Softronic Tune- 991.2 review

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 01:51 PM
BlitzIS
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello,
No it wasn't Softronic. It should be faster than a stock 996TT or X50 as they are a bit heavier and came with 420BHP for the K16 base and 450BHP with the K24 X50 in a manual or tip. The base 991.2 runs 485BHP tuned from us on 93oct. and would have a Man trans or PDK.

Best,
Scott
Hey Scott, just wanted to know since the base you’re able to achieve 485bhp on 93, what kind of bhp would you get with a S on 93? You’ve done my tune and it’s been running strong almost 2 years now.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:29 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzIS
Hey Scott, just wanted to know since the base you’re able to achieve 485bhp on 93, what kind of bhp would you get with a S on 93? You’ve done my tune and it’s been running strong almost 2 years now.
Hello ,
Great to get your feedback and its 520 yet all the numbers are listed on the website.

Best,
Scot
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 03-31-2023, 02:56 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
As a rough overview on power, GIAC and FVD are more mild. COBB is a step up. APR and Softronic on the upper end. There is one real world data point of the guy with a stock S with Softronic who ran I think 11.25@127. So that's definitely showing power. Fsmich had both a Cobb Pro-tune and now APR and trapped 130mph with both tunes with GTS turbos and bolt-on mods. Cobb and GIAC have been around the longest, so easiest to find real world data on their 991.2 tunes. Quite a few guys running APR. I don't recall seeing an independent dyno. APR has plenty of stuff out there on their development car and drag strip passes.
Raced a Softronic 991.2 with my FVD-93 octane C2 and blew it away no problem in multiple scenarios. (both PDK) Compared to others I find GIAC and FVD not at all "mild" compared to Softronic. (My car has tune only)
No experience vs. APR 991.2 - yet.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:16 PM
Grmcrckr
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2017 991.2 4S with Powerkit (GTS) engine with Softronics tune

I have a Dragy GPS and stock config ran a 3.87 0-60 and I believe a best 3.77 with traction control deactivated. It’s basically a 4GTS so the traction control would kinda limit the wheel spin off the line and I would notice a slight shudder with TC on.
I installed the tune and ran a best time of 3.17 and 2.97w 1 ft rollout 0-60.
I will now add Vortex headers and a cat delete next.
I love the tune.
Instant gratification.

The following users liked this post:
Laszlo_Laz (06-26-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 03:33 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Raced a Softronic 991.2 with my FVD-93 octane C2 and blew it away no problem in multiple scenarios. (both PDK) Compared to others I find GIAC and FVD not at all "mild" compared to Softronic. (My car has tune only)
No experience vs. APR 991.2 - yet.
Wow.... The car must have been running with traction control on or had a boost leak as I assume both cars were C2 base also. As an example a tuned 991.2TTS will run a 10.6 with a tune and traction control on or a 9.9-10.1 with it off.

Best,
Scott
Old 03-31-2023, 03:47 PM
BlitzIS
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow.... The car must have been running with traction control on or had a boost leak as I assume both cars were C2 base also. As an example a tuned 991.2TTS will run a 10.6 with a tune and traction control on or a 9.9-10.1 with it off.

Best,
Scott
what kind of 1/4 mile time would you expect on a carerra s? I’ve never ran mine to know but always wondered what it would be capable of.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:22 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlitzIS
what kind of 1/4 mile time would you expect on a carerra s? I’ve never ran mine to know but always wondered what it would be capable of.
Typically 10.6_10.8 yet there are many things when people are getting there times.... Also some mods would make these times better while others make them worse as not all bolt ons work......... Tires, Tire pressures , Draggy corrections, slope, Hopefully traction control off and so on can affect the times.

Best,
Scott

Last edited by Softronic; 03-31-2023 at 04:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Softronic:
2hot (02-23-2024), BlitzIS (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 04:45 PM
awittig
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

What I've learned from driving a tuned 991.2 C2S 7MT with a Dragy - I can't launch the car for $hit.

Ha!
timothymoffat (06-28-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 05:53 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by ranlor79
Scott - just dong research and as the post above states - I'm looking for a Softronic tune that is only active when the 'sport' button is pushed on the console. Is this possible with a Softronic tune?
I remember asking Scott this same question where purchasing my tune for my 991.2 C2S and he talked me out of it. I'm so glad he did. To be honest, it would make no sense to only have the power available in Sport mode. For me, i thought it would be good as a 'valet' or 'wife' thing but really you don't feel anything until you lay on the pedal.

One more thing for anyone who is here on this thread and considering this tune. I've now had it for about a year and a half and cannot imagine the car without it. The beauty of this tune is that it doesn't make the car feel or seem different other than it's just ***** to the wall quicker on acceleration WHEN YOU WANT IT TO BE. This is the everyday man's tune for the everyday driver. It gives you a boost that doesn't make your call feel that you're pushing it too hard at all - as if it came from the factory that way. I can't say that this is better or worse than any other comparable tune. What I can say is that I did my research extensively before buying this tune. I talked to EACH of the companies directly. I came to the conclusion that Softronic offered the best blend of performance, ease of install, safety/reliability, and very importantly CUSTOMER SERVICE. Scott from Softronic has been tuning Porsches for 30 years. He writes the tune himself. He customizes it to your vehicle. He will talk to you on the phone. He will answer ALL your questions and walk you through it all. There are not that many companies out there that still offer that kind of service along with a product quality to match.

Here's my write up from when I first installed it.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1279...-chrono-2.html
The following 5 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
911hammer (04-02-2023), BlitzIS (04-01-2023), IRunalot (04-01-2023), Laszlo_Laz (06-26-2023), polobai (04-01-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 05:01 PM
Bonovo09
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello ,
Great to get your feedback and its 520 yet all the numbers are listed on the website.

Best,
Scot
Hi Scott, love your enthusiasm! Proud new owner of a 2017 Targa 4S w/pdk and no PSE. I've been doing some research and have tentatively decided on the following mods and wondering how you think they will integrate with the Softronic tune. I intend to have the work done at AVI Boston (Jon G).

*Soul Cats (200 cel) and Valve Controller wired to Homelink button (keep stock exhaust). Option to add headers later.
*Softronic tune (would like to discuss options)
*GTS turbos -- I'm thinking about this -- my assumption is that it would add some more boost and spool quicker -- not sure if it is worth it
*BMC High flow air filter & Diverter Valve

The goal is throttle response at lower revs and added linear power/Tq to offset the weight of the Targa 4. I'm coming out of a Ferrari FF which had 650 hp & 508 tq over 4200 lbs. My estimate (more concerned about butt dyno than splitting hairs on peak power #'s) is that these mods might bring 991.2 up to about 540 hp and 530 tq over 3600 lbs. So hp/lbs would be .15 -- about the same as FF. The tq/lbs would be slightly higher than the FF. The Soul CATS might add some sound effects as well.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:07 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
To be fair, headers and cats add a lot of response and a good chunk of power. Softronic does claim the highest percentage gain in power and torque, followed by APR. COBB, FVD, and GIAC are all more mild based on their provided information. I still wish Softronic would show their torque and power curves. There is one person who has trapped 127mph running a low-11 in his S with Softronic tune, so that's legit.
That was me. 2017 C2S
11.22 at 123.8 mph. 1.80 60 foot
Tune only. My best pass.

Last edited by justbob; 06-25-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Bonovo09 (06-25-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 03:01 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonovo09
The goal is throttle response at lower revs and added linear power/Tq to offset the weight of the Targa 4. I'm coming out of a Ferrari FF which had 650 hp & 508 tq over 4200 lbs. My estimate (more concerned about butt dyno than splitting hairs on peak power #'s) is that these mods might bring 991.2 up to about 540 hp and 530 tq over 3600 lbs. So hp/lbs would be .15 -- about the same as FF. The tq/lbs would be slightly higher than the FF. The Soul CATS might add some sound effects as well.
If your goal is the best throttle response, then you will need to free up the exhaust and intake as much as possible and use the smallest turbocharger that will meet your power goal. A bigger turbo will always have more lag and slower transient response than a smaller turbo of similar design. On the exhaust side, most of our customers like the combination of our equal length headers and sport cats. Both improve response and power. The sport cats increase the exhaust volume the most. The equal length headers change the sound with the equal exhaust pulses and have a small effect on the exhaust volume. Our customers have shown that a 991.2 with headers, sport cats, GTS turbos, and a tune can spool similar to the base Carrera turbo with stock parts. The headers and sport cats make up for the lag introduced by the larger GTS turbos. Intercoolers are another typical modification for those looking to maximize power. If you are going with a customized tune, we'd recommend doing all the part modifications up front to avoid having to adjust the tune later with additional modifications.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:25 AM
Bonovo09
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
If your goal is the best throttle response, then you will need to free up the exhaust and intake as much as possible and use the smallest turbocharger that will meet your power goal. A bigger turbo will always have more lag and slower transient response than a smaller turbo of similar design.
Thank you! Given that, does it make sense in your view to keep the stock turbos and invest in headers?
Old 06-26-2023, 10:38 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Scott, love your enthusiasm! Proud new owner of a 2017 Targa 4S w/pdk and no PSE. I've been doing some research and have tentatively decided on the following mods and wondering how you think they will integrate with the Softronic tune. I intend to have the work done at AVI Boston (Jon G).

*Soul Cats (200 cel) and Valve Controller wired to Homelink button (keep stock exhaust). Option to add headers later.
*Softronic tune (would like to discuss options)
*GTS turbos -- I'm thinking about this -- my assumption is that it would add some more boost and spool quicker -- not sure if it is worth it
*BMC High flow air filter & Diverter Valve

Hello,
I would suggest you give me a call at 203-723-8928 M-F 9-5EST as it would be easier to go over your needs and cost for what gains you would get.

Best,
Scott
The following 2 users liked this post by Softronic:
Oileater (07-12-2023), thesaintusa (06-26-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 02:24 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Thank you! Given that, does it make sense in your view to keep the stock turbos and invest in headers?
Only if maximum response is your primary goal which would benefit a street biased setup. You could get GTS turbos and headers which would shift the powerband a few hundred rpm to the right and be more biased to higher rpm use. Our recommendation is to have all the modifications you want installed before tuning. Therefore, a tuner such as Scott can optimize your tune based on the parts you have installed and the fuel you have available.

Last edited by VektorPerformance; 06-27-2023 at 02:28 AM.
Cur (06-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Softronic Tune- 991.2 review