Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any regrets going to a 991.2 from a 991.1??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020 | 12:00 AM
medtech_expat
Instructor

‘13 991.1 S to 19 991.2 GTS, both 7MT. I’ve found the .2 to be noticeably superior in nearly every way - particularly low-end torque, steering feel, shifting feel and creature comforts. The only areas for improvement were the exhaust note and minor turbo lag when flooring the accelerator - both of these issues have been solved with an aftermarket exhaust, equal-length headers and sport cats.

I couldn’t imagine ever going back to a .1
Old 08-20-2020 | 09:15 PM
97supratt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
‘13 991.1 S to 19 991.2 GTS, both 7MT. I’ve found the .2 to be noticeably superior in nearly every way - particularly low-end torque, steering feel, shifting feel and creature comforts. The only areas for improvement were the exhaust note and minor turbo lag when flooring the accelerator - both of these issues have been solved with an aftermarket exhaust, equal-length headers and sport cats.

I couldn’t imagine ever going back to a .1
Sport headers and tune remedy the low end torque with .1’s, it was a huge issue I had with the .1’s.
Old 08-21-2020 | 09:40 AM
enve46
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Sport headers and tune remedy the low end torque with .1’s, it was a huge issue I had with the .1’s.
Not to pull this thread off track, but which header/tune combo did you go with?
Old 08-21-2020 | 09:54 AM
97supratt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enve46
Not to pull this thread off track, but which header/tune combo did you go with?
Kline headers, Cobb tune, lots of torque.
The following users liked this post:
enve46 (08-22-2020)
Old 08-21-2020 | 11:06 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Went from .2 Targa 4S (PDK, AWS, PDCC) to GT4 (PCCB) to .1 50th Anniversary (PDK, PDCC, PCCB). All mine have/had SC and PSE. In terms of driving fun I’d say each change was an upgrade. In terms of interior gadgetry the .2 is nicer. The 50th is unique in that it is a wide body rear wheel drive car with the Porsche power kit giving it crazy throttle response and the most power of the 3. Plus it’s a limited edition. I don’t think I would have ended up with just a normal .1. I was mega disappointed in the throttle response of the .2S, and the artificial exhaust note with all the pops and burbles. If buying a .2 it would have to be a T with AWS and no sunroof.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 08-21-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-21-2020 | 11:39 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
[...] I was mega disappointed in the throttle response of the .2S, and the artificial exhaust note with all the pops and burbles. If buying a .2 it would have to be a T with AWS and no sunroof.
Y​​​ou think the base engine will be an improvement?
Old 08-21-2020 | 11:55 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by squid42
Y​​​ou think the base engine will be an improvement?
The base engine is known for much less perceptible turbo lag. The lag in the .2S is significant. Plus a manual gearbox T hits the sweet spot in terms of gearing ratios. We also have a base 992 cabrio (the true replacement for our Targa) and the base to me suits the car and keeps the focus on ragtop enjoyment versus track prowess. Our 992 does not have SC or PSE, so you don’t get in it and feel the need to change settings. Plus I like the extra ride height you lose with PASM Sport +. This car is daily driven by my wife who just wants to start it and go without any fuss.

when comparing a .1 and .2 you have to consider the options it has and use it needs to fill. Would I want a stripper .2 over a well optioned .1? Probably not.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 08-21-2020 at 12:00 PM.
slimmn (08-22-2020)
Old 08-21-2020 | 12:03 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

I'm happy just finally being able to jump on the .1 train, coming from a 996. I plan to keep it 5 years, then get a 'last year' .2 in either C2 or C2S form. Who knows what the market will be like then. However, I'm happy with my .1 C2 even for DD purposes. Do you have to "drive" it harder to get more out of it at lower revs/gears? Well, yeah- but isn't that what the 6 or 7MT people are always saying is "better"... You can do it with PDK- I 90% of the time drive mine in Sport, "manual" PDK mode and use the shift lever. Great stuff.
However, having had an F10 BMW 550i, TTV8, the "elevator effect" of a sweet turbo engine is pretty amazing. The power just glides and is so even, I can imagine how enjoyable it is in the .2, especially a GTS or S model.

Interestingly though, yeah as someone pointed out, you'll pay more right now for a .1 than you did when you sold it. Market strongly rebounding.
Old 08-21-2020 | 12:47 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by RSBro
I'm happy just finally being able to jump on the .1 train, coming from a 996. I plan to keep it 5 years, then get a 'last year' .2 in either C2 or C2S form. Who knows what the market will be like then. However, I'm happy with my .1 C2 even for DD purposes. Do you have to "drive" it harder to get more out of it at lower revs/gears? Well, yeah- but isn't that what the 6 or 7MT people are always saying is "better"... You can do it with PDK- I 90% of the time drive mine in Sport, "manual" PDK mode and use the shift lever. Great stuff.
However, having had an F10 BMW 550i, TTV8, the "elevator effect" of a sweet turbo engine is pretty amazing. The power just glides and is so even, I can imagine how enjoyable it is in the .2, especially a GTS or S model.

Interestingly though, yeah as someone pointed out, you'll pay more right now for a .1 than you did when you sold it. Market strongly rebounding.
Yeah but the Porsche engines don't make a sport out of how much oil it consumes like the BMW TT engines... I had a 650 Gran Coupe M sport. The power was ridiculous and it was beautiful but it was a terribly engineered car.
RSBro (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020 | 04:31 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Yeah but the Porsche engines don't make a sport out of how much oil it consumes like the BMW TT engines... I had a 650 Gran Coupe M sport. The power was ridiculous and it was beautiful but it was a terribly engineered car.
Tell me about it... I had the now-infamous N63 engine, where it was literally melting internals in the "hot vee" design. It was a POS for sure, but when it ran, it ran well.
Old 08-22-2020 | 01:27 AM
slimmn
Instructor

Tell me about it... I had the now-infamous N63 engine, where it was literally melting internals in the "hot vee" design. It was a POS for sure, but when it ran, it ran well.
That's why I still love the "old school" straight 6 NA BMW engines. Scared **** of their new stuff.
Old 08-22-2020 | 10:42 AM
garfunkle
Banned

I knew it was time for mine to go when I got back from a 3 hour road trip and the car had a notification to add 3.5 quarts of oil.... Had a 4 year old 126K MSRP car for About a year. Bought at 40K and still lost over 10K in one year.... ouch.
Old 08-22-2020 | 01:29 PM
enve46
Instructor

Just sold my M6 GC with downpipes and tune, talk about gobs of power. I never lost a race to anything. 911 TTS, Ferraris, Lambo's etc, thing was a rocket ship. Never used oil but changed plugs a lot to keep it running like a top. But that **** got boring, quick. Very little soul. I missed the NA of my E90 M3 and thats brought me to my 15 C2S. Its rather nice not having some of the nuances the M cars have presented in the past. Not to mention that flat 6 with PSE.
Old 08-22-2020 | 05:42 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT3FZS
I went from 991.1 Base 7MT to 991.2 T 7MT....no regrets, with PSE and Soul Sport Cats exhaust is almost as satisfying as NA. Almost
I think when you’re talking base models there’s a more significant difference in the two. I never really got why Porsche opted for the 3.4 in the 991 base when the 997 base had a 3.6. And the gearing in the T of course makes the gap even bigger. There is no absolute that 991.2 > 991. All depends on the specific model and options. Have not owned a T but honestly it’s a better choice than a GT4 (new or old) if you find one spec’d right. Those all being similarly powered.
Old 08-23-2020 | 07:26 PM
pullover
Instructor

Sorry to get off topic, Carrera-S 991.1 N.A. - 991.2 Turbos. Any one purchase or have experience with Dodge Hellcat as an alternative?
Thanks, Ed

Quick Reply: Any regrets going to a 991.2 from a 991.1??