Sponsored by:

Numeric Cable Install - STUCK - Help Requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 09:27 PM
marchitect
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.two
now ready to remove the OEM cables. How do you remove the plastic locking clips on the OEM cable ends?
To clarify, I think you are asking how to remove the OEM cables from the transmission side and not at the shifter.
The transmission side has metal ball fittings that snap into the cable ends. To remove put something like a screw driver or I saw Numeric use needle-nose pliers between the cable end and the transmission ball-end and simply use the leverage of the screw driver or needle nose to pry to cable off the ball end.
Good luck with your install. Let us know how it came out.
I just did it and have several pointers if I were to ever do it again. But it would be a lot to document in a post. Numeric really needs to improve their instructions.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:43 PM
991.two
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the tip on removing the cables at the transmission. First I must agree that Numeric needs better instructions on how to properly remove the console side panels. They just don't pop off. I have the T with no back seats. The rear carpet formed pad has to be removed because it connects to the rear of the console. Regarding the radio, no way to just let it hang off to one side, Cables (lots of cables) are too short. Best to remove all the radio cables and get that out of the way. I choose to remove my seats (bucket seats) and had more access to all the console wires and hardware & shift cable work. Installing the shift cables was fun. I used the same route as the OEM cables, over the transmission mount/brace and not through the hole in the middle of the mount/brace. Not easy from inside the car but got it through. The cables are a little long (the outside jacket) and the inner cable a little short. Each cable should have 2 of the 27mm? adjusting nuts so you can have more adjustment. I used a few shims up front at the shifter mount bracket to have a better fit. Adjustments of the correct cable ball socket lengths on the transmission shift levers was easy. At the shifter end not to bad but I ended up with more thread exposed on the adjuster coupler nuts than I like. Inner cable a little short. Tested the shifter before I reassembled the console. All gears in place. As for the plastic console panels....I broke most all of the mounting tabs on 2 of the panels during removal. Got them all repaired and mounted but there is only one way to reinstall the panels. That took me longer than installing the cables. Anyway, all is done and took a test drive and love it.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:02 PM
marchitect
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the install. The way to resolve having so many threads showing at the shifter side is to increase the amount of threads shown on the transmission side. There’s a relationship, more threads showing on the transmission means less shown on the shifter and vise versa.
how did you repair the broken tabs on your side panels, epoxy?
I hung my radio from the rear view mirror with a bungee cord which worked well.
I also have bucket seats and removed the passenger seat for easier access.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:51 PM
991.two
Racer

marchitect; Thanks for that info. I should have thought about that. I think it will be fine for now. Yes I had to epoxy some of the damaged/broken taps.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:04 AM
Numeric Racing
Former Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Hey guys! We appreciate the feedback, and are always looking to better the experience for our customers. We will begin to update and improve our install guides, because we really do want you guys to be doing the installs yourselves. We all know it grows that bond with your car when you do. Also, those tabs are fragile and we hear about one or two tabs breaking from customers often. Our tip, if it isn't going, don't pull harder lol.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:09 PM
991.two
Racer

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
. Our tip, if it isn't going, don't pull harder lol.
Well I must admit, I got a little inpatient. Your Shifter kit is great. Thanks
Old 06-30-2023, 08:54 PM
911T991
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
Hey guys! We appreciate the feedback, and are always looking to better the experience for our customers. We will begin to update and improve our install guides, because we really do want you guys to be doing the installs yourselves. We all know it grows that bond with your car when you do. Also, those tabs are fragile and we hear about one or two tabs breaking from customers often. Our tip, if it isn't going, don't pull harder lol.
Two years later and the instructions still haven't been updated. I ran into the same issue as the OP with the hidden screws under the armrest. Numeric, please save your customers the headache / wasted time trying to figure things out and update your instructions!
The following users liked this post:
Sarawnty (06-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Numeric Cable Install - STUCK - Help Requested