Sponsored by:

Something tells me I'll need to get a new P-car... :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 12:59 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Glad your are ok.

I personally think it’s totaled. I went through this several years ago.

1) Part costs, labor, storage costs, plus loss of use, plus rental costs are not insignificant. And there is always hidden damage. Several claims adjusters have told me how they have been burned by Porsche and other similar car repairs. They feel the repair shops “low ball” the repair costs to get into the job since they want the business. Then once the job is underway they hit the adjuster with a big supplement. It’s not always true. But it’s a game. Sometimes if the carrier and agent are poor payers or tough to deal with, the shop will just bid the job high so they don’t need to cut numbers to get the work done. Also it’s not exactly like a Honda where there are aftermarket parts they can jam down customers throats at half the OEM cost.

2) Diminished value. They know there could be a claim. And not a small one.

3) Auction prices. These cars end up pulling decent salvage money. And the latest tactic seems to be to bolt together parts from a couple cars to bump up the sale price at auction.

4) Undervaluation: This is what you really need to prep for. The insurance company will low ball you. And most consumers are not savvy enough to fight it. Go online. Start pulling comps. Needs to be same trim level and similar miles. Same year. The agents are ruthless. They even pro rated the wear on my tires. Also, Porsche option lists are expansive. You need to speak to the MSRP or value of your car with the options it has. It’s not like a BMW where all cars of that trim stickered within a few grand of each other.

Last edited by ClassJ; 07-05-2021 at 01:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (07-07-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 02:24 PM
Snowkone
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Wow, sorry to see this happen to your car. I would think it's a total loss. It's not a classic so I'm not sure I would want it back even if it were fixed.

Even if you feel fine, I would still go get checked out. The impact from hitting the guard rail isn't the same as riding on a roller coaster.

You didn't mention your technique you used to "slow down" the car, a lot of people would brake and probably brake really hard. This is the wrong technique, I would let off on the throttle and focus on maintaining control of the car through the steering wheel.
So I left off the accelerator, turn into the spin hard, once I hit the rail - then I slammed on the brakes to slow myself down and kept turning into the curve. I must have done something right to not spin onto the highway - literally stayed 1/2 shoulder/right lane.

I really feel anything - like car truly protected me, no windshield or windows broken, it was amazing how much damage it took as I honestly expected it to be worse or me in the hospital.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:28 PM
Snowkone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Glad your are ok.

I personally think it’s totaled. I went through this several years ago.

1) Part costs, labor, storage costs, plus loss of use, plus rental costs are not insignificant. And there is always hidden damage. Several claims adjusters have told me how they have been burned by Porsche and other similar car repairs. They feel the repair shops “low ball” the repair costs to get into the job since they want the business. Then once the job is underway they hit the adjuster with a big supplement. It’s not always true. But it’s a game. Sometimes if the carrier and agent are poor payers or tough to deal with, the shop will just bid the job high so they don’t need to cut numbers to get the work done. Also it’s not exactly like a Honda where there are aftermarket parts they can jam down customers throats at half the OEM cost.

2) Diminished value. They know there could be a claim. And not a small one.

3) Auction prices. These cars end up pulling decent salvage money. And the latest tactic seems to be to bolt together parts from a couple cars to bump up the sale price at auction.

4) Undervaluation: This is what you really need to prep for. The insurance company will low ball you. And most consumers are not savvy enough to fight it. Go online. Start pulling comps. Needs to be same trim level and similar miles. Same year. The agents are ruthless. They even pro rated the wear on my tires. Also, Porsche option lists are expansive. You need to speak to the MSRP or value of your car with the options it has. It’s not like a BMW where all cars of that trim stickered within a few grand of each other.
Yes - my concern is the undervaluation. I'm second owner, but I have the original window sticker for this. Also had a clean Carfax when I bought it as well as under 30k miles. I've already been looking at similar replacements and similar comps so State Farm doesn't screw me. But I've had them for over 20 years, had a car stolen, and they gave me very fair value for it. I would hope they do the same for the 911. I'm hoping between 80-85k is reasonable (I paid 89k this past March) unless you all think it should be more?

Again - thank you all for the kind words and support! I truly love this forum since I got my first 911, and I expect to be on here for many years to come!
Old 07-05-2021, 02:48 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowkone
Long story summarized:

1. On way to work Friday morning, reduced highway speeds due to rain, moved to right lane for my highway merge
2. Car in front swerves HARD back to middle, not sure why - then notice MASSIVE standing water all over median and right lane
3. Tried to slow down and control, hydro-plane into guard rail, but controlled the spin (only 1) and slide most of it
4. Massive front damage, very little anywhere else, no other car or person involved luckily,
5. I'm 100% fine (been on rougher roller coaster rides), but my car looks terrible....
6. My first 911, normal FE cars this is a total, but because it's mostly front damage is this salvageable? Will be at Porsche Dallas to have tech and adjuster look after July 4th weekend. Current at Dallas Auto Pound after tow.

Am I jumping the gun in looking for another 991.2 or am I believe this will be a total loss by my insurance?

Sorry for bad news on July 4, but it's a total bummer. Only had the car 3 months and was loving it! Softronic tuned opened it up a ton (ran 11.6 @ 120+ on a terrible humid day on Texas Motorplex), have catless pipes coming in, was just in love with this car!

Thanks for any support or information from those been in accidents with their P-cars. Mark my words this won't be my last one one way or another!

Sorry to read about your accident. If this is your first 911, and you've only had it for 3 months, it's definitely easy to get a little carried away with these cars. If you haven't done it, I would recommend the Porsche Experience Center's 2 hour course, as you spend time on a frictionless surface, and a skid pad, which teaches you how to regain control the car when it seems you're about to spin. . . .although, granted, it may not have been preventable.
The following 2 users liked this post by WP0:
CT_Peter (07-05-2021), Snowkone (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 02:49 PM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes - my concern is the undervaluation. I'm second owner, but I have the original window sticker for this. Also had a clean Carfax when I bought it as well as under 30k miles. I've already been looking at similar replacements and similar comps so State Farm doesn't screw me. But I've had them for over 20 years, had a car stolen, and they gave me very fair value for it. I would hope they do the same for the 911. I'm hoping between 80-85k is reasonable (I paid 89k this past March) unless you all think it should be more?

Again - thank you all for the kind words and support! I truly love this forum since I got my first 911, and I expect to be on here for many years to come!
You should be trying to get whatever it costs to buy a similar vehicle today. Prices have gone up since last March. Check all the regular car sale sites.
Snowkone (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 03:00 PM
Snowkone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WP0
Sorry to read about your accident. If this is your first 911, and you've only had it for 3 months, it's definitely easy to get a little carried away with these cars. If you haven't done it, I would recommend the Porsche Experience Center's 2 hour course, as you spend time on a frictionless surface, and a skid pad, which teaches you how to regain control the car when it seems you're about to spin. . . .although, granted, it may not have been preventable.
It's definitely on my list to go to Atlanta for that.. This isn't my first sports car - it was unpreventable as there was standing water all over the shoulder and right lane - too late for me to do anything as the car ahead swerved away and gave me no time to make a decision. Did best I could.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:22 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

It's definitely on my list to go to Atlanta for that.. This isn't my first sports car - it was unpreventable as there was standing water all over the shoulder and right lane - too late for me to do anything as the car ahead swerved away and gave me no time to make a decision. Did best I could.
I have done the skid pad, if you have normal driving skills, I think that one Porsche Experience Driving session won’t transform your skills so that you know how to control the car so don’t regret not having done it before your accident. Learning how to control a car under heavy rain or hydroplaning would require a lot of time and experience IMHO.

Snowkone (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 05:25 PM
pwhite52
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Georgia may be a 'total loss formula' state which means the adjuster will add the cost to repair to the salvage value, and if that sum is more than the pre-accident market value, then generally the car will be deemed a 'total loss'. Since Porsche salvage value could be fairly high, and the cost of Porsche repair (parts and labor) will probably also be fairly high, the probability of a 'total loss' will also be fairly high.

Also, diminished value claims are generally only available on 3rd party liability claims and not on 1st party collision claims. States have different laws so it is best to determine which laws apply in the respective state.

Glad you are safe, cars can be replaced, people can't.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:03 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Nothing is unpreventable. The car in front of you prevented it, didn't they? Likely by maintaining a bit more following distance so that they had time to react when they saw the water.

That said, this seems like one of those things that could have happened to any of us. If you insist on maintaining a safe following distance when changing lanes in dense Texas expressway traffic, you'll risk running out of gas before anyone lets you over.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
koala (07-07-2021), Snowkone (07-05-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 09:49 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 976 Posts

Happy to know that you re OK, cars can be replaced.

Even if this wasnt your first 911, I would say hope that it is totaled. Market values are at record high which may work against you (in determining of it is indeed a total loss) but I wouldn't want my car back after such an accident, even if they repaired it correctly.

Good luck with the entire process.. I went through a total loss ordeal last year, PM me if you have any question.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:13 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

I vote totaled.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:26 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Nothing is unpreventable. The car in front of you prevented it, didn't they? Likely by maintaining a bit more following distance so that they had time to react when they saw the water.

That said, this seems like one of those things that could have happened to any of us. If you insist on maintaining a safe following distance when changing lanes in dense Texas expressway traffic, you'll risk running out of gas before anyone lets you over.
Somethings are probably unavoidable. But some techniques can be learned. I had a friend that was driving in front of me, he oversteered into a ditch. I thought the oversteer happened because he lifted and braked in the middle of a corner but he was positive that he wasn't on the brakes. My dashcam said otherwise.

I absolutely believe that a "driver mod" helps in many instances. It doesn't even need to be at a Porsche Centre or the local PCA. One can go to a local HPDE event, either at an Autox or at a track and learn a lot about their cars. I was on track yesterday and spun, better to spin on track then on the road. This winter I hope to do some ice racing, which is basically driving a car on a frozen lake.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:59 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer16
That's F'd up man. But very funny.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." - Jeff Spicoli.

Sorry about the crash, it just sucks, but glad you were not injured.

Oh, I vote totaled. Trust me, you don't want her back.

Last edited by cutlass476; 07-07-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:15 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Somethings are probably unavoidable. But some techniques can be learned. I had a friend that was driving in front of me, he oversteered into a ditch. I thought the oversteer happened because he lifted and braked in the middle of a corner but he was positive that he wasn't on the brakes. My dashcam said otherwise.

I absolutely believe that a "driver mod" helps in many instances. It doesn't even need to be at a Porsche Centre or the local PCA. One can go to a local HPDE event, either at an Autox or at a track and learn a lot about their cars. I was on track yesterday and spun, better to spin on track then on the road. This winter I hope to do some ice racing, which is basically driving a car on a frozen lake.
Originally Posted by Watson
I have done the skid pad, if you have normal driving skills, I think that one Porsche Experience Driving session won’t transform your skills so that you know how to control the car so don’t regret not having done it before your accident. Learning how to control a car under heavy rain or hydroplaning would require a lot of time and experience IMHO.
From my experience, I think I can rather confidently say that the PEC 2 hour course has probably saved me from half a dozen spins/crashes, that I was able to recover from, and prevent the spin, while driving on the race circuit. In my experience, simply having the experience of spinning and knowing what to do and how to react has been very helpful in preventing spins.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:38 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 740 Posts

Like they say, "look where you want the car to go and the hands will follow"

Easier said than done in a panic situation. That is why you need to practice in controlled panic situations.

Quick Reply: Something tells me I'll need to get a new P-car... :(