Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I may have to stop tracking my 991.2 GTS4 because...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 11:08 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 285 Posts

The 992 GT3 is clearly a beast of a car. The new front end is likely to be a wild improvement. It's now basically an RS in standard form. From what I gather you need to be prepared for a stiffer ride from the previous generation which was totally daily drivable. You're still going to want a bar and a harness or you will still be digging the left knee into the door and dash, even with the buckets. I would never discourage anyone from a 3, let alone the new 3, but I can't help but think from your original post that you would enjoy the dual nature of your GTS by potentially putting in a folding seat and bar that can still utilize the rear seats if needed, similar to what MarinB is running. There is something great about a 911 that gets used on and off track, in a multitude of roles and experiences. Whatever you decide it sounds like you're enjoying the track and should do whatever best enables that pursuit.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 345 Posts

The fix won't be cheap. Here is the "cure"!
  • Cantrell 1/2 cage, about $2,500 + shipping + labor to install,
  • Two racing seats, $2,000 to $5,000, maybe more,
  • Seat mounts, $500,
  • Set of Schroth Harnesses, $900
  • HANS device, about $500
I drove a 2015 Cayman GTS with stock belts, and I was a little sore post weekend...I also drove a 2020 Mustang GT Performance Package 1, sore with this one too. Here is the quintessential problem. The late model cars have state of the art airbag systems, to include side airbags protecting driver and passenger. The airbags are installed on the left side of the seat for driver, right side of the passenger seat for passenger. Replace these stock seats race seats and you have defeated a percentage of the air bag system. So it's a dilemma....

I am taking my 991.1 Carrera to the track...running stock belts, I will be sore.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:36 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I feel your pain....

Sounds like it's all about the seating position. You need a better bolstered seat and better belts. Back in the day, I went through the same issue you are having. I would be sore and bruised after a track day.
Then I upgraded my seats and got 5pt belts. I was 3sec a lap quicker out of the box, and had no bruises or fatigue at the end of a track day. It was such and upgrade, that I consider it part of getting better brake pads.

Now that being said, I did get a GT3, it's next level, and the best track car out of the box available. My car is stock, haven't even done an alignment yet, but I have the CF bucket seats. These are the best factory seats I have ever used! Even with the 3pt belts I stay in the seat! I'm pulling 1.6g on a couple of corners.

IMHO, a good seat will transform your experience.

Quick Reply: Help! I may have to stop tracking my 991.2 GTS4 because...