Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

U guys are whipping a dead horse...IMHO
Old 11-01-2020, 05:55 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
1) These cars have over 7 gallons of coolant in them. Simple match, converted to metric.

2) Again, 200-400 mls of distilled water is not going to change the freeze point and mix ratio.

3) Our caps are super easy to remove, and re-thread. Especially when compared to my prior 986/996 and 987/997 cars.....those were a bitch by comparison.
I thought your "mls" reference meant "miles." I know now, it's milliliters.

Even so, where do you find it written that the car has 7 gallons or over in it? I don't see it recorded in the Porsche manual nor can I find it referenced by Porsche on line.
Given the number of complaints about leaking coolant, I think it would be helpful to record the % loss of fluid over a given number of miles. I can't do that without an "official" denominator.

Also, my coolant tank cap has some kind of strong detent at it's beginning point (or ending point) such that it requires significant force to push past the detent either on opening or locking the cap. With a noticeable snapping sound upon closing.
I'm going to ask the dealer about that.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:44 AM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Seems like everything is ok now. Niello told me they just didnt add enough coolant. Seems like a deviation from the expected standard of care, but perhaps I am expecting too much. Since they are the only dealer in the Sacramento area the dont have to be good to have business. I appreciate all of your comments and feedback, thank you all.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:32 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dj997
Seems like everything is ok now. Niello told me they just didn't add enough coolant. Seems like a deviation from the expected standard of care, but perhaps I am expecting too much. Since they are the only dealer in the Sacramento area the dont have to be good to have business. I appreciate all of your comments and feedback, thank you all.
Did they change your vacuum actuated control valves as well? Apparently the new procedure when changing water pumps for the 991.2 is to also change all affected vacuum hoses and valves. On one of the overheating thread, there was a guy who changed the water pump on his own and you could see the vacuum nipple on the water pump itself. Not sure if there is a check valve or diaphragm there that has worn out or malfunctioned and allowing coolant to go through and into the central vacuum system that actuates other valves like the coolant shutoff, pdk cooling, etc. Also, did your heater stop working as well?

Quick Reply: Overheating