Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing car with foam cannon

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 08:31 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Dust particles that harm ceramic coating on PPF? I'm more afraid of trucks throwing stones.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:37 AM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

Do you have the whole car on PPF ?
Old 03-30-2021, 08:44 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

3 whole cars.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:50 AM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure if this is liked, but I really enjoy the Ammo NYC products and training videos on detailing. Check out their website and look at the FrothE stuff. The guy goes into great detail about the best way to clean and clearly explains his methodology and why some foam aerators are better than others. Hard to beat the detailed explanations. His stuff is very expensive though, there is absolutely a premium on his products. They work, though and his videos are pretty satisfying.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 466 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
not a good idea... better with a clean soft towel... not shooting dust particles at your cars paint at high speeds.

I pressure wash, apply soap mix through pressure wash... than hand wash... dry with soft towels

been using a stihl leaf blower and driving the car on dirty highways for years. No sign of damage from either
The following 2 users liked this post by rnl:
BSO (03-30-2021), SFZ GT3 (04-01-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 03:15 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
been using a stihl leaf blower and driving the car on dirty highways for years. No sign of damage from either

I agree. I have been detailing my own cars for 20 years or more and have become **** about it. Lots and LOTS of research and I try to do as much as possible (on the outside) without touching the vehicle with anything except water, soap and air unless it is really dirty. Highly recommend CR Spotless (or other quality RO/deionized wash system) and PH neutral soap. As far as foam cannon, the Amazon brand is just fine and significantly less $$.
The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (04-01-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:35 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
First, Rinse - Removes larges contaminants, dust, dirt, etc.

Second, Foam Spray and let rest for a few minutes - This lets the soap do it's job to loosen more dirt and grime so that it easily breaks free. it also acts as a lubricant to avoid marring the paint during a wash.

Third, Rinse again - This knocks off the vast majority of contaminants that will scratch the car if you were just FFWD to step 4.

Fourth, Wash with a soft mitt. If you were to just do this step then the small dirt particles would swirl and mar the paint. Dirt on a bit is like rubbing sand into the car and could be literally rubbing sand and small rocks(and whatever else you picked up along the way) into the paint.

Fifth - Blow dry

Sixth, dry with proper towel and drying aid - Drying aid like a detailer, bedmaker, spray wax, etc to lubricate the dry tool and finish off the car.

Seventh - ceramic detail spray, spray way, etx. Adams ceramic and CarPro Reload are a couple favorites. Beadmaker is also amazing. Maquires spray whatever is also fine.
I like the above process. I would add:
3.5: Hit with foam cannon again for added lubricity.

4.5: Rinse again. Heavily. Could use a product like Gyeon Wetcoat after thorough rinse. This is a spray on rinse off sealant. Works very well.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:50 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

"small dirt particles would swirl and mar the paint" seems tough to do through my PPF and Ceramic Pro.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:42 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rennedescartes
Hello all -
I feel like this is a very very stupid question, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere -

I typically wash my cars with a pressure washer: Foam cannon -> Rinse -> Hand dry

I am a new 991.2 owner (And new p car owner in general) so I haven't washed the 911 yet... I am concerned about getting soap/water in the engine air intakes (Image for reference)... Is this something I need to worry about?
Obviously our cars work in the rain, but the rain isn't full of automotive detergent.... Can I safely just spray everything down and rinse off? Does the intake need special care?

If it makes a difference, my car is a 991.2 C2 and is ceramic coated (including wheels and windows)

Thanks in advance!
you must never drive in the rain.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:44 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Geez, must be a Neanderthal. No dedicated specialty equipment.

Rinse with strong water jet, hand sponge, top to bottom, from a bucket with lots of sudsy water. Rinse the sponge every so often.

Blow dry with my trusty Stihl leaf blower, plenty of air.

Open the frunk, rear deck lid and doors, dry off with microfiber towel.

A note of warning, if you raise the spoiler to clean beneath it, there are two small, round rubber bumpers that cushion the spoiler when down.

They sit on metal tabs and are easily dislodged and lost. Lost one myself.

Porsche does not have them available as replacements unless you buy a bunch of unneeded parts as a package, and not cheap.

Found similar ones online I made work.
Part of the Neanderthal club too with the two bucket method and Sears electic leaf blower. Only I move into real knuckledragger territory by pretty much only using Griot's paste wax about once per year, and Meguirs spray on wax after every other wash. I expect my 911 to completely disolve into a pile of metallic dust by next month.
BSO (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 01:48 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 460 Posts

bucket here too..by the time U fiddly frick around with pressure washer, plug it it, fill it up w soap, move it around, reverse the process to clean up, put it away Id have my car washed, blown dry and applying spray detailer..
The following 2 users liked this post by barncobob:
BSO (03-31-2021), Rich_Jenkins (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 02:17 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by barncobob
bucket here too..by the time U fiddly frick around with pressure washer, plug it it, fill it up w soap, move it around, reverse the process to clean up, put it away Id have my car washed, blown dry and applying spray detailer..
Mine is easily plugged in, usually already has soap, and moved a few feet out of the garage. Not a hardship.
Yojeffo (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 06:20 PM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Apparently this occurred in Austin, TX today outside a carwash. So, would a foam cannon or wash bucket method have prevented this? Not sure if driver is on this forum. Photo credits go to random internet poster u/caliguy18.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:34 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 460 Posts

it did say drive thru express lane
isugoo (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 07:01 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

I love these kinds of threads. I’ve been washing cars for 40 years but invariably learn something new.

Quick Reply: Washing car with foam cannon