Sponsored by:

Greetings

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 03:06 PM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Greetings

New member. Traded my C7 for this one... picked up a 2015 911 GTS with just under 16k miles. Car fax didn't show much in the way of past services. I do know that the selling dealer performed an oil change at 15,400 miles.
What should I expect going into this car. Any issues to be on the look for? Should I consider coolant flush? You expertise and vast experience will be helpful to new Pcar owner

Last edited by AKKutz; 06-16-2021 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Add requested Picture
The following 3 users liked this post by AKKutz:
desmotesta (06-15-2021), tourenwagen (06-16-2021), Vinh Nguyen (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 06:00 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by AKKutz
New member. Traded my C7 for this one... picked up a 2015 911 GTS with just under 16k miles. Car fax didn't show much in the way of past services. I do know that the selling dealer performed an oil change at 15,400 miles.
What should I expect going into this car. Any issues to be on the look for? Should I consider coolant flush? You expertise and vast experience will be helpful to new Pcar owner
Spark plugs might be due... (should replace if no record)
Might as well do air filters while you are at it...
Brake Fluid Flush
Oil change if not done

Than you should be fine.
Pictures or it didnt happen they say!
Old 06-15-2021, 06:07 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Let’s start with what you do know about the service history. Does the Carfax have any information at all about what happened to the car since 2015? Do you have the service manual book that came with the car? Does it have any info about recommended time/mileage intervals for spark plug change?

I personally would be more more worried about replacing the brake fluid than flushing the coolant. Any idea if/when the fluid was changed?

Is the battery original to the car? (Look for month and year of manufacture stamped into negative terminal, or on the label.)

Is the coolant at the correct level (these cars use a curious side to side indicator in the filler neck)?

How is the ride? What are your cold tire pressures? A lot of service bays will air up the tires to allow for "Vee vill drive ze car on ze Autobahn" speeds, and the ride ends up being molar-rattlingly firm around town as a result. I have to routinely let a bit of air out after work is completed at the dealer on mine. The "Comfort" settings are in your owner's manual...

These would be the immediate things that spring to mind for me. Welcome!

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 06-16-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Congrats on the new car.

If you don't have the service record, assume it's not been done. It's always nice to "zero out the maintenance" with a used car, and start your record keeping process and maintenance regiment. This should always be in the back of the mind as the buying, and properly budgeted for during your due diligence.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Congrats on the new car.

If you don't have the service record, assume it's not been done. It's always nice to "zero out the maintenance" with a used car, and start your record keeping process and maintenance regiment. This should always be in the back of the mind as the buying, and properly budgeted for during your due diligence.
+1 Worse case is something get fixed that needed fixing.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:23 PM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

Agreed and thanks. Previous life spent time servicing air cooled back in the day. Don't mind diving in and getting everything fresh. Car fax had limited info, I have all the books, but nothing stamped. Will check battery, looked at it during delivery, wanted to be sure center lock tool was with car. Prob need to remove wheels and inspect as well.

What is a good source for parts, other than dealer? So much to absorb!!
Old 06-15-2021, 08:57 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

congrats!

i'd do the 40,000 mile service.

https://pictures.dealer.com/porscheo...c236bb8451.pdf

pics of your new car too, plz.

Last edited by jfischet; 06-15-2021 at 08:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Speed2k (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 09:08 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AKKutz
Agreed and thanks. Previous life spent time servicing air cooled back in the day. Don't mind diving in and getting everything fresh. Car fax had limited info, I have all the books, but nothing stamped. Will check battery, looked at it during delivery, wanted to be sure center lock tool was with car. Prob need to remove wheels and inspect as well.

What is a good source for parts, other than dealer? So much to absorb!!
I use:

www.pelicanparts.com and
www.sunsetporscheparts.com

My local dealer is Suncoast Porsche. I bought my brake disks and pads from them:

www.suncoastporsche.com

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 06-15-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:01 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Pdcc bottle replacement

Is at 6 years and imo worth doing at an indie as it can cause other parts to fail due to self contained filter. I would do first oil change at porsche stealership and have them agree to run the vin history and give you a print out of service records. For reference they charge 3x what an indie does but also have them check recalls and service bulletins.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:11 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

It just occurred to me that if you have one of those air compressors and bottle of "fix a flat" goo that you plan on using if you pick up a nail somewhere, it'd be an idea to check the date of expiration on the bottle. I believe they are a lifed item? Not 100% sure if this contraption in the frunk is on the .1's, tho. And of course only if it is something you would like to count on; for a lot of people it's better to call for a tow. I have to go look at my '17 sometime...but I dunno if I'd actually use it...
Old 06-16-2021, 09:14 AM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

Thanks, used to be a tech at an Indie, so I believe I have tools and knowledge to knock out a lot of this stuff.

I know I'm going to need a center lock torque wrench and breaker bar. Any suggestions?

Also, what is the easiest and quickest way to identify serpentine belt? I see there are 2 possibilities. Pelican shows one with PASM but not lowered and another with PDCC.
I know PASM was standard, but maroney shows an 850 up charge for PASM, could this be the raised version?? Also, I don't see any mention of PDCC so I can assume I would need the first belt option???
Not certain.
Rich_Jenkins (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 09:18 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Another easy check would be the air intake pre-filter (frunk) and the cabin particle filter (under the glove compartment passenger side.) These two filters are perhaps $65-$75 online if you need a set and fairly easy DIY. Of course if they are clean no need necessarily to replace.

This was my air intake pre-filter (new on bottom) at last annual change:

This was my cabin filter:

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 06-16-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Vinh Nguyen (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 03:35 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Congrats on your GTS. Let's see some pictures!

Originally Posted by jfischet
congrats!

i'd do the 40,000 mile service.

https://pictures.dealer.com/porscheo...c236bb8451.pdf

pics of your new car too, plz.
Thanks for this document, do you know if it's the same interval for the 991.2 cars?

Old 06-16-2021, 03:52 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
I use:

www.pelicanparts.com and
www.sunsetporscheparts.com

My local dealer is Suncoast Porsche. I bought my brake disks and pads from them:

www.suncoastporsche.com
Additionally:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/ (Lifetime Replacement on all parts)
https://www.autohausaz.com/
https://www.ecstuning.com (same company as Pelican)

and few more dealers that discount parts:
https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/
https://www.getporscheparts.com/
https://www.delawareporscheparts.com/
https://www.harperautoparts.com/

AKKutz (06-17-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 06:31 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Congrats on your GTS. Let's see some pictures!

Thanks for this document, do you know if it's the same interval for the 991.2 cars?
There are some suspect things on that checklist, which seems to be floating around the internet. For example, there is no "check firewall body for drains" item on an factory documentation I've ever seen. In fact @Tier1Terrier offered a strong case for their being in fact no drains at all, in a recent thread (props to him for the detective work). My suspicion is that this particular pdf was generated from a previous gen 911, and various Service Departments pick it up and keep reusing it. Of course that's just my opinion, and why I always suggest folks look at the actual Service Manual that came with their cars.

Quick Reply: Greetings