Sponsored by:

Anybody here get caught speeding

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 01:05 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 178 Posts

I've shared this a few times
Reeled in by a very cool unmarked state trooper on a splendid bit of road just over a mile from my home
I had run to the bank to get cash for a tile guy working in my home

I regularly launch on this road, median divided 4 lane - slightly isolated, largely unpatrolled piece of track
On the return, middle of the day, I really kick up a notch as there is absolutely no traffic
and just as I’m about to shift into 4th I see the lights about 400 yds behind
immediately hit the hazards to acknowledge the pullover
Lift and coast to the nearest side street and stop about 50 yds in

A bit nervous as I’m at least double the posted 45 mph limit, maybe 96 or 98,….figure it’s going on a flatbed
very, very cool Statie, he knew a bit about Porsche ( I was in 911)
he had possibly the best fitting uniform I've ever witnessed - almost manniquish
from his posture and body language on exit and on approach to my vehicle I could tell he wasn’t going to write me
no ticket book or clip board, his walk was more of a saunter
He wasn't even upset, never raised his voice,
Looked the car over from front to back and
when he asked me ' Do you know why I pulled you over ? '
I calmly answered ' no question, I was speeding '
he did a complete walk around of the car - never asked for DL / REG / INS
(I won’t soon forget this) he said ‘ honestly, the way the car flattened out in the first right hander, I didn’t think I’d catch you’
a bit more conversation, he complemented me on the car but did tell me to ' keep it cool '
I apologized twice and he actually thanked me for stopping

that was the 2nd time that spring in a span of 6 weeks - different jurisdictions
both stops were no warning & no ticket

took as a blessing and have since cooled it quite a bit
The following 4 users liked this post by Fracture:
AvgPorschefile (04-25-2021), Big Swole (04-25-2021), calijax (05-13-2021), tourenwagen (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 01:15 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Beautifully stated, Big Swole! Reminds me of my dad's direction to me many years ago... If you get stopped, do exactly as you're told while showing respect and humility. If something isn't right and you want to report it or debate it, do so after the fact. I can remember being pulled over as a teen by a cop who was just a jacka** and telling my dad about it. His response was... the respect is for the uniform, the job, not always the person. I, for one, absolutely despise how the media and others are portraying cops today... ALL cops... as if they're all the same. Makes me sick to my stomach. It doesn't take much to imagine a world without LE, and I'm not interested.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

I've been pulled over twice in my life (knock on wood). Once when I was 17 and decided to pace a speeding cop in my 280Z - that was dumb and got me a ticket. Several years ago I was rushing to see a house I wanted to buy; crested a hill and a police officer was waiting for me. Told me I was speeding and I said "Yeah, I know...I was in a rush to see a house" with a hang-dog look on my face. He was surprised and appreciative of my honesty and let me go.

Note I would never normally admit to it but it slipped out because I was mad at myself. Officer Swole and others are so right; treat law enforcement nicely as they are just like all us civilians.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wujohn:
Big Swole (04-25-2021), Manoverpdk (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 02:16 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Funny enough I've never been pulled over in the 911 and only once in my old guards red 987.1 boxster, been pulled over multiple times in my other car: a prius and camry before that.
Big Swole (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 02:17 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Originally Posted by AvgPorschefile
Beautifully stated, Big Swole! Reminds me of my dad's direction to me many years ago... If you get stopped, do exactly as you're told while showing respect and humility. If something isn't right and you want to report it or debate it, do so after the fact. I can remember being pulled over as a teen by a cop who was just a jacka** and telling my dad about it. His response was... the respect is for the uniform, the job, not always the person. I, for one, absolutely despise how the media and others are portraying cops today... ALL cops... as if they're all the same. Makes me sick to my stomach. It doesn't take much to imagine a world without LE, and I'm not interested.
Originally Posted by Wujohn
I've been pulled over twice in my life (knock on wood). Once when I was 17 and decided to pace a speeding cop in my 280Z - that was dumb and got me a ticket. Several years ago I was rushing to see a house I wanted to buy; crested a hill and a police officer was waiting for me. Told me I was speeding and I said "Yeah, I know...I was in a rush to see a house" with a hang-dog look on my face. He was surprised and appreciative of my honesty and let me go.

Note I would never normally admit to it but it slipped out because I was mad at myself. Officer Swole and others are so right; treat law enforcement nicely as they are just like all us civilians.

Thanks guys. I appreciate that you / y'all understand it the way it really is.
We are normal people with normal problems and lives, just like everyone.
We just happen to choose a profession that brings LOTS of heat and judgment our way.
We made the choice (some for the RIGHT reason and some for the WRONG reasons).
Lot's and lot's are getting out though. It's scary for us that have been in too long to quit.

Believe when I say this. NOBODY HATES A BAD COP WORSE THAN THE ONES OF US WHO AREN'T!!!!
That's not to say we're perfect and will always make the correct decision in the Milliseconds that we have to make most of them.
WE MAKE MISTAKES....That's for sure!! Hence the 20+ year senior officer that pulled her side arm instead of her Taser!! Wow!! HUGE brainfart!!
But her mistake was NO different than someone not seeing (or looking) for a car in their blind spot, running them off the road accidentally, and killing them.
Her mistake with not calculated, with no malice, no motive, etc...She will pay a price for that mistake, just like anyone in a traffic accident like I described.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box and just say Thank you to those who understand and support the 99% of us "good" ones.!!

You have my WORD, that I do Everything I can to do the "RIGHT" thing and make the "BEST" decisions in an unbiased manner, in an effort to "bridge the gap" between us and the public.
I also may not always "drive" like a cop either..lol. HENCE the reason I'm NOT A TRAFFIC cop any longer. I'm in Spec. Ops. and Training. One of the senior / lead Firearms instructors.
I don't deal with the day to day stuff as much as the Uniform Patrol does. I did my time there.
The following 14 users liked this post by Big Swole:
AvgPorschefile (04-25-2021), bh1cqx (04-26-2021), ezinternet (04-30-2021), Jim M. (04-27-2021), Manoverpdk (04-26-2021), ngamountains (04-27-2021), NJBThor (04-26-2021), Norsk (05-03-2021), Pb Pedis (04-26-2021), PJ Cayenne (04-26-2021), sam_spider (04-26-2021), shellb (04-27-2021), smilin (04-25-2021), tourenwagen (04-26-2021) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-25-2021, 02:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

There's a little know area of law called Deferred Prosecution. It varies by state. In general, with a very clean driving record, you can ask the prosecuting state's attorney for DP. If he/she is willing they will agree, and ask the judge to grant DP. You'll need to complete some sort of community service, at the ratio of about 1 hour service per mph over the limit. Complete the CS in about 3-6 months, and your ticket is expunged. All this can be done by representing yourself on your court date.

Last edited by LexVan; 04-25-2021 at 02:30 PM.
tourenwagen (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 03:08 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Did exactly that LexVan! I was MORE than grateful for the opportunity to keep it off my record. Lesson learned. In my state you can only do it once every 4 years and it requires a clean record for that 4 years. It's just so hard to drive a p-car like a Prius... unless your systemr, that is.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:49 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AvgPorschefile
Did exactly that LexVan! I was MORE than grateful for the opportunity to keep it off my record. Lesson learned. In my state you can only do it once every 4 years and it requires a clean record for that 4 years. It's just so hard to drive a p-car like a Prius... unless your systemr, that is.
hahah i should also mention that I may have learned about the consequences earlier on and mostly take the 911 only to track or backroads with less risk...

in other news did you know that a 1999 camry can easily sustain over 100mph?
"verbal warning for reckless driving..." i talked my way out of going to jail and then got a lawyer to take it down from 2 points to 1 point that I could go to traffic school for

Last edited by systemr; 04-25-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:52 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

I've gotten a few speeding tickets in my day, most of them unreasonable. I followed the polite, respectful, honest advice - doesn't always work. Webster Groves, MO - got a ticket for doing 42 in a 35 zone in the 350Z. Went to court and had to pay fine and do traffic school to avoid points. Fast forward 5 years and I get hit for 71mph in a 55mph zone on I-64 in Hampton, VA in the wife's 2012 Acura TL (the entire interstate moves at that speed; it was a shameless money-grab for the state of VA). I literally ordered an R3 before I got back on the road - largely because the trooper was unfathomably rude and condescending. I agree with above statements that most LEOs are good people and I feel terrible for how they have been portrayed lately...but when it comes to the state troopers handing out needless speeding tickets I will reserve judgement (*especially in VA where detectors are illegal and 20mph over the limit can see jail time).

NF
Old 04-26-2021, 12:11 PM
El_Duderino99
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
WE MAKE MISTAKES....That's for sure!! Hence the 20+ year senior officer that pulled her side arm instead of her Taser!! Wow!! HUGE brainfart!!
But her mistake was NO different than someone not seeing (or looking) for a car in their blind spot, running them off the road accidentally, and killing them.
Her mistake with not calculated, with no malice, no motive, etc...She will pay a price for that mistake, just like anyone in a traffic accident like I described.
Appreciate the perspective, Officer. I have to say that I disagree strongly with the comparison. Comparing the mistake a trained officer who is drilled on the use of deadly force to a civilian road traffic accident that coincidentally ends in loss of life is difficult to process. A fairer comparison would be me, as a surgeon, inadvertently picking up a scalpel instead of a forcep and then cutting through someone's carotid artery instead of moving it out of the way. The consequences for me would be loss of my medical license and probable jail time for gross negligence resulting in loss of life. I'm fairly confident this officer won't see a punishment anywhere near as harsh but hope that I am proven wrong. Apologize to the OP for the off topic sidebar.

As for the speeding tickets, have gotten a few. The "admit everything" strategy failed 4 out of 4 times. Being polite, admitting nothing, and subtly dropping in a line about profession seems to do the trick though I remember one occasion distinctly where it completely backfired!
The following 3 users liked this post by El_Duderino99:
Beezupra (04-29-2021), Jeahbladejeah (04-26-2021), Porsche_nuts (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 12:24 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

I haven't received a speeding ticket as an adult, IIRC. I've had a few tix for expired car registration which were easily fixed.
I got a handful 18-under though. My first ticket, I had a 1993 Z28 and after about a month I got pegged doing 98 in a 65 trying to get home before curfew lol.
A few more after that too, for much more reasonable speeds.

Of having a Caddy CTS, BMW 550i, and now two Porsches, I greatly exceed the speed limit but smartly. I usually only speed if I want to get around other cars and out of a 'pack' of traffic, and then I'll slow down to ~10 over. Or, just peg it and go WOT when it's clear and then pull back. In Houston, if you're not driving 10+ over, just get off the freeway/Beltway/99, so I blend in pretty well!
Old 04-26-2021, 01:51 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by El_Duderino99
Appreciate the perspective, Officer. I have to say that I disagree strongly with the comparison. Comparing the mistake a trained officer who is drilled on the use of deadly force to a civilian road traffic accident that coincidentally ends in loss of life is difficult to process. A fairer comparison would be me, as a surgeon, inadvertently picking up a scalpel instead of a forcep and then cutting through someone's carotid artery instead of moving it out of the way. The consequences for me would be loss of my medical license and probable jail time for gross negligence resulting in loss of life. I'm fairly confident this officer won't see a punishment anywhere near as harsh but hope that I am proven wrong. Apologize to the OP for the off topic sidebar.

As for the speeding tickets, have gotten a few. The "admit everything" strategy failed 4 out of 4 times. Being polite, admitting nothing, and subtly dropping in a line about profession seems to do the trick though I remember one occasion distinctly where it completely backfired!
El - I have to respectfully disagree with your disagreement - Your analogy - IMO - is flawed for these reasons. 1) There is nothing remotely comparable to inadvertently picking up the wrong instrument and the apprehension of a suspect violently resisting arrest. 1) In an operating room your control most all external factors - the environment, the sound, the light, the temperature, the extraneous screaming, yelling and general chaos . None of which are or could be controlled by the Officer. 2) I doubt very much while in the operating room a person's heart rate is upwards of 150 bpm with massive amounts of adrenalin flowing through their body as I am sure was happening to this Officer. 3) In an operating room there are several other people handing instruments, getting towels/gauze/ and performing various functions in order to keep the room and procedure running smoothly. An Officer has none of that. This Officer, even with years of training and practice, made a grave human factors mistake. At a moment in time where the mind does not have time to think - What do I do next - where time does not allow for analytical thought but is replaced by years of training she unfortunately drew the weapon that her training had reinforced. She did this, not in a completely controlled and choregraphed environment but in exactly the opposite environment. Like El mentioned, I apologize for highjacking the thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phrog Phlyer:
Big Swole (04-26-2021), myusername (05-06-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 02:10 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrog Phlyer
El - I have to respectfully disagree with your disagreement - Your analogy - IMO - is flawed for these reasons. 1) There is nothing remotely comparable to inadvertently picking up the wrong instrument and the apprehension of a suspect violently resisting arrest. 1) In an operating room your control most all external factors - the environment, the sound, the light, the temperature, the extraneous screaming, yelling and general chaos . None of which are or could be controlled by the Officer. 2) I doubt very much while in the operating room a person's heart rate is upwards of 150 bpm with massive amounts of adrenalin flowing through their body as I am sure was happening to this Officer. 3) In an operating room there are several other people handing instruments, getting towels/gauze/ and performing various functions in order to keep the room and procedure running smoothly. An Officer has none of that. This Officer, even with years of training and practice, made a grave human factors mistake. At a moment in time where the mind does not have time to think - What do I do next - where time does not allow for analytical thought but is replaced by years of training she unfortunately drew the weapon that her training had reinforced. She did this, not in a completely controlled and choregraphed environment but in exactly the opposite environment. Like El mentioned, I apologize for highjacking the thread.
Originally Posted by El_Duderino99

Before this turns into a political s**t storm, can I politely ask that we drop this part of the thread? Let's instead talk about breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit. That is something all parties on this forum can agree on (I think).
bh1cqx (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 03:09 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

I'm with Phrog... bad comparison!
Big Swole (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 04:29 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Fracture
very, very cool Statie, he knew a bit about Porsche ( I was in 911)
What is your 911? Seems like he was very impressed with the handling of your 911 :-D

Quick Reply: Anybody here get caught speeding