Sponsored by:

Anybody here get caught speeding

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 03:17 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Many responses here that admit to speeding, but are mad at LEOs for giving you a ticket for what is an obvious violation.

No reason to be mad, if you got caught speeding, it’s because you made a conscious decision to go over the limit and for no other reason than to go fast, on a public road.

Play, you pay. Think of all other times you were over the limit and got away with it. As to radar detectors and such (I own one), these are just a means to break the rules and get away with it.

Just think about what the LEOs thoughts are when they see us in our Porsches; here’s someone whose got a fancy car who likely speeds all the time, but he’s caught this time.

For the few of us that can afford to have our own, WE GET IT!! lol

We are the types you want to get caught by..lol

But thank you for recognizing how it really is. If only people knew and could hear all our stories.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:34 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 299 Posts

A few years back, I was running late getting back to work. Yes, I got caught on the PA Turnpike and I never saw the officer. I was in my highly modified E90 BMW.
I saw the lights and instantly pulled over, I won't play games with them. The shoulder was pretty wide, but I would never want to see anyone hurt, so I pulled REALLY close to the guardrail and rolled down all my windows with my hands in plain sight.
I watched as the officer exited his vehicle and he proceeded to walk between our cars, step over the guardrail and is now standing in the weeds and brush on the passenger side of my car.
He said he clocked me at 95 in a 65 zone (Yes, the Seinfeld episode played in my head - really, because I was going a lot faster than that, I must have slowed down there). I nodded and gave him my license, registration and insurance.
When he came back, he again was standing in the weeds on my passenger side and handed me the ticket. I said "I apologize for parking so close to the guardrail, but I was worried about your safety and didn't want you standing out near traffic." It is a highway afterall.
He literally took a step back, blinked twice and said "Request a hearing, I'll knock it down to 5mph over." I said TY!!! Next, he asked me what I had done to my car, he had an E46 M3.

For me, it was a matter of taking his safety into account, being super respectful and not giving him a hassle at all that got me off with 5mph, which is a fine and zero points.
He had five of us at the hearing and we all got the exact same thing. The magistrate was super happy and quick to this ruling.
Before the hearing, I spent about 30 minutes speaking to the officer about cars. He knew a little bit and he liked cars - and that's all that matters.

If you get an unreasonable officer, I'd get an attorney for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by rugu6869:
Big Swole (04-30-2021), marcnyc (04-30-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 12:08 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 456 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I tried this last time, didn't work. I instantly admitted it and said, "yup, I was speeding and I admit it. I just bought the car and am giving my buddy a ride. I gunned it at the light to show him what it's got and then I let off. I'm sorry officer, I don't normally speed, just excited".. I was showcasing the launch control and did 75 in a 45.. Although he still gave me a ticket, he was at least nice enough to compliment the speed and said "is this AWD? No wonder you got there so fast!".

I ordered the body cam too just to see how I portrayed myself. Although I was honest and polite, it seemed like I was way too quick to answer his questions and maybe seemed like I was rushing him. Perhaps next time I will slow down with my responses and approach. He still gave me a lecture and the whole "I can take you to jail right now and impound your car, but thanks for being honest."

The court would not reduce the charge to just a fine with no points... It's not the fine which bugs me, it's the points and driving record.

The time before that in an older 911... Lets just say that was a heavy modded missile. I shouldn't have stopped. I was at least 1/2 a mile ahead on a long empty highway when he turned his lights on. Train lengths is an understatement. Had plenty of time and space to get off the next exit and lose him.

I apologize. My advice was for those going no faster than 15 mph over limit. Here the max limit is 70. Above 85mph puts you in knucklehead status. If you’re a knucklehead just handover the registration and license and keep your mouth shut

Last edited by rnl; 05-06-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:46 AM
myusername
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 37 Posts

I prefer a good original joke when I stop someone. If you can make me laugh, you'll probably not get a ticket. I will make sure to let you know, after I'm done laughing, don't ****ing lie to me again. Also, I like to go fast too and don't like writing tickets

To the physician that disagreed with Big Swole. I feel some animosity from your text as if you've looked up from your theoretical text book to watch CNN/ Fox tell you how awful we are. I mostly disagree with your analogy, but agree in the sense that your punishment will be quite hefty. The people in your profession kill more people every year than police do by ten fold. However, I would like to do the opposite of defund your profession.
The following 2 users liked this post by myusername:
Arxigos (05-07-2021), Big Swole (05-06-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 02:24 PM
El_Duderino99
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by myusername
I prefer a good original joke when I stop someone. If you can make me laugh, you'll probably not get a ticket. I will make sure to let you know, after I'm done laughing, don't ****ing lie to me again. Also, I like to go fast too and don't like writing tickets

To the physician that disagreed with Big Swole. I feel some animosity from your text as if you've looked up from your theoretical text book to watch CNN/ Fox tell you how awful we are. I mostly disagree with your analogy, but agree in the sense that your punishment will be quite hefty. The people in your profession kill more people every year than police do by ten fold. However, I would like to do the opposite of defund your profession.
Your "feelings" are incorrect. I've personally saved the lives of many officers with penetrating head and neck injuries and also reassembled the faces of a few who were assaulted or on the wrong end of a projectile etc. No bias or animosity at all in doing my job and doing everything I could to execute the surgery well, which is more than I can say for the way I've been treated by officers as a member of a minority.

As for the people in my profession killing more people than the police by ten fold? Really? Show me the data otherwise it's just you pulling numbers out.

I never said a thing about defunding the police so not sure where you got that from. In fact, I would argue for an increase in funding to be spent specifically on training since it's so obviously needed.

Last edited by El_Duderino99; 05-09-2021 at 02:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by El_Duderino99:
Bud Taylor (05-10-2021), Gary JR (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 03:42 PM
myusername
Rennlist Member

Ok, I'm glad my feelings are incorrect on the animosity part. I still disagree that you believe the female officer will not face consequences equal to your fields consequences. We also weren't discussing saving lives, more your analogy of our respective careers and their consequences for mistakes. I would have to agree that more training is better. However, due to the numbers listed below it seems further training is obviously more necessary for your field. Here are some stats for you -

Medical Field -

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/healt...cause-of-death

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1117251/
Medical errors kill almost 100000 Americans a year

Police/LE -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...82b_story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_..._United_States

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/20...olicekillings/

It appears your field kills anywhere from 100k to over 400k a year to our 1k a year.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:48 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If it’s all the same, could we stay on the car topic for the car forum ?
Old 05-09-2021, 03:51 PM
El_Duderino99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myusername
Ok, I'm glad my feelings are incorrect on the animosity part. I still disagree that you believe the female officer will not face consequences equal to your fields consequences. We also weren't discussing saving lives, more your analogy of our respective careers and their consequences for mistakes. I would have to agree that more training is better. However, due to the numbers listed below it seems further training is obviously more necessary for your field. Here are some stats for you -

Medical Field -

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/healt...cause-of-death

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1117251/
Medical errors kill almost 100000 Americans a year

Police/LE -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...82b_story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_..._United_States

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/20...olicekillings/

It appears your field kills anywhere from 100k to over 400k a year to our 1k a year.
Thanks for posting the data. This is interesting and I will admit to not realizing the scale of the apparent problem with deaths from medical negligence. I would say that the reporting requirements are far more stringent in the medical field than I imagine they would be in your field in that there are multiple people in the room (nurses, technicians, anesthesiologists, often the surgeon) who will report errors as a requirement and for medicolegal reasons. Consequently, you can publish peer reviewed studies on the rates of death from medical errors (as noted in one of your links) but you cannot in law enforcement.

By its very nature, I think it less likely that there is this level of self-reporting in law enforcement -- in fact, some of the cases reported in the media of wrongful death specifically note officers covering up for one another and, consequently, there really aren't robust studies looking at the rate of law enforcement-related deaths. I do find it a bit hard to believe that "only" 1000 people end up dead at the hands of law enforcement and, again, I think this is because of reporting deficiencies. If a patient dies, there's no getting around the reporting and investigation, and rightfully so! And I do fully agree that surgical/medical training is heterogeneous and quality standards are not the same across institutions/hospitals, states, etc.

Thanks for the interesting discussion (though it's off-topic and I, again, apologize to the OP!)

Last edited by El_Duderino99; 05-09-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:57 PM
El_Duderino99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
If it’s all the same, could we stay on the car topic for the car forum ?
Yes, my apologies. I will refrain from posting off topic.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:07 PM
myusername
Rennlist Member

My fault, excuse me.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:09 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 456 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by rugu6869
and said "Request a hearing, I'll knock it down to 5mph over." I said TY!!! .
In Pennsylvania radar cannot be used by other than the State Police and only can cite for speeds more than 6 over the limit.

Up to 5 over the limit there is no assessment of points against the license.

In Delaware county one local judge routinely turns his courtroom over to a local police officer, who (IMHO) routinely violated due process by calling the list and asks each "perp" if they will plead guilty to non-point offenses (including 3111 which is disobedience to traffic control device). if you refuse you have to come back to the court on another day (and days thereafter if the cop doesn't show up).

Old 05-16-2021, 01:45 AM
DocPro
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had that happen a number of times. I got stopped late one night and the young Sheriff's Deputy's first very sarcastic words to me were "I guess you're a doctor speeding to the emergency room?" I responded, "How did you know?" and the Deputy didn't know what to say. I then pointed up the street one block and told him "That's my medical office." The Deputy responded "Well, get going then!" and he got back into his police car and drove away.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 06:17 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
I apologize. My advice was for those going no faster than 15 mph over limit. Here the max limit is 70. Above 85mph puts you in knucklehead status. If you’re a knucklehead just handover the registration and license and keep your mouth shut
Speeding is okay as long as it's 15mph and under, anything over is knucklehead status. Noted.

Quick Reply: Anybody here get caught speeding