Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose to High End Custom Audio System from Apicella Auto Sound - Background and Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 01:39 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by ApicellaAutoSoun
So yeah, there are a few reasons why Audiofrog over Dynaudio in this case. Focusing on the midbass drivers first.. Dynaudio has what they call an 8" and a 10" in their Esotec lineup (Esotec is what fits the budget for this car). In reality, they are actually a 7" and a 9". Not sure why they market it otherwise, but whatever. A 7 is a bit small but will fit, and their "10" is a bit too large without doing some trimming.
You can def fit the MW182 (9" esotec woofer) in the door WITHOUT trimming.

Here's my installed pic.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:20 PM
ResoNix Sound Solutions
Former Vendor

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
You can def fit the MW182 (9" esotec woofer) in the door WITHOUT trimming.

Here's my installed pic.

Well that's good to know! For what we did in OP's car though, the GS8 was still a better pick. Remember, single 4-ohm on the mw182 vs dual 2-ohm from the gs8. I can get 75 watts to the mw182 with the amp used, or 300 watts to the gs8 with the same amp. Here is a simulation of the two in a Porsche door (estimated 2 cubic feet) with their appropriate power applied. The GS8 has over 2db more output until it reaches down to 60hz, which isn't much of a concern if you have a sub, which in this case he does.
Name:  dBOgiA8.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  327.4 KB
Old 03-12-2021, 03:08 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 599 Posts

Yah in your application with the given power this makes sense, it's a more sensitive/efficient speaker, but I have about 240 watts@4ohms at my disposal so these worked well in my application.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:39 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 742 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Nice. Would have been great to reuse or get the same hold downs that are on the rear deck to make it look OEM.
[QUOTE=ApicellaAutoSoun;17283869]I agree! This is something we discussed. Let me know the best way to contact you so you can pay for the extra labor hours and I'll give OP a call to schedule

I’m not sure why you are offering me the option to pay for this. Did you offer the customer the option to keep it OEM looking or was this not discussed? How much would the factory tie downs cost? Seems like very small up charge relative to the cost of this whole project. For me, it’s the small details. Seems like I might be in the minority about maintaining OEM look.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:37 PM
NY9112
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
I agree! This is something we discussed. Let me know the best way to contact you so you can pay for the extra labor hours and I'll give OP a call to schedule

I’m not sure why you are offering me the option to pay for this. Did you offer the customer the option to keep it OEM looking or was this not discussed? How much would the factory tie downs cost? Seems like very small up charge relative to the cost of this whole project. For me, it’s the small details. Seems like I might be in the minority about maintaining OEM look.
I think he was just making a joke re: you paying for it as we had discussed it and I was happy with this look. Levity very easy to get lost on a forum! It is more work to do the OEM one right where it has structural integrity which is important to me as I actually use it (remember the stock ones is a crossbar so have to make that work with the plastic housing in the birch enclosure with the carpet, etc.). Just drew the line here (good labor not cheap around NYC!).

FWIW, I personally don't think this looks out of place in that you'd really only know about the OEM recessed tiedown if you also own a 991. I feel the box itself also fits right in with the design language and space. The corners are really thoughtful and fill all the way to the C-pillars and the back is curved to match the back wall. OEM appearance and integration matters a lot to me across both my audio solution and my radar/laser, but I get some people are even more discerning or just view the design integration differently.
The following 2 users liked this post by NY9112:
Keith Zemsky (05-06-2021), ResoNix Sound Solutions (03-14-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 08:02 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 742 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by NY9112
I think he was just making a joke re: you paying for it as we had discussed it and I was happy with this look. Levity very easy to get lost on a forum! It is more work to do the OEM one right where it has structural integrity which is important to me as I actually use it (remember the stock ones is a crossbar so have to make that work with the plastic housing in the birch enclosure with the carpet, etc.). Just drew the line here (good labor not cheap around NYC!).

FWIW, I personally don't think this looks out of place in that you'd really only know about the OEM recessed tiedown if you also own a 991. I feel the box itself also fits right in with the design language and space. The corners are really thoughtful and fill all the way to the C-pillars and the back is curved to match the back wall. OEM appearance and integration matters a lot to me across both my audio solution and my radar/laser, but I get some people are even more discerning or just view the design integration differently.
Ahhh...levity. Excellent. Cheers.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:11 PM
ResoNix Sound Solutions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NY9112

Nailed it. Yep, was being sarcastic lol. We did discuss this option, but labor time vs an individual's needs/wants will vary from customer to customer
Old 04-12-2021, 12:39 AM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

@ApicellaAutoSoun

For the midrange, I have seen 100mm Focal K2s, Audison AP4, and the 3.5in Dynaudio Esotars in that location.

I know the GB25 is fantastic, but can you explain the rationale behind using such a small driver when the GB40 is already out there?

​​​​​​I ask because I am considering the GS8 ND2 + GB40 + GB10 combo.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:47 AM
ResoNix Sound Solutions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DriverDaily
@ApicellaAutoSoun

For the midrange, I have seen 100mm Focal K2s, Audison AP4, and the 3.5in Dynaudio Esotars in that location.

I know the GB25 is fantastic, but can you explain the rationale behind using such a small driver when the GB40 is already out there?

​​​​​​I ask because I am considering the GS8 ND2 + GB40 + GB10 combo.
Because I wasn't 100% sure if it would fit. Looking back, I doubt it would without putting in some extra effort or modification. Outside of install reasons, there are acoustic benefits for this situation too. The GB25 can still play down to 200hz at higher power levels if needed, so mating up to the GS8ND2 which can play up to 400hz isn't a problem. But considering that the OEM location is down low and way off-axis, we want the polar response to be as omnidirectional as possible so we get a more predictable response and better sound given the situation (again, off-axis and down low). The GB25 will be able to play up to 3500hz without any noticeable effects in the driver door location. While the GB10 can be crossed comfortably at 2500hz, you want the polar response to be similar between the two drivers at and through the crossover range for a seamless blend, which is important in this car/install considering where the midrange and tweeter are located. The GB40, while it is a great driver, starts off-axis roll off around 2khz, so it's already compromised before the crossover point. Not ideal for this situation. Bigger isn't always better.

Name:  8Uf1xO3.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  49.2 KB
The following users liked this post:
Keith Zemsky (05-06-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 06:01 PM
PJK3
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Because I wasn't 100% sure if it would fit. Looking back, I doubt it would without putting in some extra effort or modification. Outside of install reasons, there are acoustic benefits for this situation too. The GB25 can still play down to 200hz at higher power levels if needed, so mating up to the GS8ND2 which can play up to 400hz isn't a problem. But considering that the OEM location is down low and way off-axis, we want the polar response to be as omnidirectional as possible so we get a more predictable response and better sound given the situation (again, off-axis and down low). The GB25 will be able to play up to 3500hz without any noticeable effects in the driver door location. While the GB10 can be crossed comfortably at 2500hz, you want the polar response to be similar between the two drivers at and through the crossover range for a seamless blend, which is important in this car/install considering where the midrange and tweeter are located. The GB40, while it is a great driver, starts off-axis roll off around 2khz, so it's already compromised before the crossover point. Not ideal for this situation. Bigger isn't always better.

I'd agree on the selection of the GB25. All the measurements and data I had taken suggested that the GB40 would require vehicle panel modifications in order to fit, as (if I'm remembering correctly from last year) the GB40 mounting radius is larger in diameter than the stock mounting radius.
Also, I'd agree that the GB25 off axis performance is significantly better over the GB40 - both from a specification and a tested performance perspective. (Demo room of local dealer had both, and it was noticeably different as you moved off axis to the side of the speaker. The GB25 outshined the GB40 here.)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:24 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by PJK3
I'd agree on the selection of the GB25. All the measurements and data I had taken suggested that the GB40 would require vehicle panel modifications in order to fit, as (if I'm remembering correctly from last year) the GB40 mounting radius is larger in diameter than the stock mounting radius.
Also, I'd agree that the GB25 off axis performance is significantly better over the GB40 - both from a specification and a tested performance perspective. (Demo room of local dealer had both, and it was noticeably different as you moved off axis to the side of the speaker. The GB25 outshined the GB40 here.)
  • The diameter will definitely work, lots of other 4in drivers have been fitted (See Audison AP4, Focal 100mm K2).
  • The depth shouldn't be a problem as the AP4 fits and actually extends 2mm lower than the GB40.
  • The shape of the basket itself might be an issue, as I understand the mid enclosure is slightly cone shaped.
  • Also, if that enclosure is completely sealed it might be too small a volume (GB40 needs at least 1 liter).
  • Finally, there's the off-axis beaming problem previously mentioned. I'm not sure just how far off axis the driver's mid is, and I have no idea how low those Dynaudio tweeters will play but the GB10 will play down to 2200Hz range. Also, you can fix the off axis response with EQ (if you don't care about how it sounds from the passenger seat).
It isn't as if there's anything wrong with GB25s. They blow away plenty of 3 and 3.5in drivers. This is just me trying to fit a larger mid. I wanted to be sure the GB40 haven't been ruled out as "definitely wont work" for one of those reasons listed above.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 04-12-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:55 PM
PJK3
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

• The diameter will definitely work, lots of other 4in drivers have been fitted (See Audison AP4, Focal 100mm K2).
  • The depth shouldn't be a problem as the AP4 fits and actually extends 2mm lower than the GB40.
  • The shape of the basket itself might be an issue, as I understand the mid enclosure is slightly cone shaped.
  • Also, if that enclosure is completely sealed it might be too small a volume (GB40 needs at least 1 liter).
  • Finally, there's the off-axis beaming problem previously mentioned. I'm not sure just how far off axis the driver's mid is, and I have no idea how low those Dynaudio tweeters will play but the GB10 will play down to 2200Hz range. Also, you can fix the off axis response with EQ (if you don't care about how it sounds from the passenger seat).
It isn't as if there's anything wrong with GB25s. They blow away plenty of 3 and 3.5in drivers. This is just me trying to fit a larger mid. I wanted to be sure the GB40 haven't been ruled out as "definitely wont work" for one of those reasons listed above.
Fair enough, if you can fit them then more power to ya. I would honestly love to see it done.

I can perhaps help with one item: I never had a pair of GB40 in hand, but I know the basket colliding with cone shaped enclosure concern wasn't the thing that made me stop.

I just distinctly remember finding a stop point where it seemed to me something was likely to have to be modified to get the GB40 installed.
Of course, my goal was no permanent changes, I was working with a lot fewer examples of aftermarket speakers being fitted, I was attempting to utilize existing adapter plates from other manufacturers (pre-Rennspec), etc., so I was likely overly conservative.
The off axis check at my local dealer was the final selling point for the GB25s, and I didn't think much of it afterwards.

Now w/ Rennspec selling more versatile adapter plates, it has certainly changed the landscape.

Back to the main topic:
The install and component selection from Apicella looks great and the Helix V12 DSP looks to be a fantastic solution.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 PM
ResoNix Sound Solutions
Former Vendor

Not exactly. Polar response is one of the things that processing cannot fix. You can adjust EQ, but the polar response changes relative to that. You can boost to account for the top end roll off that you see on your RTA, but you cannot account for the difference in direct vs reflected response, which is a problem, especially in crossover regions

Last edited by ResoNix Sound Solutions; 04-12-2021 at 10:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DriverDaily (04-12-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 03:59 AM
ResoNix Sound Solutions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
NY9112: I hope Nick gives me props for figuring out that carbon trim piece can be made into a sub ****. I am the first guy I know who came up with the idea, but Nick implemented it perfectly. I actually decided to buy an aluminum trim piece and wrap it in carbon fiber vinyl rather than drill the factory piece.
Funny enough, was going through my photos today of the chalk GT3 we did last year and found the photos of your controller install..

Name:  asYgwyb.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  1.37 MB

Name:  F5zMXLl.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  1.13 MB
fdsdf
Old 10-12-2022, 11:08 PM
ResoNix Sound Solutions
Former Vendor

Little update for anyone wondering, Apicella Auto Sound is now known as Vanguard Automotive Design

www.vanguardautomotivedesign.com

Quick Reply: Bose to High End Custom Audio System from Apicella Auto Sound - Background and Review