Sponsored by:

Softronic Tune- 991.2 review

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 11:29 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Dan, The DSC module is separate from the tune, it is a suspension tuning device/program. www.dscsport.com About 2K miles on the car since I put the tune on, added a full set of Soul exhaust (headers, cats and x pipe). Tune is very strong. I pulled the tune out for a dealership visit, no trace of softronic tune left of ECU, took about 7 mins to remove and about the same time to re install. I have a isoft code scanner and no codes to clear before or after tune swap My neighbor who has a 17 991.2 GTS Cab and a tune from another outfit (Sharkworks exhaust w/PSE)test drove my car for over 50 spirited miles and begrudging admitted that my car is noticeably faster than his. I hope people read these threads and form their own opinions based on the multiple data points Rennlist users provide
To be fair, headers and cats add a lot of response and a good chunk of power. Softronic does claim the highest percentage gain in power and torque, followed by APR. COBB, FVD, and GIAC are all more mild based on their provided information. I still wish Softronic would show their torque and power curves. There is one person who has trapped 127mph running a low-11 in his S with Softronic tune, so that's legit.
The following 2 users liked this post by spdracerut:
diggiddi (03-14-2021), The Ox (03-17-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:42 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 181 Likes on 95 Posts

Headers and cats or no cats do not change the set boost pressures and allow the turbos to spool better yet do not increase the peak power. They can allow the boost to come in a bit sooner from the spooling yet the TQ is controlled by the TP and how Porsche has regulated the E-throttle cars since the 1999 C4 . After all this how the PSM controls the drive TQ.

Now with the dyno plots Softronic could make up nice looking ones also like the other companies yet you do know they are not actual BHP dyno graphs.... or aka crank ,engine HP . Now there is nothing wrong with that for a good visual. They are the same as what is in your owner's manual simulated for display or created in a spreadsheet to show a basic plotting of the HP/TQ. Some have posted they are this and others did yet pulled the disclaimers that they are generated and simply show as dyno's. Regardless of the shown plots the engines of the same type and turbos will all produce a similar actual graph made for display or real..

I think you can find many years of our tuning and setting records in Porsche as a couple competitors have only flashed them for a few years and missed several generations of turbos and Porsche cars. We have shown many years of legit claims so more than the one mentioned above ......... our customers have always shown this true and correct in racing and the street, after all we do check the RACE binary for for a reason.

These were just a few things I wanted to mention to clarify on some postings.

Best,
Scott
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Last edited by Softronic; 03-02-2021 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Added text
The following 5 users liked this post by Softronic:
catdog2 (07-27-2023), ehy911 (06-10-2024), GT3FZS (03-04-2021), Omega4 (03-02-2021), The Ox (03-17-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 05:03 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I will say that on my 996.2 the softronic made a good real world difference in how the car responds and drives. I have not put a tune on my 991.2 but maybe one day we will see. I do know from previous cars that tunes on a turbo car can make a world of difference. the
Old 03-03-2021, 12:50 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Softronic
Headers and cats or no cats do not change the set boost pressures and allow the turbos to spool better yet do not increase the peak power. They can allow the boost to come in a bit sooner from the spooling yet the TQ is controlled by the TP and how Porsche has regulated the E-throttle cars since the 1999 C4 . After all this how the PSM controls the drive TQ.

Now with the dyno plots Softronic could make up nice looking ones also like the other companies yet you do know they are not actual BHP dyno graphs.... or aka crank ,engine HP . Now there is nothing wrong with that for a good visual. They are the same as what is in your owner's manual simulated for display or created in a spreadsheet to show a basic plotting of the HP/TQ. Some have posted they are this and others did yet pulled the disclaimers that they are generated and simply show as dyno's. Regardless of the shown plots the engines of the same type and turbos will all produce a similar actual graph made for display or real..

I think you can find many years of our tuning and setting records in Porsche as a couple competitors have only flashed them for a few years and missed several generations of turbos and Porsche cars. We have shown many years of legit claims so more than the one mentioned above ......... our customers have always shown this true and correct in racing and the street, after all we do check the RACE binary for for a reason.

These were just a few things I wanted to mention to clarify on some postings.

Best,
Scott
Headers, cats, intakes, exhausts, air filters, they all change the volumetric efficiency of the package. I am very curious how the Porsche ECU does its engine modeling. I stopped messing around with tuning back in the mid-2000s when things were much more simple and there weren't a dozen timing maps just for cold start. As you mention, the Porsche ECU is targeting a load/torque target. The question is how is the load/torque calculated? Is it assuming a stock volumetric efficiency in the calcs? Or basing off of fuel mass flow rate, a calculated air mass flow rate backed out from the a/f ratio, and timing? No need to answer unless you have the time, just more my curiosity.

Engine torque/hp curves are very important in my opinion. They show how the car feels along with area under the curve. As is well-known, COBB in their first version of their OTS map went for a monster mid-range which resulted in a flatter power curve (instead of increasing) at the top end. Somewhat akin to a turbo diesel torque curve where it dies off on the top-end and that type of curve gives a different sensation. Sure, all the plots generated by anyone is going to be on a chassis dyno because few people outside of OEMs have an engine dyno. And people will estimate a crank tq/hp value. Whatever, as long as it shows before/after in my opinion. As an example of why curves matter, look at the below. If one were to strictly look at peak torque and power numbers, it doesn't show the whole picture. One would see that the new TITAN XD has a bit more torque and a lot more power. So, as is often the case with naturally aspirated engines, there's a trade-off of low-end performance for high-end performance. But the newer Titian beats the old one in low-end torque too which would translate into better everyday drivability in addition to making way more power. Just posting peak numbers doesn't give that picture. And as you know, with turbo cars, you can shape the torque/power curves however you want by manipulating the boost curve. So, that's why I like to see the curves.

The following users liked this post:
p3rs1st (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:17 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
I will say that on my 996.2 the softronic made a good real world difference in how the car responds and drives. I have not put a tune on my 991.2 but maybe one day we will see. I do know from previous cars that tunes on a turbo car can make a world of difference. the
My 991.2 C2 with a tune is WAY SUPERIOR to stock. The way it should have left the factory. It is as fast as my 996TT when it was stock.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:30 AM
p3rs1st
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
My 991.2 C2 with a tune is WAY SUPERIOR to stock. The way it should have left the factory. It is as fast as my 996TT when it was stock.
sorry if I missed it but was this the softronic?
Old 03-03-2021, 12:51 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by p3rs1st
Some reference dynos for GIAC and I think the older COBB OTS tune:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1144...b-c2s-x51.html

Based on what Cobb has published for their latest tune, it does not have the same gains
https://www.cobbtuning.com/porsche-9...ssport-tuning/

FVD ramps in their torque and peaks about 500rpm later and it's a more mild tune overall compared to APR. Comparing the COBB torque curve to the FVD, you can see how COBB shows peak torque down around 2700rpm and FVD at 3500rpm, so they should feel different. Understand there's the caveat of different dynos, when the runs were started,etc :
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD9912000...hp-428-tq.html

As a rough overview on power, GIAC and FVD are more mild. COBB is a step up. APR and Softronic on the upper end. There is one real world data point of the guy with a stock S with Softronic who ran I think 11.25@127. So that's definitely showing power. Fsmich had both a Cobb Pro-tune and now APR and trapped 130mph with both tunes with GTS turbos and bolt-on mods. Cobb and GIAC have been around the longest, so easiest to find real world data on their 991.2 tunes. Quite a few guys running APR. I don't recall seeing an independent dyno. APR has plenty of stuff out there on their development car and drag strip passes.

The following users liked this post:
polobai (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hello,
No it wasn't Softronic. It should be faster than a stock 996TT or X50 as they are a bit heavier and came with 420BHP for the K16 base and 450BHP with the K24 X50 in a manual or tip. The base 991.2 runs 485BHP tuned from us on 93oct. and would have a Man trans or PDK.

Best,
Scott
The following 3 users liked this post by Softronic:
GT3FZS (03-04-2021), p3rs1st (03-03-2021), The Ox (03-17-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 03:19 PM
p3rs1st
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello,
No it wasn't Softronic. It should be faster than a stock 996TT or X50 as they are a bit heavier and came with 420BHP for the K16 base and 450BHP with the K24 X50 in a manual or tip. The base 991.2 runs 485BHP tuned from us on 93oct. and would have a Man trans or PDK.

Best,
Scott
thanks Scott. I'm receiving my new to me 991.2 C2S soon and as of right now I'm planning to give you a call in a few weeks to see about getting the tune. PDK, sport chrono, PSE, stock stuff. No plans for other mods at this time except the tune.

Dan
Old 03-03-2021, 03:32 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Hello,

Best,
Scott
Hi Scott. I plan to call in a few weeks once the snow melts here. Can you share where peak HP and RPM occur in the 991.2 T/Base softronic tune for 93 octane?

Also do you bump up the rev limiter a bit for the 991.2 cars or is it still stock? Same question for the standing rev limiter. Is it still 4K RPM?

Old 03-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

thanks Scott. I'm receiving my new to me 991.2 C2S soon and as of right now I'm planning to give you a call in a few weeks to see about getting the tune. PDK, sport chrono, PSE, stock stuff. No plans for other mods at this time except the tune.

Dan
Hello Dan,
Welcome to Rennlist and yes give me a call as I find it much easier to talk on the phone as there is always another question
You can always call earlier if you like .

Best,
Scott

Old 03-03-2021, 05:52 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Hi Scott. I plan to call in a few weeks once the snow melts here. Can you share where peak HP and RPM occur in the 991.2 T/Base softronic tune for 93 octane?

Also do you bump up the rev limiter a bit for the 991.2 cars or is it still stock? Same question for the standing rev limiter. Is it still 4K RPM?
Hello,
Typically the 3.0 will generate the power early with our tune at 2800RPM .

We can Bump the RPM or not or adjust by gearing more so for Man trans as the PDK gets upset if its to much higher than what the PDK is set for. Remove VMAX. Remove AutoStart. Change the standing rev if desired and also offer other items like Sport only boost or all the time as normal and just about anything else for the race cars .

Generally the same file is made for 91 and 93 in that it works well in the DFI Porsche cars since 2009. I said generally as I just made a file for a guy in Honduras and with his fuel I made it more so for 91 though as some areas 91 is really 89. Now the 91, 93 files will generate more or less HP depending on which of the two fuel grades are used and has been a standard as mentioned since 2009. Now we do make the race files in a variable for 93-100 or just 100.

The street cars we try to conform to the best tune for the car while keeping all the built safety precautions as you cant add LFB to a street car for safety reasons yet for a Race car its ok when requested.

This as an example in the 996TT K16 cars I made them for 93 and boost to 1.3 bar preset so the same car stock with the muffler would run about 1.1 bar and then if the customer replace the exhaust and flowed better they would see 1.3 bar. This way we do not require the customers to be confined to stages within reason. Now if you added 82lb injectors and Alpha 28's or 30/76's and man boost control or kept the stock controller that would then be a custom tune. We did all the Switzer cars as an example in which had several different packages up to 1200BHP.

Best,
Scott
The following 2 users liked this post by Softronic:
GT3FZS (03-04-2021), Tier1Terrier (05-20-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:23 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Hello,
Typically the 3.0 will generate the power early with our tune at 2800RPM .

We can Bump the RPM or not or adjust by gearing more so for Man trans as the PDK gets upset if its to much higher than what the PDK is set for. Remove VMAX. Remove AutoStart. Change the standing rev if desired and also offer other items like Sport only boost or all the time as normal and just about anything else for the race cars .

Generally the same file is made for 91 and 93 in that it works well in the DFI Porsche cars since 2009. I said generally as I just made a file for a guy in Honduras and with his fuel I made it more so for 91 though as some areas 91 is really 89. Now the 91, 93 files will generate more or less HP depending on which of the two fuel grades are used and has been a standard as mentioned since 2009. Now we do make the race files in a variable for 93-100 or just 100.

The street cars we try to conform to the best tune for the car while keeping all the built safety precautions as you cant add LFB to a street car for safety reasons yet for a Race car its ok when requested.

This as an example in the 996TT K16 cars I made them for 93 and boost to 1.3 bar preset so the same car stock with the muffler would run about 1.1 bar and then if the customer replace the exhaust and flowed better they would see 1.3 bar. This way we do not require the customers to be confined to stages within reason. Now if you added 82lb injectors and Alpha 28's or 30/76's and man boost control or kept the stock controller that would then be a custom tune. We did all the Switzer cars as an example in which had several different packages up to 1200BHP.

Best,
Scott
Thanks Scott. I appreciate the tech details here.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:16 AM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott - just dong research and as the post above states - I'm looking for a Softronic tune that is only active when the 'sport' button is pushed on the console. Is this possible with a Softronic tune?
Old 03-31-2023, 11:47 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ranlor79
Scott - just dong research and as the post above states - I'm looking for a Softronic tune that is only active when the 'sport' button is pushed on the console. Is this possible with a Softronic tune?
Hello ,
Yes it is yet the car comes from the factory with the same power in all modes. Im thinking of dropping some options as everyone it seems that gets an option wants it back to normal a week later

Best,
Scott

Quick Reply: Softronic Tune- 991.2 review