Sponsored by:

Softronic Tune- 991.2 review

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 08:34 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Softronic Tune- 991.2 review

Have been away from Rennlist for almost 8 yrs, a lot has changed with these cars LOL. You can now buy 100 hp upgrades for under 2K. Amazing! Picked up a 991.2 this summer and while so much faster than my previous 944S2 race car and my old 993, I was intrigued by the promise of "Cheap" power. After educating myself on the various offerings from the multitude of vendors, reading all the tuning threads and talking to people outside of Rennlist. I pulled the trigger with Scott @ Softronics.
Pretty simple process. He sends you Dimsport hand held unit, you download your tune, email it back to him and 24-48 hr later, you have a new tune, 30 mins to download new tune to your car and your off, off very very fast
The boost is not raised to some crazy level, it is 1psi above normal (depending on conditions). The power is now very linear. The torque is on instataly. What was a fast 4S is now a rocketship. The power is alway on 10, need to pass 3 cars on at two lane? easy, they wont know what blew past them. Seriously, this takes the 911 exp to a different level

Now here is the cool part. My wife sometimes drives the car so I asked Scott, would it be possible to tune the car so it is less aggressive when the car is "normal" mode but can unleash the tune in Sport or Sport +
I now have a little over 600 miles on the new tune and all I can say is wow. Back in the day, to get this kind of HP on a NA car would have cost a fortune. Now for just under 2K, we can add 100 hp in our garage without any tools
There are dozens of threads on tunes and tuners, I have not seen a lot of talk about Softronics, I wanted to add a post so if someone is looking to compare offerings, this post could serve as a data point. If someone needs a reference, they can reach out to me on PM with any questions (but Scott is far smarter than me!)

My car is a 2017 4S Cab w/PDK only other mod is a DSC controller (done at same time)

The tune is completely reversible, you download your stock tune and can swap the 2 back and forth in under an hour. I am not new to Porsche nor new to making cars go fast on a track. Talking to Scott I gained a lot of knowledge of what works with these cars and what is snakeoil. I dont write a lot of reviews but when I do it is because I am impressed with the product and service. I paid full price for this and never heard of Softronic before doing my research a month ago

If you are thinking of doing a tune, Softronic should be in the mix, catch Scott on the phone and you will see he knows his stuff

The following 12 users liked this post by Eric in Chicago:
catdog2 (07-27-2023), Charles Everson (09-01-2023), F355bob (10-28-2020), GT3FZS (10-30-2020), p3rs1st (03-01-2021), polobai (10-28-2020), SFZ GT3 (10-28-2020), Snowkone (04-28-2021), spyderbret (10-28-2020), Stromer (10-29-2020), thesaintusa (10-28-2020), Tier1Terrier (10-28-2020) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-28-2020, 12:48 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Nice-would love to see some dyno, draggy or 1/4 mile numbers for the differences on the Softronic Tune vs the stock performance. Sounds like a good product and seems to be pretty much tailored to each individual car (pro-tune-esq)? -but I wish there were more performance results on it.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:44 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by polobai
Nice-would love to see some dyno, draggy or 1/4 mile numbers for the differences on the Softronic Tune vs the stock performance. Sounds like a good product and seems to be pretty much tailored to each individual car (pro-tune-esq)? -but I wish there were more performance results on it.
Dynos can make any tune or bolt on part a hero lol. Having raced in a series (NASA) where we would have to hit the dyno after a race to insure power to weight ratio was legal, I can tell you a dyno is a guess at best. I have a finely tuned "butt dyno" from 100's of race hours and the difference from stock with my tune is very noticable. Unless you are measuring HP at the crank, a rolling dyno is just a fluid data point. 1/4 ,mile times are a different story assuming all things are equal (day, time, weather tire pressure ect). I will never be a 1/4 mile guy lol

Over the years I have bolted a lot of different parts on my cars looking for .10th of a second, some with success some a waste of money. I am blown away how cheap power is on these turbo cars!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Eric in Chicago:
GT3FZS (10-30-2020), SFZ GT3 (10-28-2020), tourenwagen (10-30-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 04:38 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Dynos can make any tune or bolt on part a hero lol. Having raced in a series (NASA) where we would have to hit the dyno after a race to insure power to weight ratio was legal, I can tell you a dyno is a guess at best. I have a finely tuned "butt dyno" from 100's of race hours and the difference from stock with my tune is very noticable. Unless you are measuring HP at the crank, a rolling dyno is just a fluid data point. 1/4 ,mile times are a different story assuming all things are equal (day, time, weather tire pressure ect). I will never be a 1/4 mile guy lol

Over the years I have bolted a lot of different parts on my cars looking for .10th of a second, some with success some a waste of money. I am blown away how cheap power is on these turbo cars!!
How can you confidently say you gained 100 HP after this reply?
Old 10-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 181 Likes on 95 Posts

Hello Eric,
Im glad you are enjoying the tune and its inline with all the countless Turbos we've done for years starting with the 993TT. Softronic has been tuning Porsche cars for many years and much longer than most others. We also offer correct engine conversion files for the Porsche line and other features that others cant duplicate. You get individual files for each car in which is our standard tuning feature.

Best,
Scott
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

The following 3 users liked this post by Softronic:
GT3FZS (10-30-2020), spyderbret (10-29-2020), Stromer (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 04:03 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
How can you confidently say you gained 100 HP after this reply?
Exactly, as a 100 hp increase would be enormous with a 1 psi increase in boost.

To go from the 420 hp of the S to the 450 of the GTS, Porsche increased the boost by 2.1 psi. At that rate, a 100 hp bump would require a 7 psi boost increase.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:36 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991

To go from the 420 hp of the S to the 450 of the GTS, Porsche increased the boost by 2.1 psi. At that rate, a 100 hp bump would require a 7 psi boost increase.
Yup. I mean we all know the tune is great and likely getting 100+ HP but is it really so hard to strap a stock car on the dyno. Tune it. Re-dyno and post results.. Or some meaningful data so we can compare and make an educated decision.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:43 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 181 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991

Well it doesn't take 7psi in boost pressure to get a 100BHP . The files are raised to 18 and 20 PSI for the S and GTS ... I have re-tuned many cars from other companies running high boost pressures and getting more BHP with less . Generally most quote tuners that don't know what they are doing go straight for the pressures and crank them up give their lack of Porsche tuning knowledge or of the cars in general. Softronic over the years has shown this constantly with advertised gains and records and longer than most all off of them that have been tuning Porsche turbo cars or just Porsche in general in the last few years....
The OP also has his increases set for his Sport mode and not normal mode. Did you know you can run the same boost in both modes yet get the gains in one or the other? Or run a higher boost with gains inn either mode's and keep the other stock? HMMMM

Best,
Scott
Old 10-29-2020, 09:51 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
Well it doesn't take 7psi in boost pressure to get a 100BHP . The files are raised to 18 and 20 PSI for the S and GTS ... I have re-tuned many cars from other companies running high boost pressures and getting more BHP with less . Generally most quote tuners that don't know what they are doing go straight for the pressures and crank them up give their lack of Porsche tuning knowledge or of the cars in general. Softronic over the years has shown this constantly with advertised gains and records and longer than most all off of them that have been tuning Porsche turbo cars or just Porsche in general in the last few years....
The OP also has his increases set for his Sport mode and not normal mode. Did you know you can run the same boost in both modes yet get the gains in one or the other? Or run a higher boost with gains inn either mode's and keep the other stock? HMMMM

Best,
Scott
chk your PM
Old 10-30-2020, 12:20 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic

Best,
Scott
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but Porsche seems to rely on increasing boost pressure to get higher power outputs.

The 991.2 base Carrera makes 380 hp with 27.8 psi of manifold pressure (14.7 + 13.1). That's 13.3 hp/psi
The Carrera S makes 420 hp with 30.7 psi of MAP. That's 13.7 hp/psi
The GTS makes 450 hp with 32.8 psi of MAP for 13.7 hp/psi
Seems pretty linear and consistent, given that all three engines have the same displacement and peak power at the same rpm.

What are you doing that's so different? And how are you increasing the base Carrera engine's mass flow enough to generate another 100 hp with the small turbos?

Old 03-01-2021, 04:46 PM
p3rs1st
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Have been away from Rennlist for almost 8 yrs, a lot has changed with these cars LOL. You can now buy 100 hp upgrades for under 2K. Amazing! Picked up a 991.2 this summer and while so much faster than my previous 944S2 race car and my old 993, I was intrigued by the promise of "Cheap" power. After educating myself on the various offerings from the multitude of vendors, reading all the tuning threads and talking to people outside of Rennlist. I pulled the trigger with Scott @ Softronics.
Pretty simple process. He sends you Dimsport hand held unit, you download your tune, email it back to him and 24-48 hr later, you have a new tune, 30 mins to download new tune to your car and your off, off very very fast
The boost is not raised to some crazy level, it is 1psi above normal (depending on conditions). The power is now very linear. The torque is on instataly. What was a fast 4S is now a rocketship. The power is alway on 10, need to pass 3 cars on at two lane? easy, they wont know what blew past them. Seriously, this takes the 911 exp to a different level

Now here is the cool part. My wife sometimes drives the car so I asked Scott, would it be possible to tune the car so it is less aggressive when the car is "normal" mode but can unleash the tune in Sport or Sport +
I now have a little over 600 miles on the new tune and all I can say is wow. Back in the day, to get this kind of HP on a NA car would have cost a fortune. Now for just under 2K, we can add 100 hp in our garage without any tools
There are dozens of threads on tunes and tuners, I have not seen a lot of talk about Softronics, I wanted to add a post so if someone is looking to compare offerings, this post could serve as a data point. If someone needs a reference, they can reach out to me on PM with any questions (but Scott is far smarter than me!)

My car is a 2017 4S Cab w/PDK only other mod is a DSC controller (done at same time)

The tune is completely reversible, you download your stock tune and can swap the 2 back and forth in under an hour. I am not new to Porsche nor new to making cars go fast on a track. Talking to Scott I gained a lot of knowledge of what works with these cars and what is snakeoil. I dont write a lot of reviews but when I do it is because I am impressed with the product and service. I paid full price for this and never heard of Softronic before doing my research a month ago

If you are thinking of doing a tune, Softronic should be in the mix, catch Scott on the phone and you will see he knows his stuff
thanks for this review. I'm about to be getting my first 911 ever (911.2 C2S) and I'm already reading about tunes. I read the massive tune thread that exists in these forums and there's a ton of good info. I was also impressed with Scott just merely reading his responses. Once I have my car and get familiar with it a bit I'm definitely going to consider Softronics.
OG- what is the DSC tune? and is it mutually exclusive to the tune from softronics? I'm hoping I can just get the tune as you did without any other mods. Love the idea too about civil in normal mode and aggressive in sport/s+

Dan
The following users liked this post:
smell911 (07-26-2023)
Old 03-01-2021, 06:03 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Dan, The DSC module is separate from the tune, it is a suspension tuning device/program. www.dscsport.com About 2K miles on the car since I put the tune on, added a full set of Soul exhaust (headers, cats and x pipe). Tune is very strong. I pulled the tune out for a dealership visit, no trace of softronic tune left of ECU, took about 7 mins to remove and about the same time to re install. I have a isoft code scanner and no codes to clear before or after tune swap My neighbor who has a 17 991.2 GTS Cab and a tune from another outfit (Sharkworks exhaust w/PSE)test drove my car for over 50 spirited miles and begrudging admitted that my car is noticeably faster than his. I hope people read these threads and form their own opinions based on the multiple data points Rennlist users provide
Old 03-01-2021, 07:06 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by p3rs1st
thanks for this review. I'm about to be getting my first 911 ever (911.2 C2S) and I'm already reading about tunes. I read the massive tune thread that exists in these forums and there's a ton of good info. I was also impressed with Scott just merely reading his responses. Once I have my car and get familiar with it a bit I'm definitely going to consider Softronics.
OG- what is the DSC tune? and is it mutually exclusive to the tune from softronics? I'm hoping I can just get the tune as you did without any other mods. Love the idea too about civil in normal mode and aggressive in sport/s+

Dan
The DSC module is pretty remarkable. Also, if you have a manual, Numeric shifter and cables make it like a different (better) car. I also have Soul sport cats and exhaust which are also very nice.
I haven’t selected a tune yet, but am considering Softronic, APR and FVD. No rush with 2 years left on warranty. My base is already faster than I can drive. But, you know, tinkering.
GT3FZS (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 07:20 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does this magic work on 991.1 C2S?
Old 03-01-2021, 07:45 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by rubenhak
Does this magic work on 991.1 C2S?
No. 991.2 Turbo owners lost the beautiful sound from 991.1 NA engines but we have easy access to power. Kinda fair trade. =D
GT3FZS (03-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Softronic Tune- 991.2 review