Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose to High End Custom Audio System from Apicella Auto Sound - Background and Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 05:05 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Nick,

I sent you a PM on an unrelated topic.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:08 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by ApicellaAutoSoun
Not in this particular situation. That's where some of the Radar/Laser stuff was installed. We didn't do that install as the OP didn't know we existed at the time of his install

Ahhhh gotcha...Another place people forget to looks is actually underneath that back shelf area, there are lots of electronics in there and I think you could fit a small amplifier in there.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:56 AM
smgkc
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by NY9112

Helix V Twelve DSP and NavTV Zen-V under the passenger seat. Tight, but fits and doesn't interfere with the seat at all.
Thank you for this, I have been wondering if the Helix V Twelve would fit under the seat. I had abandoned hope until seeing this.

Last edited by smgkc; 03-10-2021 at 11:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ResoNix Sound Solutions (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 11:07 AM
smgkc
Instructor

Not in this particular situation. That's where some of the Radar/Laser stuff was installed. We didn't do that install as the OP didn't know we existed at the time of his install
I've herd nothing but good things about AudioFrog, but can also say the same for Morel and Dynaudio; I tend to see a lot more Dynaudio then Morel then Focals, installed, can you comment on why AudioFrog was the choice manufacturer here? Not trying to start a speaker war, just curious as this is on my list of things to do and want as much info as possible.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:10 AM
NY9112
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smgkc
Thank you for this, I have been wondering if the Helix V Twelve would fit under the seat. I had abandoned hope until seeing this.
To be honest, I was a bit anxious it would fit but Nick assured me it would and sure enough he was right! Just have to be thoughtful about the orientation and wiring.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:30 AM
NY9112
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

I've herd nothing but good things about AudioFrog, but can also say the same for Morel and Dynaudio; I tend to see a lot more Dynaudio then Morel then Focals, installed, can you comment on why AudioFrog was the choice manufacturer here? Not trying to start a speaker war, just curious as this is on my list of things to do and want as much info as possible.
So I'll defer to Nick on the particulars as he can give a lot more detail on his thought process, but basically I asked him for what's the setup he would do if this was his car using the OEM install locations and with a <$10k budget. Having some flexibility, I also asked for where we start tapping out with diminishing returns vs. higher priced components (and given the OEM locations). I did some research and also saw a lot of great things about the Audiofrogs so was happy with his recommendations.

I'm sure the Focals are great and incrementally a bit better, but were just out of budget (and not sure if you can use the tweeters in our stock locations or if you need to make a custom enclosure). I suspect that's why a lot of other people skip them as well frankly... He has a really cool GT3 build using Utopias throughout besides the subs you can see here, so you can definitely make the midbass fit (midrange is in A-pillar so not sure if it can fit in our stock midrange or not): GT3 Build Log w/Utopias

You didn't ask about the Illusion, but their shallow subs are probably the best solution for our parcel shelfs or passenger footwell just given the depth and sound great for my needs.

Last edited by NY9112; 03-10-2021 at 11:32 AM.
ResoNix Sound Solutions (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 06:08 PM
ResoNix Sound Solutions
Former Vendor

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

So yeah, there are a few reasons why Audiofrog over Dynaudio in this case. Focusing on the midbass drivers first.. Dynaudio has what they call an 8" and a 10" in their Esotec lineup (Esotec is what fits the budget for this car). In reality, they are actually a 7" and a 9". Not sure why they market it otherwise, but whatever. A 7 is a bit small but will fit, and their "10" is a bit too large without doing some trimming. Frankly, I'm not cutting a Porsche unless the owner knows what he's getting into. The OP here is more of a standard type customer who wants good sound. Not some crazy person looking to cut up a car to eek out every last drop. So Dyn 7 vs Audiofrog 8.. The Audiofrog wins in this situation for a couple of reasons. The obvious one is more cone area. Assuming a similar sensitivity, more cone area means less excursion needed for a given output, which means less distortion, and usually less rattles in the door. The other plus for the Audiofrog for this situation is that it is a dual 2-ohm voice coil driver. The Dyn is a standard 4-ohm single coil driver. In this system, the limiting factor for volume is the amount of power on the midbass drivers. If we used the Dyn's, we'd get 75 watts at 4 ohms on each. Not that much for a midbass. Meanwhile, the Audiofrogs will get 150 PER COIL at 2 ohms. This means 300 watts per driver. We're now able to get a ton of power/output out of such an otherwise small footprint system since we can do 2 channels per midbass now. For the midrange, frankly, the Esotec dome midranges aren't something I would ever bother using. I still see zero point in using a dome midrange in car audio. By nature. they cannot play low which nearly defeats the purpose of a 3-way system, they have low sensitivity, and they have low power handling. The Audiofrog GB25, while super tiny has more power handling and excursion capabilities than almost every other midrange in car audio, so it packs a punch while being super easy to install and sounds very good to boot. We ended up using the Dyn tweeter that he supplied because he already had it. I'm not here to try to tell him it won't work just so i can sell him something different. I'm not that type of person. Also, Dynaudio is mostly just popular in the Porsche circles because Musicar Northwest makes kits with them. Per dollar spent though, there are better options, ESPECIALLY on the Esotec line.
NY9112 (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 06:32 PM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

i had a terrible time with navtv with my GTI

I don't think i'd go down a route like this for any car anymore other than a simple speaker replacement/drop in
Old 03-10-2021, 06:40 PM
ResoNix Sound Solutions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gskv
i had a terrible time with navtv with my GTI

I don't think i'd go down a route like this for any car anymore other than a simple speaker replacement/drop in
weird. what happened?
Old 03-10-2021, 06:45 PM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

weird. what happened?
I spent probably a few months with local dealer as well as correspondence with Music Car NW

The NAVTV just wouldn't spin up and turn on in some circumstances; we've tried multiple things including swapping out new units and updating firmware. I was looking for OEM-like setup and it became a Frankenstein unfortunately.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:46 PM
ResoNix Sound Solutions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gskv
I spent probably a few months with local dealer as well as correspondence with Music Car NW

The NAVTV just wouldn't spin up and turn on in some circumstances; we've tried multiple things including swapping out new units and updating firmware. I was looking for OEM-like setup and it became a Frankenstein unfortunately.
Interesting. I have had one defective one, but that's it. Sometimes when cars update they can act a bit finisky without a firmware update, but other than that, no issues.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:34 PM
smgkc
Instructor

So yeah, there are a few reasons why Audiofrog over Dynaudio in this case. Focusing on the midbass drivers first.. Dynaudio has what they call an 8" and a 10" in their Esotec lineup (Esotec is what fits the budget for this car). In reality, they are actually a 7" and a 9". Not sure why they market it otherwise, but whatever. A 7 is a bit small but will fit, and their "10" is a bit too large without doing some trimming. Frankly, I'm not cutting a Porsche unless the owner knows what he's getting into. The OP here is more of a standard type customer who wants good sound. Not some crazy person looking to cut up a car to eek out every last drop. So Dyn 7 vs Audiofrog 8.. The Audiofrog wins in this situation for a couple of reasons. The obvious one is more cone area. Assuming a similar sensitivity, more cone area means less excursion needed for a given output, which means less distortion, and usually less rattles in the door. The other plus for the Audiofrog for this situation is that it is a dual 2-ohm voice coil driver. The Dyn is a standard 4-ohm single coil driver. In this system, the limiting factor for volume is the amount of power on the midbass drivers. If we used the Dyn's, we'd get 75 watts at 4 ohms on each. Not that much for a midbass. Meanwhile, the Audiofrogs will get 150 PER COIL at 2 ohms. This means 300 watts per driver. We're now able to get a ton of power/output out of such an otherwise small footprint system since we can do 2 channels per midbass now. For the midrange, frankly, the Esotec dome midranges aren't something I would ever bother using. I still see zero point in using a dome midrange in car audio. By nature. they cannot play low which nearly defeats the purpose of a 3-way system, they have low sensitivity, and they have low power handling. The Audiofrog GB25, while super tiny has more power handling and excursion capabilities than almost every other midrange in car audio, so it packs a punch while being super easy to install and sounds very good to boot. We ended up using the Dyn tweeter that he supplied because he already had it. I'm not here to try to tell him it won't work just so i can sell him something different. I'm not that type of person. Also, Dynaudio is mostly just popular in the Porsche circles because Musicar Northwest makes kits with them. Per dollar spent though, there are better options, ESPECIALLY on the Esotec line.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, the only thing I might mention is that I believe that Dyn 10"/9" midbass will fit into the door without cuts/mods with the proper trim ring (https://rennspec.com/product/porsche...ers-10-woofer/), that being said I can definitely rationalize with everything and will be looking deeper into audiofrog for my install! The vehicle turned out very very nice and my compliments to you and your shop!
Old 03-10-2021, 09:35 PM
ResoNix Sound Solutions
Former Vendor

Thanks for the detailed explanation, the only thing I might mention is that I believe that Dyn 10"/9" midbass will fit into the door without cuts/mods with the proper trim ring (https://rennspec.com/product/porsche...ers-10-woofer/), that being said I can definitely rationalize with everything and will be looking deeper into audiofrog for my install! The vehicle turned out very very nice and my compliments to you and your shop!
Thanks for the compliments! And even if they do fit, they still only get 75 watts considering they're a single 4 ohm coil woofer. I realize this isn't a concern for some as they don't need it loud, but in a shop environment, we need solutions to many different problems. This install is a great, well-rounded solution.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:44 PM
smgkc
Instructor

Thanks for the compliments! And even if they do fit, they still only get 75 watts considering they're a single 4 ohm coil woofer. I realize this isn't a concern for some as they don't need it loud, but in a shop environment, we need solutions to many different problems. This install is a great, well-rounded solution.
Definitely a fair point, this write up and the information from you and the owner have been very valuable thank you both for documenting your install and answering questions!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:01 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 192 Posts

Yeah, to have powerful Dynaudio MW182 to handle bass without dedicated sub, it's better to go with Helix P Six (120 watts/ch).
But if anyone is really going to have an extra subwoofer, Helix 8 or 12 channels amps (75 watts/ch) would be plenty good for front stage since extra sub is going to provide enough bass from a different amp.

If I'm going to have an extra sub, I will prob. go 8 or 12 ch Helix and without sub option, I will prob go with Helix P Six.

Quick Reply: Bose to High End Custom Audio System from Apicella Auto Sound - Background and Review