Washing car with foam cannon

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 06:52 PM
rennedescartes
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Washing car with foam cannon

Hello all -
I feel like this is a very very stupid question, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere -

I typically wash my cars with a pressure washer: Foam cannon -> Rinse -> Hand dry

I am a new 991.2 owner (And new p car owner in general) so I haven't washed the 911 yet... I am concerned about getting soap/water in the engine air intakes (Image for reference)... Is this something I need to worry about?
Obviously our cars work in the rain, but the rain isn't full of automotive detergent.... Can I safely just spray everything down and rinse off? Does the intake need special care?

If it makes a difference, my car is a 991.2 C2 and is ceramic coated (including wheels and windows)

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2021, 06:53 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 2,133 Posts

No issue at all. Can spray everything down and rinse off.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 06:58 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,228 Likes on 705 Posts

Just make sure to get excess foam out of the frunk area. Mainly the black plastics and that large battery/accessory cover. If you leave the foam/suds on there to dry they will stain white.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:02 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,318 Posts

It rains pretty heavily in some areas where 911s are sold and driven. You'll be fine giving it a wash.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:13 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

I was in market for foam canon actually since I'm getting tired of calling mobile wash guy at home all the time so I was in market for some quick wash solution.
Foam canon (no hand wash) then rinse off + microfiber hand dry.

As most of you guys are super picky, please recommend me some good foam canon and washing foam.

I was thinking:
BOSS™ FOAMING SYSTEM STARTER KIT
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...Ascend&from=fn

But they recently release a different foam canon (much cheaper):
BRILLIANT FINISH™ FOAM CANNON ENTHUSIAST KIT
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ks&from=Search

Let's hear what our members use.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:39 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,228 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by isugoo
I was in market for foam canon actually since I'm getting tired of calling mobile wash guy at home all the time so I was in market for some quick wash solution.

As most of you guys are super picky, please recommend me some good foam canon and washing foam.

I was thinking:

Just use the Obsessed Garage stuff or similar products to his found on Amazon.

Also, buying your own pressure washer, towels, chemicals, and equipment can all be made up for in $$$ savings by not calling a mobile detailer and doing it yourself... For the cost of 1-2 washes I was able to buy enough equipment/product that will last me 20+ washes.

How much does your mobile detailer charge for a wash/vac? Some dude quoted me $175 for him to come out and do what I can do in 30 minutes to an hour.. If I contribute another 15-30 minutes on top of that I can go the extra mile and dress my black plastics (exterior) + more which can really make the paint pop.

The $99 Ryboi electric pressure washer is more than enough to get the job done until you're ready to buy a Kranzle or something better.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:44 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

whats wrong with a bucket and sponge, car is so small
BSO (03-30-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 07:47 PM
atc1011
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by barncobob
whats wrong with a bucket and sponge, car is so small

haha. Nothing,..fancy marketing
Old 03-29-2021, 09:00 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 592 Posts

I don't get the foam cannon stuff. I do use one, but then I lightly use a chenille mitt with a hot bucket of soapy water to make sure dirt is off, then rinse. Letting soap sit on an entire car for any period of time can't be good for the wax.
sr5959 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 09:35 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by isugoo

I was thinking:

Just to clarify, and I apologize if I misunderstand, but you're saying you plan to foam the car, rinse the foam off, and then dry?

If my car is dusty and hasn't been in the rain, I will rinse it, foam it, rinse it, blow it dry with my Ego blower.

If the car needs to be washed I will rinse it, foam it, to help break down surface dirt, rinse it, and use a two bucket method to wash it. Then blow it dry and using a drying aid, like BeadMaker, if I'm going to touch the car for the drying step.

If you're hand drying the car, but haven't actually washed it, you aren't getting all the dust, dirt, etc.... off the car. And your drying step is going to scratch the paint.

Last edited by iammacey; 03-29-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Icebreaker (03-31-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:03 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Depends on soap. If it's PH neutral it's fine. The point of foam cannon is to break off as much grime as possible so that you aren't rubbing dirt into the car. It also acts as a lubricant to prevent swirls and fine spider scratches. Some people don't care and don't notice the paint damage because it's never been pointed out to them - and I wish I was one the the car washing ignorant.
My cars don't get that dirty. But even if I hit them with a cannon the dust is not displaced completely until it touched by either a mitt or brush or something. A shot of foam won't do it. Or just water. I use a mitt....softly of course. And I understand the need for soap as a lubricant.

I have a water softener that runs on potassium as well as a very high-end water filter. I don't have deionized water and would not be against it but haven't found an easy way to add it.

I would not let a mobile detailer touch my cars. My wife's car? OK. My cars? Nope. And frankly, I love doing it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Upscale Audio:
DaveGee (03-30-2021), SFZ GT3 (04-01-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:54 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Hand Drying ?? = Leaf blower
hcamp19 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:06 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
First, Rinse - Removes larges contaminants, dust, dirt, etc.

Second, Foam Spray and let rest for a few minutes - This lets the soap do it's job to loosen more dirt and grime so that it easily breaks free. it also acts as a lubricant to avoid marring the paint during a wash.

Third, Rinse again - This knocks off the vast majority of contaminants that will scratch the car if you were just FFWD to step 4.

Fourth, Wash with a soft mitt. If you were to just do this step then the small dirt particles would swirl and mar the paint. Dirt on a bit is like rubbing sand into the car and could be literally rubbing sand and small rocks(and whatever else you picked up along the way) into the paint.

Fifth - Blow dry

Sixth, dry with proper towel and drying aid - Drying aid like a detailer, bedmaker, spray wax, etc to lubricate the dry tool and finish off the car.

Seventh - ceramic detail spray, spray way, etx. Adams ceramic and CarPro Reload are a couple favorites. Beadmaker is also amazing. Maquires spray whatever is also fine.
Yeah, I'm with you. Concerned that u/isugoo is planning to foam cannon and move to the hand drying with no actual wash step.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:30 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Geez, must be a Neanderthal. No dedicated specialty equipment.

Rinse with strong water jet, hand sponge, top to bottom, from a bucket with lots of sudsy water. Rinse the sponge every so often.

Blow dry with my trusty Stihl leaf blower, plenty of air.

Open the frunk, rear deck lid and doors, dry off with microfiber towel.

A note of warning, if you raise the spoiler to clean beneath it, there are two small, round rubber bumpers that cushion the spoiler when down.

They sit on metal tabs and are easily dislodged and lost. Lost one myself.

Porsche does not have them available as replacements unless you buy a bunch of unneeded parts as a package, and not cheap.

Found similar ones online I made work.

Last edited by BSO; 03-30-2021 at 03:40 AM.
SFZ GT3 (04-01-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:17 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Hand Drying ?? = Leaf blower
not a good idea... better with a clean soft towel... not shooting dust particles at your cars paint at high speeds.

I pressure wash, apply soap mix through pressure wash... than hand wash... dry with soft towels

Quick Reply: Washing car with foam cannon