Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I may have to stop tracking my 991.2 GTS4 because...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 06:47 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by marinb
That's what I did to my GTS. Put in OEM Folding Bucket seats. Still need to use both back seats for the kids on non-track days.

Very cool setup! Seems like you have best of both worlds!
Old 04-29-2021, 08:15 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 452 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Watson
Wrt accident : I had the same idea. I think it depends on whether you are driving 8/10 or 10/10. Keep a margin or want to explore the limits and if you want to explore the limits, you are likely to experience a crash at some point. I guess all racing pilots crashed at some point, maybe that’s part of the learning process? I remember the late Sabine Schmidt saying she crashed countless times on the Nordschleife.
Indeed! Me last month, filmed from the car behind me:

Spin out vid

The following users liked this post:
nevennett (05-14-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 08:31 PM
bighoward503
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by marinb;[url=tel:17400085
17400085[/url]]That's what I did to my GTS. Put in OEM Folding Bucket seats. Still need to use both back seats for the kids on non-track days.

What setup is this? TIA.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:16 AM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bighoward503
What setup is this? TIA.
These are the OEM Euro 991 Folding Sport Bucket Seats, and TPC Harness Bar.

Install took a bit of effort to figure out, documented here on post #108.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1078...l#post16339172
Old 04-30-2021, 02:41 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Replace the seats if you slide around too much.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:57 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Agree that folding buckets should be your first step. Keep in mind if you're tall, they may not work super well for you. May need lowering brackets and thinner foam.

Then if you want harnesses, I'd go with the setup shown above. Seems ideal.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:07 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Working with what you have, it sounds like you're sliding around a lot in the seat. A couple of solutions that I have read are to use a CG Lock or to lock in the seat belt by sliding the seat all the way, sharply tugging on the shoulder section to lock the belt in place, then moving the seat forward, doing so locks the seatbelt into place at the lap and shoulder. Kneepads might help too.
this.

i too have a .2 4GTS with 18 way seats. next time you are at the track, get to your racing driving position, slide your seat back for about a second or two, buckle your seatbeat and pull on it tight so its tight against your chest, then yank the belt so the belt locks. hold that lock and let the seat memory take it back to your driving position. it takes a few trys but once you get it right you will get that belt tight on you, locked, and it will be as good as a harness (in a budget). i do this always when I track and it holds me locked in place so well that i hardly even use the deadpedal. you will love it.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:12 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 222 Posts

You need this, it is what I use

Problem solved, from one track nut to another
Old 05-01-2021, 03:19 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

PCA review the CG lock...

Yes I've been using it for years at HPDE with 3 gens of 911's.

IT IS NOT A RACE HARNESS - but will help operator.

Last edited by snake eyes; 05-01-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:15 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,440 Likes on 910 Posts

I think all the track rats with the beater Miata’s have the right answer. Have track fun in a car where your maximum risk exposure is $5k. BTW- some of those Miata guys are pretty damn fast too!
Old 05-02-2021, 01:30 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I think all the track rats with the beater Miata’s have the right answer. Have track fun in a car where your maximum risk exposure is $5k. BTW- some of those Miata guys are pretty damn fast too!
I would go so far to say the average Spec Miata driver is better than your average Porsche track day driver. As the Miata is very limited on power, the driver has to learn to extract every single bit of corner speed. And they can drive their cars on the ragged edge or over learning those limits because the cars and parts are cheap.
The following 2 users liked this post by spdracerut:
GT3FZS (05-03-2021), Wujohn (05-15-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 12:44 PM
CaptainOblivious
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, a lot of good ideas here.

Snake eyes:
I remember the CG locks from years ago (like 2005'ish), they were popular among my group back then, I even had one in a Subaru STI for a few events before buying a full race seat and harness. As I recall it was a bit clunky but a very good low-cost improvement.

USCCharles:
I have tried to make the 3pt belt "lock" by pulling it out all the way, yanking, etc., but have never tried your method of locking in further back and moving the seat forward. I will try this on my next lapping day for sure. Thanks!

MarinB:
Your solution is SPECTACULAR, that is exactly what I wish I could have ordered from Porsche in the first place. I looked at your thread and while mega-impressed with your job, unfortunately I am so the wrong guy to embark on such a project or even endure the neuroses of having it done by a pro.

Re getting a Miata or similar as a track car, I agree completely with the sentiment and have lived it to some extent. I started in karts and when moving to cars I began with a modest VW Golf and gradually moved up to faster cars, culminating in the aforementioned Subaru which was moderately track-prepped and pretty fast. After that I "retired" from motorsports to raise a family, make some money instead of setting it on fire, stuff like that. At this point I don't think I could fit a dedicated track car into my schedule (it's a lot of work, at races and between) and campaign full seasons of events. I just want to show up a couple times a year and do some laps with the boys (and girls). Also, having always dreamed of lapping a 911 and now having tasted that, I really don't have the same enthusiasm for another type of car at this stage.

So, having pondered all the possible solutions and gone down each road, again and again over and over, I finally came to the conclusion rationalization that I simply bought the wrong 911 and have burdened it with the unreasonable expectation of being all things to one person. So I did the only logical thing. I called my dealer and put a deposit on a "no-rush" allocation for a 992 GT3 with buckets and a PDK. Makes total sense, right? Never mind I'm already struggling to contain my existing "fleet" within the confines of property and budget, something will have to go. I really hope it won't have to be the GTS, which I "conceived" and love like a child, and I have a year plus to sort that out. Or my wife may have me committed soon, either way I should be good. Happy and safe motoring to you all.
The following 3 users liked this post by CaptainOblivious:
marinb (05-11-2021), spdracerut (05-11-2021), spyderbret (05-14-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 09:02 AM
ktnielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

Just finished 2 day HP drive experience with Porsche at Barber Motorsports park. Instructions were to bring the seat forward so left foot is against the foot rest and use left leg pressure to hold your self in place. This only works with a PDK tho.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:12 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CaptainOblivious
Thanks everybody for the suggestions, a lot of good ideas here.
So, having pondered all the possible solutions and gone down each road, again and again over and over, I finally came to the conclusion rationalization that I simply bought the wrong 911 and have burdened it with the unreasonable expectation of being all things to one person. So I did the only logical thing. I called my dealer and put a deposit on a "no-rush" allocation for a 992 GT3 with buckets and a PDK. Makes total sense, right? Never mind I'm already struggling to contain my existing "fleet" within the confines of property and budget, something will have to go. I really hope it won't have to be the GTS, which I "conceived" and love like a child, and I have a year plus to sort that out. Or my wife may have me committed soon, either way I should be good. Happy and safe motoring to you all.
992 GT3.. Drool!!!!

I'm going for a mid engine 1LT C8 Z06 for my track car next, with whatever performance pack they got z07 etc... (already made my mind up)
A GT3 is too expensive to put into the wall......
The 911 might go....but would like to keep it as well.
A good track car is a terrible touring car.

Last edited by snake eyes; 05-12-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:27 AM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkj2iPC6tg4
You need this, it is what I use

Problem solved, from one track nut to another
This appears to be sold out everywhere. Is it discontinued?

Quick Reply: Help! I may have to stop tracking my 991.2 GTS4 because...