Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Color and traffic ahead.............

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 10:50 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 139 Posts

Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was a mile from home and was in totally relaxed mode (cops local to me are bored stupid so love pulling people over for 1mph over the limit) and a car in front of me jumps out of the way to let me past.

This then triggers an argument with my wife who starts telling me I'm speeding and intimidating and......jeez
The following users liked this post:
G99x.y (04-02-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 10:53 AM
DOG ON
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
I live in central PA, no one moves out of the way no matter what you are driving:

-If you come quickly behind someone and keep a safe distance they stay on their lane.
-If you tailgate they will stay on their lane and slow down.
-If you pass them on the right they will accelerate to block you from getting on that lane.
-If you pass them and manage to get on their lane they will try to tailgate you or flash their high beams or give you the finger.
It's much the same down here in Georgia. I think it's a two part issue:
  1. Most driver's down here don't actually know the guidelines for good driving (like reserving the passing lane for passing)
  2. Many of those driver's are self-important a$$hats who wouldn't respect the guidelines even if they knew them.
The following 2 users liked this post by DOG ON:
Guards_Red_991 (04-01-2021), rugu6869 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 11:51 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 812 Likes on 427 Posts

Yeah, it's happened to me too. I don't know if it's because it's a Porsche or because it's Guards Red.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I live in central PA, no one moves out of the way no matter what you are driving:

-If you come quickly behind someone and keep a safe distance they stay on their lane.
-If you pass them on the right they will accelerate to block you from getting on that lane.
-If you pass them and manage to get on their lane they will try to tailgate you or flash their high beams or give you the finger.

Never visit central PA, we should split the State into Pittsburgh State and Philly State and leave the middle to the savages.
LOL, Washington State is very much the same! I get a Prius or a Subaru intentionally pull in front of me to slow me down to under the speed limit.
On mountain passes, they see me coming, and slow down to 20under the limit, then as I pass, they floor it.

However, there are times, were people move out of the way, but it's more people trying to slow me down, even when I'm not speeding.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:28 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 298 Posts

Never visit central PA, we should split the State into Pittsburgh State and Philly State and leave the middle to the savages.
It's very similar here in the East part of PA and even worse in NJ and NY.
In NJ, no matter what, they're staying in the left lane and that's it. I have two good clients in Parsippany that I would go to see once a week and I would be able to pass more cars in the far RIGHT lane than the left lane on Rt. 287. The lane was completely open while all the cars shoot over to the left lane and just sit there.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:58 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 62 Posts

This is one of those topics where it depends on the road, time of day and just circumstances. That said a 991 Porsche is not a small car and if your pace is quite a bit higher that traffic in front of you it is an intimidating car that just seems to appear on your rear bumper. On some of my favorite 2 lane driving roads, I've had very polite people pull over and give some space and I've had others oblivious and just ride the middle of the road to be a PIA. On a regular 2 lane, I don't mind if someone is just poking along, I just look for a short stretch of road with no on-coming traffic and just blow by under full power. On very narrow 2 lanes, its a bit more challenging as the slow pokes tend to ride the middle of the lane and it does require a bit more patience to find the right spot to blow by.

On the flip side if I'm just cup-caking along and someone comes up that wants to go faster, I have no problem pulling over and letting them by.

Freeway driving is a whole different ballgame as people tend to just pace each other across multiple lanes. Sometimes you can work through traffic and sometimes it is not worth the effort.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:54 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 300 Posts

The think it's more a matter of the attitude and situational awareness of the driver in front of you than the color or make of the car you're driving that determines whether or not they'll move over. I generally find that two groups usually tend to ignore you (or anyone for that matter): tourists and retirees. The trouble is, we have a preponderance of these two groups in central PA!!

Last edited by DBH; 04-02-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:36 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

… m4s, Teslas, Honda accords, guys in a big desiel pickup truck. My favorite: Teslas (especially the suv) who drank too much of their own "I own a family car that beats a Porsche" koolaid. They seem surprised after the first lane change in a curve 😎

only normal people seem to be in ferraris, mclarens, lamborghini muricallago(sp?)… but then I happily pulled over 🙂

Last edited by G99x.y; 04-02-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:50 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 64 Posts

By any chance, did you notice if the cars pulling over had Canadian plates?

Quick Reply: Car Color and traffic ahead.............