Sponsored by:

Numeric Cable Install - STUCK - Help Requested

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 04:37 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Numeric Cable Install - STUCK - Help Requested

I installed the shifter a year or so ago with no issues and finally decided I'd install the cables.

I've carefully removed almost everything, even underneath is prepped, and can't get access to the area underneath the console storage. UGH.

Step #4 details removing the needed Torx screws (4 on the base and 2 in the front) but now I've been stuck for hours at step #5 of the cable install guide.
"You can now carefully pull the console out of your car and remove the cables."

The Numeric video completely skips the details on actually removing the console and Step #5 in the guide states:

Nope.

The front of the console lifts up but it's the rear half that I cannot figure out how it comes out.

The rear seats are out and lifting up the carpet from the back doesn't offer any clues. I'm not sure if there are more bolts underneath the leather console/phone holder section but it's absolutely secure in the rear half.

Any help/guidance would be great. I'm so frustrated that I'm close to giving up and putting it all back together.

In the meantime, I'm still googling and looking for any clues...

Old 01-09-2021, 08:25 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 72 Posts

I had the exact same issue. Lift up the rubber mat in the rear centre console. There are two bolts underneath the rubber mat that hold down the console that need to be removed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarawnty:
ajskydiver (01-09-2021), Catharpin (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 08:44 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

I will check that out right now!
Old 01-09-2021, 09:07 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sarawnty
I had the exact same issue. Lift up the rubber mat in the rear centre console. There are two bolts underneath the rubber mat that hold down the console that need to be removed.
Thank you so much!

I have the wireless charging mat in there so the rubber doesn't pull up fully (only partially in the small rear piece). I had to just pull the charging base straight up and there are two clips holding it in place and I have access to the bolts now.

I'll take pictures tomorrow since I'm watching playoff football now.

I'll be able to sleep tonight and get started in the morning!
Old 01-09-2021, 09:11 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

You’ll have to unplug the charging mat wire to get everything out. The two bolts are at the rear about 2” forward of the rear compartment area.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:23 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 460 Posts

Please keep us posted. Just did the shifter only. Curious to know how difficult the cables are as DIY.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:42 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

I’m tackling this project soon too. Great question, and thank you for offering to post pics. Also, thank you to Sarawnty for a quick response.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:35 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

The only tricky part of the cable install is the centre console. The rest of the cable install is easy if you're able to tackle the shifter mechanism.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:17 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

All done. I have to admit it's a lot more time consuming when it's the first time figuring things out.

My only issue/complaint is that the cables were a few centimeters too long so that when routing them through the rubber gasket they wouldn't come through at the same angle as the stock cables and had to curve a bit once they pass through the opening inside the car. They actually come through the from a slight angle left to right instead of right to left so the gasket would not fit 100%. I spent a lot of time adjusting the cables through the gasket and couldn't get it just right.

The installation instructions should be updated to reflect the additional bolts beneath the storage console. Newer cars that have the wireless charging are probably a bit different than just lifting up the rubber mat.

Here are pictures of the charger to give you idea of what's holding it in there:

I'll be back later if anyone has any specific questions.
The following users liked this post:
marchitect (02-27-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 05:00 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Don't forget to use the silicone tubing on the section of the shifter cable that's outside of cabin. From just behind the rear centre console to the cable end mounts on the transmission :-)
Old 02-27-2021, 11:05 AM
marchitect
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajskydiver
Step #4 details removing the needed Torx screws (4 on the base and 2 in the front) but now I've been stuck for hours at step #5 of the cable install guide.

The Numeric video completely skips the details on actually removing the console and Step #5 in the guide states:

Nope.
Brother, I hear you and am with you 100%. Lots of critical info missing in the instruction manual and videos. I was going to put the car back together without the cables too. But thanks to your thread the information has been FOUND!! Thank you !!!
Old 02-27-2021, 11:42 AM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by marchitect
Brother, I hear you and am with you 100%. Lots of critical info missing in the instruction manual and videos. I was going to put the car back together without the cables too. But thanks to your thread the information has been FOUND!! Thank you !!!
Glad you found what you needed!
Old 02-27-2021, 11:44 AM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sarawnty
Don't forget to use the silicone tubing on the section of the shifter cable that's outside of cabin. From just behind the rear centre console to the cable end mounts on the transmission :-)
Yes, absolutely. The silicone tubing is a MUST.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:33 PM
991.two
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ajskydiver
Yes, absolutely. The silicone tubing is a MUST.
I received the Numeric Shifter and Cables yesterday. Started on the project and after about 2 hours of removing all the center console wire's and radio cables, sensor? wires, plastic side panels (broke off almost all the clips) and hidden bolts, now ready to remove the OEM cables. How do you remove the plastic locking clips on the OEM cable ends?

Old 03-13-2021, 03:09 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991.two
I received the Numeric Shifter and Cables yesterday. Started on the project and after about 2 hours of removing all the center console wire's and radio cables, sensor? wires, plastic side panels (broke off almost all the clips) and hidden bolts, now ready to remove the OEM cables. How do you remove the plastic locking clips on the OEM cable ends?
Best to pry them off with a screwdriver and some leverage. They'll pop off just make sure you pry them straight out as much as you can.

Quick Reply: Numeric Cable Install - STUCK - Help Requested