Sponsored by:

Centerlock cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 08:18 PM
markk222
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Centerlock cleaning

How many of you with centerlock wheels clean all the optimal paste off every time you remove the wheel? Do you A. Reapply paste over old. B. Clean it all off the lock and wheel and reapply fresh. or C. Wait till the buildup gets dryer up then clean and apply fresh.
Just wondering since this stuff is a PIA to get off and seems to get everywhere. I think I have it in my eyebrows by now.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:49 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 164 Posts

I usually just reapply a bit of grease to the threads and then once every 12-18 months I strip them clean and re-grease per spec. I just got done doing this for 4 cars with CLs -- WD40 is your friend for cleaning the old grease off the nut!
Old 06-12-2021, 10:40 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 500 Posts

I jusr reapplied as needed. Last time, i quickly wiped the old off and applied some nice new paste. i ordered a couple tins from motobins UK.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:48 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I try to clean as best as possible and reapply each time - otherwise I find the pins don't pop out easily on tightening.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:25 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I just clean off the old stuff and apply new. If they look dirty, or I accidentally drop it on the floor then they get a full cleaning. If they do not come off as one unit, they get cleaned.

But really how often are you even removing them? I have 2 sets of wheels, and new brake pads. So really it's just for wheel swaps, and since I hate doing that (need to ask the wife for help on the brake pedal) it's really only a couple of times a year.

Yesterday, I had an AX and it was pouring out all day, so the CUP2's are out, and the PS4S needs to go on. I defended to just stay home instead of swapping wheels.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:09 PM
markk222
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I just clean off the old stuff and apply new. If they look dirty, or I accidentally drop it on the floor then they get a full cleaning. If they do not come off as one unit, they get cleaned.

But really how often are you even removing them? I have 2 sets of wheels, and new brake pads. So really it's just for wheel swaps, and since I hate doing that (need to ask the wife for help on the brake pedal) it's really only a couple of times a year.

Yesterday, I had an AX and it was pouring out all day, so the CUP2's are out, and the PS4S needs to go on. I defended to just stay home instead of swapping wheels.
I'm removing them after every DE to do a fluid flush, so about 4-5 times a year. Car is a 18 and I don't know if the original owner ever cleaned them. I did a pretty thorough job of it the first time I took them off this year. Oh by the way, a cutting board and a cabinet clamp from HD takes the wife out of the brake peddle equation. lol
Old 06-14-2021, 02:54 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by markk222
I'm removing them after every DE to do a fluid flush, so about 4-5 times a year. Car is a 18 and I don't know if the original owner ever cleaned them. I did a pretty thorough job of it the first time I took them off this year. Oh by the way, a cutting board and a cabinet clamp from HD takes the wife out of the brake peddle equation. lol
I do a fluid flush once a year, and usually do that as part of winter maintenance and inspection.

While I used to do a fluid flush after every couple of DE days, I got a electronic fluid sensor, and there is absolutely no need to a flush after doing a few DE's. Honestly, I would do it annually, or after a pad change and that's about it. But if it makes you feel good to do so, then do it. I also change my trans & diff fluid every year. Porsche says you only have to do it at 100kmi.
The following users liked this post:
markk222 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 09:46 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I do a fluid flush once a year, and usually do that as part of winter maintenance and inspection.

While I used to do a fluid flush after every couple of DE days, I got a electronic fluid sensor, and there is absolutely no need to a flush after doing a few DE's. Honestly, I would do it annually, or after a pad change and that's about it. But if it makes you feel good to do so, then do it. I also change my trans & diff fluid every year. Porsche says you only have to do it at 100kmi.
Have you ever slowly added measurable amounts of water to see how much is needed to get the used fluid into a Need to Change range? Could be neat to see where you are when you flush the current fluid.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:36 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jack F
Have you ever slowly added measurable amounts of water to see how much is needed to get the used fluid into a Need to Change range? Could be neat to see where you are when you flush the current fluid.
Yes, after a fluid change I added some water and swirled it around, then tested. This was more a test to make sure my tester worked. I added quite a bit of water, and the fluid tester said it was time to change it.
FWIW, hydraulic fluid never goes "bad (if the system is sealed)". It does not really were out, it just collects moisture. That's the measure I use for flushing fluid, but as I said, I also do it every year anyway.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:10 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, after a fluid change I added some water and swirled it around, then tested. This was more a test to make sure my tester worked. I added quite a bit of water, and the fluid tester said it was time to change it.
FWIW, hydraulic fluid never goes "bad (if the system is sealed)". It does not really were out, it just collects moisture. That's the measure I use for flushing fluid, but as I said, I also do it every year anyway.
Nice.

Quick Reply: Centerlock cleaning