Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody here get caught speeding

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 02:47 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 211 Posts

I wish the Vancouver traffic cops were as nice as some of you on here. Speed in the city hasn't been a major issue, rather the traffic cops have been going after cars with "loud" exhausts, "excessive" camber, that are too low, etc... The ****ty thing is, the whole thing is totally arbitrary. They've pulled over a few stock cars, including a 991 Targa 4S with the sport exhaust (though it wasn't even on at the time); in this instance they gave the owner a Vehicle Inspection notice. The owner has proven the car is totally stock yet they are still giving out these notices. The police have even told people that they aren't supposed to use Sport mode in the city. It's gotten quite out of hand.

Slightly more on topic, a few of us were on a drive in the mountains a few weeks ago, we were about an hour away from the city when we pulled into the parking lot of the local McD. The local police "intercepted" us as we entered the town and drove with us to the parking lot. Apparently someone in a town that we driven through had called in and said there were some cars speeding through at 100kms (60 mph) in a 50 (30 mph) zone (we were definitely not speeding here, lol). We were polite and the officer was super chill, he said he was just doing his job because someone had called in, but that he didn't have any problems with us as we were doing the speed limit when he sighted us and therefore just needed to talk to us. After this, he then commented on my friend's 997.2 (which is super low), that he's surprised he hasn't gotten a VI or an impound from the Vancouver police. It turns out that he had also been pulled over by the VPD because they claimed his totally stock F150 was lifted. He said he wasn't allowed to mention that he was also a police officer and in the end he only got a warning. Even he was shaking his head at the situation.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 03:07 PM
Arxigos
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
I wish the Vancouver traffic cops were as nice as some of you on here. Speed in the city hasn't been a major issue, rather the traffic cops have been going after cars with "loud" exhausts, "excessive" camber, that are too low, etc... The ****ty thing is, the whole thing is totally arbitrary. They've pulled over a few stock cars, including a 991 Targa 4S with the sport exhaust (though it wasn't even on at the time); in this instance they gave the owner a Vehicle Inspection notice. The owner has proven the car is totally stock yet they are still giving out these notices. The police have even told people that they aren't supposed to use Sport mode in the city. It's gotten quite out of hand.

Slightly more on topic, a few of us were on a drive in the mountains a few weeks ago, we were about an hour away from the city when we pulled into the parking lot of the local McD. The local police "intercepted" us as we entered the town and drove with us to the parking lot. Apparently someone in a town that we driven through had called in and said there were some cars speeding through at 100kms (60 mph) in a 50 (30 mph) zone (we were definitely not speeding here, lol). We were polite and the officer was super chill, he said he was just doing his job because someone had called in, but that he didn't have any problems with us as we were doing the speed limit when he sighted us and therefore just needed to talk to us. After this, he then commented on my friend's 997.2 (which is super low), that he's surprised he hasn't gotten a VI or an impound from the Vancouver police. It turns out that he had also been pulled over by the VPD because they claimed his totally stock F150 was lifted. He said he wasn't allowed to mention that he was also a police officer and in the end he only got a warning. Even he was shaking his head at the situation.
I know many officers who have illegally modified cars and trucks. We don't cite people for stuff like that cuz its kinda hypocritical. We also never drive them to the office(one time an old salty officer walked around the parking lot giving everyone tickets for tint lol).
The following 2 users liked this post by Arxigos:
AlexCeres (04-30-2021), Big Swole (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 03:14 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto
This is too fresh at the moment......

2 weeks ago pulled over at night, I don' have plates on my car, it's registered but waiting for custom plates. Cop says he pulled me over for no plate and speeding, the problem is I wasn't speeding. Told him I apologize, don't mean to give him a hard time but I knew I wasn't speeding and he turned around and went back to the car to write up the ticket.

I turned on my phone and started recording the conversation from thereon. He gets back says I was doing 59 in a 45 but he was writing it for 49 in a 45, I again brought up I wasn't speeding and he say's "yeah I know that's why I wrote you for only going 49"

WTF??? I didn't say a word and let him move on to ruin another person night. So now I've got to spend time in my day to fight this thing in court. I have a radar detector too and the thing never went off, so I know the point of him pulling me over was never about the speed but more about not having the plate.

Not sure if saying in court that my radar detector didn't go off is a good idea, anyone every done that?
Definitely go to court.
Watch the video first - nothing you could do differently that would have gotten you out of the ticket to start with, but this is the attorney that started the business.
https://offtherecord.com/?_branch_ma...75935135765953
The following 2 users liked this post by rugu6869:
Jeahbladejeah (04-29-2021), uphoto (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 04:51 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Main point to be taken from all of this is:

Every cop is different. Every jurisdiction is different. Every court / solicitor / judge is different. ETC.

There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to getting pulled. Just hope and pray it's someone like me and Arxigos or another car / motorcycle Enthusiast like us.

Just be nice and polite and "play the game" the best you can. Hope / Pray for the best.

And as I like to say, " IT'S ONLY ILLEGAL IF YOU GET CAUGHT!!! SO DON'T GET CAUGHT!!! "

Last edited by Big Swole; 04-28-2021 at 04:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Big Swole:
Arxigos (04-28-2021), Jim M. (04-29-2021), kort677 (04-29-2021), uphoto (04-28-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 04:33 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Arxigos
I know many officers who have illegally modified cars and trucks. We don't cite people for stuff like that cuz its kinda hypocritical. We also never drive them to the office(one time an old salty officer walked around the parking lot giving everyone tickets for tint lol).
LMAO! WTF? Who pissed in his coffee?
Originally Posted by Big Swole

Every cop is different. Every jurisdiction is different. Every court / solicitor / judge is different. ETC.

There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to getting pulled. Just hope and pray it's someone like me and Arxigos or another car / motorcycle Enthusiast like us.

Just be nice and polite and "play the game" the best you can. Hope / Pray for the best.

And as I like to say, " IT'S ONLY ILLEGAL IF YOU GET CAUGHT!!! SO DON'T GET CAUGHT!!! "
Basically, this

/thread.
Big Swole (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 04:38 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 709 Posts

I hate when, after having giving you a speeding ticket that may mean a big fine and points, that they end the traffic stop with, "Have a nice day!"

Really pisses me off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
Big Swole (04-29-2021), KWP1911 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 05:43 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I hate when, after having giving you a speeding ticket that may mean a big fine and points, that they end the traffic stop with, "Have a nice day!"

Really pisses me off.
The friendliness and compliments during and after the citation are indeed confusing. Sort of ingenuine if you will.

"Hey nice car! Thanks for being honest, I know these things are fast and 100 feels like 40... I'm sure you're a great driver and can control the car. It's meant for the track/autobahn... But someone just crashed their lambo a week ago. Take this ticket, it's a great stress burden! Take care!"
Old 04-30-2021, 01:37 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts

Really pisses me off.
any time the officer wanders away in a good mood is a well … a day I can work with.
Big Swole (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 09:01 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 422 Likes on 303 Posts
Default How nice they are seems directly

Related to how nice your car is. I was in my 03 wrangler x, looked a little homeless and had stuff filled in the back from doing some maintenance on a rental property. I was rushing and doing some lane changes to get by a traffic clog. Apparently part of that clog was a staty. He was so agitated I was worried he was going to shoot me announcing he was taking me to jail with his hand on his weapon etc etc. He actually said if you dont have a good excuse im going to impound car, etc etc. I did not bite. Yes sir, no sir. I have to think his extreme aggression would have been tempered if I was in a different vehicle. Its the predator prey relationship. Never tap the breaks. Lawyer went to ct for me after 3 continuances and made it go away. Obviously my take away was to put a full radar lidar kit on jeep and start a full modernization program including all clear leds, a hard top, suspension, linex interior and gunmetal paint. The stop actually cost me 8 grand. Never be the rabbit.

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
any time the officer wanders away in a good mood is a well … a day I can work with.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:30 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole

Could not agree more. My wife was recently stopped in a 25 mph zone going 40. The officer told her that she was going 40 in a 25 zone and asked her how fast she thought she was going in her Subaru Outback...my wife said, well, you said 40, so I guess I going 40. He let her go with a warning - and told her that she was the first person that day not to dispute his account. It's really not rocket science - just be polite

Big Swole (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 11:47 AM
Arxigos
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Related to how nice your car is. I was in my 03 wrangler x, looked a little homeless and had stuff filled in the back from doing some maintenance on a rental property. I was rushing and doing some lane changes to get by a traffic clog. Apparently part of that clog was a staty. He was so agitated I was worried he was going to shoot me announcing he was taking me to jail with his hand on his weapon etc etc. He actually said if you dont have a good excuse im going to impound car, etc etc. I did not bite. Yes sir, no sir. I have to think his extreme aggression would have been tempered if I was in a different vehicle. Its the predator prey relationship. Never tap the breaks. Lawyer went to ct for me after 3 continuances and made it go away. Obviously my take away was to put a full radar lidar kit on jeep and start a full modernization program including all clear leds, a hard top, suspension, linex interior and gunmetal paint. The stop actually cost me 8 grand. Never be the rabbit.
I would have to disagree with you there. I've found that people with nicer cars tend to ask/expect a break more often and get pissed when they don't get one. I think its more how the officer's day is going, his personality and of course your demeanor that dictates how the stop goes, not the car.

I actually made it a habit to give warnings to people who appear that they can't afford a ticket.
Big Swole (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 02:49 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I would have to disagree with you there. I've found that people with nicer cars tend to ask/expect a break more often and get pissed when they don't get one. I think its more how the officer's day is going, his personality and of course your demeanor that dictates how the stop goes, not the car.
I definitely feel like the encounter is driven largely by how the officer's day is going, the officer's personality, and the officer's assignment. So, basically, luck of the draw. The dedicated highway speed trap folks seemingly always write the ticket. I've had times when the officer didn't even pull me over. Just some hand gestures while pacing to indicate I really ought to rethink my choices. Going to guess just leaving or going to shift.

The only time I've had an officer upset with me was when I didn't pull over immediately because the road was awful and there was no safe place. Like extremely unsafe. And here I thought I was being considerate, but the trooper didn't see it the same way. Oh well.
Big Swole (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 03:07 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I actually made it a habit to give warnings to people who appear that they can't afford a ticket.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm known, or was back when I had to do more traffic, as Mr. Nice Guy!!! I caught **** for giving way too many warnings.

I'm a compassionate SOB, and always felt like crap writing a citation to someone that I just knew it was going to just about Break to pay it.

I'm a softy that way..Always have been.
Arxigos (05-01-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 03:13 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
I definitely feel like the encounter is driven largely by how the officer's day is going, the officer's personality, and the officer's assignment. So, basically, luck of the draw. The dedicated highway speed trap folks seemingly always write the ticket. I've had times when the officer didn't even pull me over. Just some hand gestures while pacing to indicate I really ought to rethink my choices. Going to guess just leaving or going to shift.

The only time I've had an officer upset with me was when I didn't pull over immediately because the road was awful and there was no safe place. Like extremely unsafe. And here I thought I was being considerate, but the trooper didn't see it the same way. Oh well.

Most of us appreciate folks that pull off the roadway into "SAFE" areas for both you and us.

Hopefully you explained to that trooper what you did for him.

However, you need to make sure you slow your speed, put on hazards, and give a had gesture or something to let us know you see us and are pulling up the road a ways to be safe.

We just get freaked out anytime people don't immediately comply with a stop (or any lawful command for that matter). TIME to think for the "detained" is NEVER a good thing for our safety. Hopefully you and others can understand what I meant by that. Officer's hesitating or giving perps time to "think" is what has cost so many officers their lives. Most civilians don't / have not reason to think the way we HAVE TO!!!
Old 04-30-2021, 03:13 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Many responses here that admit to speeding, but are mad at LEOs for giving you a ticket for what is an obvious violation.

No reason to be mad, if you got caught speeding, it’s because you made a conscious decision to go over the limit and for no other reason than to go fast, on a public road.

Play, you pay. Think of all other times you were over the limit and got away with it. As to radar detectors and such (I own one), these are just a means to break the rules and get away with it.

Just think about what the LEOs thoughts are when they see us in our Porsches; here’s someone whose got a fancy car who likely speeds all the time, but he’s caught this time.
The following 2 users liked this post by BSO:
Big Swole (04-30-2021), T3X4S (05-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Anybody here get caught speeding