Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIWIS III clone, anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 06:07 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts
Default PIWIS III clone, anyone tried this?

Seems like you can get a PIWIS III "clone" at https://www.obd2tool.com/goods-10430...50-Laptop.html

As with anything, I'm a little concerned about getting scammed out of a little over $1k, but it seems like if this works it's worth my money. Anyone on the forums tried it? @love2020 or @rbrunelle - is this where you obtained yours?
Old 05-07-2021, 06:59 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Seems like you can get a PIWIS III "clone" at https://www.obd2tool.com/goods-10430...50-Laptop.html

As with anything, I'm a little concerned about getting scammed out of a little over $1k, but it seems like if this works it's worth my money. Anyone on the forums tried it? @love2020 or @rbrunelle - is this where you obtained yours?
I bought a PIWIS II from them without any issue. Worked as advertised.
The following users liked this post:
enzotcat (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 08:39 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by Joec500
I bought a PIWIS II from them without any issue. Worked as advertised.
Well, wish me luck. I just ordered a PIWIS III from them ...
Old 05-07-2021, 08:41 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes they work
The following users liked this post:
enzotcat (05-07-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 12:48 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Subscribed to hear how it works without connecting to Porsche.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:10 AM
2-Rotor
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...wis-iii-6.html
Old 05-17-2021, 03:02 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Well, the turnkey solution certainly works. It arrived much faster than expected, contents are a PIWIS III dongle, USB cable, Lenovo T450 laptop with v38 and v39 software installed. Looks like it is in development mode because a bunch of German comes up along with English text. It connects to my 991.2 successfully and runs diagnostics successfully, so at least as far as that is concerned, it works. As to adaptations and such - I have not tried it at all. I need to ping the people who sold it to me and ask them if (a) I can take it out of development mode, and (b) I can connect it to a network and get updates downloaded online.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:17 PM
h22hatch
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Well, the turnkey solution certainly works. It arrived much faster than expected, contents are a PIWIS III dongle, USB cable, Lenovo T450 laptop with v38 and v39 software installed. Looks like it is in development mode because a bunch of German comes up along with English text. It connects to my 991.2 successfully and runs diagnostics successfully, so at least as far as that is concerned, it works. As to adaptations and such - I have not tried it at all. I need to ping the people who sold it to me and ask them if (a) I can take it out of development mode, and (b) I can connect it to a network and get updates downloaded online.
Interested to what they say about your questions (a and b). Does development mode stop you from doing anything or just an annoyance? I’m guessing it will be a no go on the updates.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:08 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Highly doubt you'll be able to get updates. You are effectively using a bootleg copy of a $25,000 setup that calls home and verifies stuff if my understanding is correct.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:52 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by asellus
Highly doubt you'll be able to get updates. You are effectively using a bootleg copy of a $25,000 setup that calls home and verifies stuff if my understanding is correct.
Agreed entirely. More interested to see if it can connect as far as certain adaptations are concerned - again just an academic exercise because I don’t really plan on using it for that at the moment, but I believe that these need to the system to be online. More useful for things like putting the parking brakes into service position, etc. and for better diagnostic scanning of faults. For example, I discovered a couple of faults that were a result of switching out the PASM module - totally benign, but didn’t show up with a cheapo OBD scanner. And naturally because I’m still dealing with the P24D6 thing I wanted to see if I could get more information from the system by using PIWIS. For that I have to wait until I induce the fault again.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:33 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 364 Posts

What I would like to know is: For the Auto Stop/Start Switch (991.2), Can you change the selection in the software from "Active at Start-up" to "Last Position at Start-up" or "Disabled at Start-up" ?

Crap, I would pay a few hundred buck to get that changed! The 2 closest Porsche dealer will not do it, stating some EPA rule, and I rather not add the "T-Design" aftermarket module under the airbag if its a simple "Check Box" selection that already exists in the cars software.

The following 2 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
docskeet (05-19-2021), jfischet (06-03-2022)
Old 05-18-2021, 12:35 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by h22hatch
Does development mode stop you from doing anything or just an annoyance? I’m guessing it will be a no go on the updates.
It’s a bit of an annoyance having to translate the German. However, it appears that version 39.900 is English/German development mode, and 38.200 is English/production mode - you can boot between the two. Regarding capabilities, it looks like development mode gives you the ability to do “coding without rules”, whatever that actually means. I’m not about to try it just to discover that it turns the car into an expensive lawn ornament.

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
What I would like to know is: For the Auto Stop/Start Switch (991.2), Can you change the selection in the software from "Active at Start-up" to "Last Position at Start-up" or "Disabled at Start-up" ?
Crap, I would pay a few hundred buck to get that changed! The 2 closest Porsche dealer will not do it, stating some EPA rule, and I rather not add the "T-Design" aftermarket module under the airbag if its a simple "Check Box" selection that already exists in the cars software.

I played around with things a little in simulation mode (if you don’t connect the VCI, you get a prompt to “press F12 to enter simulation mode”). In diagnostics, you can enter the “Coding programming” option after selecting the DME control unit (there are 10 to a bazillion control units depending on the car model you select).

In the Coding programming, you can find the coding value of 642 - START/STOP FUNCTION. It has an “installed”/“changed” column, and if you click on the “installed” it seems like you can make it look like it is *not* installed. And then I’d imagine you would write that coding out to the vehicle. So yes, it looks like you can, in fact, do that. Maybe something an Indy shop could do for you.

See START/STOP function highlighted. Note the no check mark in the “Installed” column, and the pencil in the “Changed” column - that’s because I clicked on it and changed the value. I *assume* this would write the changed value out to the car and disable the start/stop function, but I am honestly not about to test it out on my car.

Last edited by enzotcat; 05-18-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:02 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

regarding the AS/S, it's likely the same as what APR does on their AS/S "inversion" -- it's a full delete.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:01 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by asellus
regarding the AS/S, it's likely the same as what APR does on their AS/S "inversion" -- it's a full delete.
Interestingly enough it doesn’t even show up when connected to my car, so they must have a very thorough delete.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:15 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 364 Posts

@enzotcat - Many thanks for looking into my Auto Stop/Start coding question. I am a little confused by the statements suggesting "deleting" the functionality. Maybe I am miss-interpreting your words, yet my understanding was that the software already had the options of how the AS/S system should behave at Vehicle Start-Up.

I pulled the following from another thread, where they talk about using a PIWIS 3 in "Engineering Mode" to make the selection.........

Originally Posted by KINGSRULE View Post
Thank you but I should have clarified I don't want to press any button when I start the car to have auto s/s off

From what i can gather with the Porsche PIWIS u can program auto s/s:

Always ON
Always OFF
Remember last setting

But I haven't confirmed that it has/can be done on US cars....

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
Definitely can be done on US cars. Need a PIWIS 3 in engineering mode so the dealer will not do it.
I can do it in a few minutes. Here is a picture of the screen taken from a 971 gateway module in engineering mode, manual programing area.

as you can see Stop prohibition is a selectable option.

​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: PIWIS III clone, anyone tried this?