Sponsored by:

Smog, PIWIS and now VarioCam Plus

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 06:29 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Smog, PIWIS and now VarioCam Plus

Note: I may need to cross-post this on a the 998 forum as well as their cars are older and may have more experience dealing with smog...

I've posted previously about my difficulties in getting the last sensor into a readiness state for smog. It's the o2 sensor. This past week, a fellow porsche-aholic allowed me to utilize his PIWIS to see I could dig in further.

When plugged into the PIWIS, it actually shows the o2 sensor in a ready state (plug my iCarSoft back in, and it shows not ready, also plugged in another generic OBD2 ready and it also shows o2 is not ready). After poking around for a bit I found a couple of things. Not sure if these are clues to help with resolving this saga though. So any insight is appreciated.

I found 2 fault codes with the PIWIS (again nothing on my iCarSoft):
P1672 Engine compartment purge fan 2: electrical fault (limit exceeded)
P2271 o2 sensor signal biased/stuck rich, bank 1 sensor 2 (limit exceeded)

Interesting enough, when checking one of the settings for readiniess, I got a "sad face" for VarioCam PLUS. (The rest of the screen, I got happy faces: misfire detection, mixture adaptation, other emissions-relavant component, catalytic converter monitoring, tank vent/tank tightness, oxygen sensors, oxygen sensor heater -- all happy faces)

I haven't found much reference to my P2271 error code on REnnlist or the interwebs.

TIA!
Old 06-16-2021, 06:46 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes that O2 code will do it, you will not be able to smog until that is corrected, not sure why PIWIS is pointing to variocam.

The fan is not an issue for smog.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:56 PM
yoda888
Racer

Originally Posted by VII7
Yes that O2 code will do it, you will not be able to smog until that is corrected, not sure why PIWIS is pointing to variocam.

The fan is not an issue for smog.
Weird how I don't have a check engine light and my icarsoft isn't picking it up either.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:26 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by yoda888
Weird how I don't have a check engine light and my icarsoft isn't picking it up either.
the faults are likely not in an active state.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:44 PM
yoda888
Racer

Originally Posted by asellus
the faults are likely not in an active state.
If I clear the faults, will my car go into ready then? :P

"not active state" means it was something that tripped previously but is no longer showing this behavior correct?
Old 06-16-2021, 07:54 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,303 Posts

"not active state" means it was something that tripped previously but is no longer showing this behavior correct?
Perhaps, and yes.

Many scanners report such latched codes as "intermittent" or "stored". I know my Autel unit will discern between active, intermittent, and old, at least on my e39.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:38 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

If you clear the faults, you will also clear all of your OBD monitors, and then you'll have to drive around (or use a tool) to force them back into the ready state.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:30 PM
yoda888
Racer

I can't just reset the specific code? I'm not a fan of resetting everything and going back to zero. Though the hardest codes to get into readiness was the evap and o2. At least I got the evap one set.

I haven't had a chance to muck around with it lately to see if I can just reset the P2271 fault code.

Originally Posted by r00t61
If you clear the faults, you will also clear all of your OBD monitors, and then you'll have to drive around (or use a tool) to force them back into the ready state.

Quick Reply: Smog, PIWIS and now VarioCam Plus