retrofit the Sport Plus mode into a 991.2 that is otherwise equipped like I want. I've yet to see any indication that the drive mode select buttons can be mounted onto the steering wheel and connected. My shop says not possible due to missing wiring harness.
So has anyone been able to add the control wheel/buttons shown below?
Old 07-10-2021, 02:06 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Steve,
Do the parts numbers above correspond correctly to black plastic S. Chrono trim pieces (center dash cover etc)?
'm thinking about doing this to my 2014 C4S sans the seemingly unreliable and expensive PADM mounts. Heck, just free standing Sport plus would be a hoot by itself!

Quick Reply: Retrofit sport chrono?