Car Seat 991.2 - NZ Experience using Britax

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 06:17 AM
nevennett
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Car Seat 991.2 - NZ Experience using Britax

Hi All

There is a lot of information on car seats in the back of the 991, but I thought I would share my experience.

A bit of background. I have a young son and have previously purchased 2 car seats to use: Maxi-Cosi and 2 x Nuna. These were used in our Audi RS4 and Audi A1. The Maxi-Cosi was fitted using the seatbelt. In hindsight this was a poor idea, as it definitely damages the nylon strap, even if it is (hopefully) only cosmetic. The 2 Nuna seats are swivel chairs (Nuna Prym to be precise), I've used the Isofix mounts with these. The point of this is that all of these systems use a retractable 'leg' in front of the seat to stabilise them. This is most definitely not 911 compatible!

The Britax uses a different system. The seat just perches on the bench of the seat. The bottom of the seat lifts up (the so-called "clicktight" system), and you can place either your seatbelt or a provided strap across this area. It would probably damage your seatbelt less than the Maxi Cosi device, but I chose to use the included strap to hook in to the metal hoops in the back seat. I'm not that large but it was quite difficult to get the car seat in place - you definitely do NOT want to do this frequently.

The naming system is confusing too. Like many things, the names change significantly from region to region, so some of the available information is not applicable to this corner of the world. I'm pretty sure anything with a "click tight" mechanism (often in the name) would work. I got a "Britax Marathon Clicktight Verve" with a modest discount. I actually tried the store model outside in my car first (pic below), before purchasing the seat, just to be sure.

https://www.babycity.co.nz/out-about...t-verve-803118

Anyways, I know this has been done a lot, but I sorted this out in a few hours on a Sunday afternoon (picked my car up yesterday!), and it was surprisingly easy overall. Perhaps this will help someone.

Good luck

Nick

The following 2 users liked this post by nevennett:
typehxr1 (05-14-2021), westcoastj (05-11-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 09:44 AM
fullofdays
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Helpful. Appreciate the post. This saves me hours of research
Old 05-11-2021, 05:16 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks for the post! I just purchased a 991.1 (pending inspection), and am already looking for car seats so I can take my 2yr old daughter out for a spin!
Old 05-11-2021, 06:36 PM
nevennett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by westcoastj
Thanks for the post! I just purchased a 991.1 (pending inspection), and am already looking for car seats so I can take my 2yr old daughter out for a spin!
After a couple of years of 'selfish' motoring in an R8, it is soooooo good to be able to share your car with the family! Enjoy in good health.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:41 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 455 Posts
Talking

Sorry, I shouldn't be hijacking your thread. This was recently released by Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
nevennett (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 03:20 AM
nevennett
Intermediate

Gorgeous! Hijacking very welcome. I could feasibly get this too.....
Old 05-14-2021, 03:31 PM
capt.bobby
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a really cheap option for occassional use Walmart sells a small car seat that fits really well. It's called a (Cosco Scenera Next). $49.99. They sell them in simple black/grey colors.

Quick Reply: Car Seat 991.2 - NZ Experience using Britax