GT3 or GT3RS/GT2RS spoiler on C2S

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 03:23 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyss
4 Point 0
Yes the fans are there. I opened the photo on my Mac and adjusted the exposure, and the fans can be clearly seen.
They are too. I was lazily looking for the silver surrounds. The black fans are there.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:06 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

That setup with the swan neck, the decklid has to be chopped up. Or he just used that swan neck with custom brackets only for track days which makes sense but doesn't use a decklid.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:46 PM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
I used the stock crossmember and was able to use the stock mounting point for one of the bolts that holds the actuator and another one that was previously unused for the 2nd one. I had to turn it just slightly to get it working. Originally I fabbed up a U shaped bracket that would utilize both mounting points and hold the actuator that way. Your cars appears to be a .1 so either or will work. 1 bolt is enough to hold the unit in place the way that its designed.
@911. Sorry for bringing up an old post, but im curious as to how you did this? Could you please take pictures? I bought an OEM GT3 Decklid and i'm trying to figure out how it's going to work since the locking mechanism needs to be relocated further back. I was ready to buy an aftermarket fiberglass crossmember thing, but if i could use my stock one, that would be great.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:45 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JuanK20
@911. Sorry for bringing up an old post, but im curious as to how you did this? Could you please take pictures? I bought an OEM GT3 Decklid and i'm trying to figure out how it's going to work since the locking mechanism needs to be relocated further back. I was ready to buy an aftermarket fiberglass crossmember thing, but if i could use my stock one, that would be great.
Do you have a 991.1 or 991.2?
Old 01-03-2021, 11:04 PM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Do you have a 991.1 or 991.2?
@97 Supra TT 991.1
Old 01-04-2021, 12:02 AM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

You need the ones they have in the eBay kits. Even the OEM GT base won’t fit unless you have a GT rear bumper.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:01 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 97supratt
You need the ones they have in the eBay kits. Even the OEM GT base won’t fit unless you have a GT rear bumper.
thanks. I do have an OEM GT3 rear bumper as well.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:25 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

That comment was only in reply to the actuator. The locking mechanism needed a good amount of fab work. You have a .1 car so youll need a different rear bumper from what was discussed earlier in this post. I can share pics of what I have to give you an idea of what I did with my crossmember modification to be able to bolt on the latch about 6 inches lower in the same OEM crossmember. I simply wasnt willing to spend 2k+ on a GT3 crossmember when the non GT ones are metal and was pretty easy to modify and make work. Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss.
The following users liked this post:
JuanK20 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 03:08 PM
DOG ON
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I found a company that sells a rep GT2RS deck lid setup that will allow you to purchase just the deck (since I want to do side winglets instead of the struts and upper spoiler).

Here's a link to the page for the deck. Apparently you can get it in Carbon Fiber, or Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP). I'm planning on having the whole thing painted anyway, so I'd be curious to hear the crowd's advice on which material to go with... or if I should even consider it... but since an OEM deck is $12k+, I figure aftermarket places like this are about my only option.

https://performancespeedshop.com/col...24786dfd&_ss=r

Have any of our members had any experience with these guys?
For reference, here's what I'm trying to do with my setup. Still need to find a source for the winglets. Debating on trying to 3D print them if I can't find something reasonable.
Name:  TWIGdM0.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  257.7 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by DOG ON:
edirtaynine (01-05-2021), PorscheC2S (04-19-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 05:02 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DOG ON
I found a company that sells a rep GT2RS deck lid setup that will allow you to purchase just the deck (since I want to do side winglets instead of the struts and upper spoiler).

Here's a link to the page for the deck. Apparently you can get it in Carbon Fiber, or Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP). I'm planning on having the whole thing painted anyway, so I'd be curious to hear the crowd's advice on which material to go with... or if I should even consider it... but since an OEM deck is $12k+, I figure aftermarket places like this are about my only option.

For reference, here's what I'm trying to do with my setup. Still need to find a source for the winglets. Debating on trying to 3D print them if I can't find something reasonable.
great find! looks like the shop is in NJ. im pretty sure the parts are still actually manufactured in china, but id still be curious about any feedback in dealing with this shop.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:45 PM
Rennlist Member

If you plan to paint the entire thing, fiberglass is ok but also keep in mind on how youll be supporting the deck lid. fiberglass is very heavy and the GT2/3 support hinges will break. Ask me how I know (have yet to figure this out outside of adding a traditional prod rod and drilling wholes/mounting it).

I ran into some issues with even mounting the decklid and fitment after first shops attempt is like 90-95%. I plan on getting it to another shop but havent found anyone local to me that I trust, yet. Also there was a vendor that made those exact winglets, but they discontinued them. Likely due to no one ever buying them.

Originally Posted by edirtaynine
great find! looks like the shop is in NJ. im pretty sure the parts are still actually manufactured in china, but id still be curious about any feedback in dealing with this shop.
You are right, they are all made in china and are all the same.
The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:05 PM
DOG ON
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

If you plan to paint the entire thing, fiberglass is ok but also keep in mind on how youll be supporting the deck lid. fiberglass is very heavy and the GT2/3 support hinges will break. Ask me how I know (have yet to figure this out outside of adding a traditional prod rod and drilling wholes/mounting it).

I ran into some issues with even mounting the decklid and fitment after first shops attempt is like 90-95%. I plan on getting it to another shop but havent found anyone local to me that I trust, yet. Also there was a vendor that made those exact winglets, but they discontinued them. Likely due to no one ever buying them.
So, would you advise me to go with the Carbon Fiber version over the FRP? (Yes, I plan on painting the whole thing either way.)

I've got a great indie shop that I have full confidence in. If they can't make it fit and work, I don't know that anyone could.

Does anyone have a better source for the side winglet blades other than Wicked Motorworks? Here's the link to theirs:
https://shop.wickedmotorworks.com/pr...runk-winglets/

I plan on binding them permanently to the deck lid, filling the seams, and then painting the whole thing so that it all looks like one single piece. If anyone has a source for the side winglets, or even the file/ability to 3D print them, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:52 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

I am very interested in this setup

i currently have a techart type 2 wing but I would prefer the wingless GT2RS setup.

@911 how did you manage the deactivation of the active spoiler mechanism, pull the fuse, what about fault message? Techart provide a black box to splice into the loom under the drivers seat. I’m on my 3rd box as they keep failing and need to find a more permanent solution as I have lost faith in Techart.

Also when do you think a kit will be available from the vendor? I would be interested in exposed carbon fiber but would be concerned about the quality and if it would hold up over time, UV exposure. Do you know what weave they use and is intended to be exposed or painted?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2021, 08:57 PM
Rennlist Member

So, would you advise me to go with the Carbon Fiber version over the FRP? (Yes, I plan on painting the whole thing either way.)

I've got a great indie shop that I have full confidence in. If they can't make it fit and work, I don't know that anyone could.

Does anyone have a better source for the side winglet blades other than Wicked Motorworks? Here's the link to theirs:
https://shop.wickedmotorworks.com/pr...runk-winglets/

I plan on binding them permanently to the deck lid, filling the seams, and then painting the whole thing so that it all looks like one single piece. If anyone has a source for the side winglets, or even the file/ability to 3D print them, it would be greatly appreciated.
If you can swing it, I would go with the full carbon option. You can then decide if you want to paint the entire thing or leave some exposed carbon. I tried to search the original place where I saw the winglets you are after but cant find it anymore. I do know they were discontinued when I looked a few months back, by 4-5 months at the time. So youre better off having a shop custom fab some up for you. Personally, I wasnt a fan of those and only came across them when I was looking for end caps. At the end of the day, I had a shop add some fiberglass to the ends of mine to fill it in so it flows better with the lines of the rear quarters.

If you get one, let me know how the original fitment is cause the china vendor I am working on has been slow to get the one I got tweaked. Originally, they wanted to offer something to the forum that fit 90%+ and with the help of a shop it could fit like OEM.

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
I am very interested in this setup

i currently have a techart type 2 wing but I would prefer the wingless GT2RS setup.

@911 how did you manage the deactivation of the active spoiler mechanism, pull the fuse, what about fault message? Techart provide a black box to splice into the loom under the drivers seat. I’m on my 3rd box as they keep failing and need to find a more permanent solution as I have lost faith in Techart.

Also when do you think a kit will be available from the vendor? I would be interested in exposed carbon fiber but would be concerned about the quality and if it would hold up over time, UV exposure. Do you know what weave they use and is intended to be exposed or painted?

Thanks
Active spoiler for me was coding + plug on the wing side (powers the fans/lights ect) needs to be swapped on only one pin. Pin 4 to 8. Coding only simply wont do it on the 991.2's. The black box scenario sounds like a headache. Are you not happy with your techkart wing? I think it looks great, and was my 2nd option if I couldnt do some sort of ducktail spoiler.

I dont have a time as of now. But I feel like most ebay brand offered units are all coming from one place. Mine I was able to get it to fit 80-85% to my liking myself. I then had a shop do the rest and they did an alright job. its now like 95% there. So I have been researching for a good place to take it to to re-do it. The weave they used is 2x2 but my unit was a fiberglass one with the scoops exposed. Any good shop can use proper clear coat on the exposed carbon so you dont need to worry about fading/UV issues.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:26 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts
Thumbs up

Active spoiler for me was coding + plug on the wing side (powers the fans/lights ect) needs to be swapped on only one pin. Pin 4 to 8. Coding only simply wont do it on the 991.2's. The black box scenario sounds like a headache. Are you not happy with your techkart wing? I think it looks great, and was my 2nd option if I couldnt do some sort of ducktail spoiler.

I dont have a time as of now. But I feel like most ebay brand offered units are all coming from one place. Mine I was able to get it to fit 80-85% to my liking myself. I then had a shop do the rest and they did an alright job. its now like 95% there. So I have been researching for a good place to take it to to re-do it. The weave they used is 2x2 but my unit was a fiberglass one with the scoops exposed. Any good shop can use proper clear coat on the exposed carbon so you dont need to worry about fading/UV issues.
The Techart kit is quite well thought out but it doesn’t fit like OEM. I managed to get the panel gaps where I was ok to leave it on the car but that’s was after probably a weekend of fit checking and filing a little material here and there. The kit is very light but the wing mounts are not substantial enough and I can see the wing vibrate slightly in the rear view mirror. Also I tend to doubt that they ever wind tunnel tested, initially I believed the blurb but now doubt it. Having to install the box under the seat, cut the carpet and repin some of the loom was almost a deal breaker. In the end it looks good, probably 90% happy.. if the gaps were better and the wing profile more modern (I think it’s too 997 ish). The failing black box to disable the spoiler is driving me nuts, they have sent me 3 units now as they only last a few months.

I would like to remove the box and find an alternative method. Can you detail out what is needed in terms of coding, also the pin 4 and pin 8 swap do you know the function of each pin.

Appreciate any guidance on how to get it done

Personally I prefer the GT2 RS duck tail setup

Quick Reply: GT3 or GT3RS/GT2RS spoiler on C2S