PIWIS III clone, anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 11:26 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Interestingly enough it doesn’t even show up when connected to my car, so they must have a very thorough delete.
Lucky you, I get the yellow dash icon if I push the button in non-sport modes, as if something like engine temperature or voltage is keeping it from stopping!
Old 06-03-2022, 07:30 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,730 Likes on 2,748 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Well, the turnkey solution certainly works. It arrived much faster than expected, contents are a PIWIS III dongle, USB cable, Lenovo T450 laptop with v38 and v39 software installed. Looks like it is in development mode because a bunch of German comes up along with English text. It connects to my 991.2 successfully and runs diagnostics successfully, so at least as far as that is concerned, it works. As to adaptations and such - I have not tried it at all. I need to ping the people who sold it to me and ask them if (a) I can take it out of development mode, and (b) I can connect it to a network and get updates downloaded online.
Are you still happy with your purchase, I see your comments about one of the bootable version being German, but one not? Can you select English in the menu to change the language?

I see they now offer later versions of software, did you determine what it costs to upgrade through them?

Cheers!
Old 06-03-2022, 07:47 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

i wonder if there is a setting to make my 2012.5 MT display the selected gear in the display BEFORE i release the clutch. (yeah, i'm still on about this one)
Old 06-04-2022, 01:06 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
i wonder if there is a setting to make my 2012.5 MT display the selected gear in the display BEFORE i release the clutch. (yeah, i'm still on about this one)
Isn't that a calculation of engine speed vs wheel speed to determine gear, and not a sensor within each gear gate? If so, then your wish isn't possible.

edit- but oh wait, if auto rev matching is possible, then this would be too. hmm.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:09 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Isn't that a calculation of engine speed vs wheel speed to determine gear, and not a sensor within each gear gate? If so, then your wish isn't possible.

edit- but oh wait, if auto rev matching is possible, then this would be too. hmm.
it's possible because some of them have it i just don't know if 1) it's possible with a 2012.5 2) it's possible without sports chrono. (i'd but the laptop just for this if i knew it would work, honestly)

Quick Reply: PIWIS III clone, anyone tried this?