Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

used car market is crazy now

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,079 Likes on 449 Posts

I hunted for months to find my perfect Porsche. I thought I wanted a 981 GT4 and drove 2 of them - I liked it a lot but wanted to also try a 911 before finalizing my decision. At this time I also had an allocation for a 718 GT4 for over a year and was getting impatient. Luckily my dealer had a Carrera T with a manual and the GT4 was immediately moved to the back-burner, only problem was color (it was yellow). After deciding on the Carrera T, I spent months looking for my perfect spec with all of the lightweight options (carbon buckets/rear seat delete, no sunroof, manual) and I absolutely love the car and it's been flawless. This is my first Porsche and it means a lot to me after years of hard work.

But... I have noticed this trend right now (seems to be the perfect storm) and am pondering selling my car now and possibly reentering the market for another 911 in 6 months (the chase is part of the fun). Mainly thinking doing this to free up some funds so I can go after some properties. I am so torn though, and I know if I go down this route my wife will think I'm crazy (after bugging her for so long about my hunt for the perfect Porsche). My practical side is battling with the irrational side right now.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:28 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

yeah, my perfect renters for 10 years say they bought a house for 2%,,now i gotta deal with all the BS for new renters,,always cost a boatload of money..and aggravation...time to take a drive and cool down listening to that PSE and PDK do their dance,:}
Old 08-17-2020, 05:18 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 542 Posts

Yup, wait till all that PPP $ is gone and people dont have the $ for insurance or service.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:53 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I hunted for months to find my perfect Porsche. I thought I wanted a 981 GT4 and drove 2 of them - I liked it a lot but wanted to also try a 911 before finalizing my decision. At this time I also had an allocation for a 718 GT4 for over a year and was getting impatient. Luckily my dealer had a Carrera T with a manual and the GT4 was immediately moved to the back-burner, only problem was color (it was yellow). After deciding on the Carrera T, I spent months looking for my perfect spec with all of the lightweight options (carbon buckets/rear seat delete, no sunroof, manual) and I absolutely love the car and it's been flawless. This is my first Porsche and it means a lot to me after years of hard work.

But... I have noticed this trend right now (seems to be the perfect storm) and am pondering selling my car now and possibly reentering the market for another 911 in 6 months (the chase is part of the fun). Mainly thinking doing this to free up some funds so I can go after some properties. I am so torn though, and I know if I go down this route my wife will think I'm crazy (after bugging her for so long about my hunt for the perfect Porsche). My practical side is battling with the irrational side right now.

my wife is telling me the same thing -- lets sell .....

and buy more in a year --- rentals are the best
Old 08-17-2020, 09:19 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

yeah prices are crazy....saw a 13' 991.1 CS at Carmax for 61k with 50k miles on it

In terms of rentals, I would say hold onto your cash and wait after the Nov election. I suspect we will see a drop in real estate market. I've been waiting for a drop to add to my portfolio

Last edited by vodkag; 08-17-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:49 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 112 Posts

Are you freeing up about $100k at most?
Not to sound rude but what property can you buy for that type of $$$.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:41 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R N M
Are you freeing up about $100k at most?
Not to sound rude but what property can you buy for that type of $$$.
Yes, and I don’t live in San Diego anymore so it makes for a nice down payment on a couple rentals in South Carolina. 😎
Old 08-18-2020, 08:19 AM
shockedcape
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, and I don’t live in San Diego anymore so it makes for a nice down payment on a couple rentals in South Carolina. 😎
Have you found rentals to be economically worth the hassle? I've always thought it was just better to use leverage to buy a REIT to achieve the same income with less hassle.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:56 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shockedcape
Have you found rentals to be economically worth the hassle? I've always thought it was just better to use leverage to buy a REIT to achieve the same income with less hassle.
Money is cheap right now and rentals make more sense vs. REIT's in this area. I'm looking at MDU's and want to free up more cash for a down payment.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:03 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

Consumer loan rates are crazy in some cases. Auto loans down around 2% in some cases, but Porsche raised their loan rate from 1.99% to 2.99% last month.
And how about these UHM mortgage rates at 1.75% for 15 years and 1.99% for 30, for those who qualify:
https://www.housingwire.com/articles...-low-as-1-875/
https://www.housingwire.com/articles...ixed-mortgage/

Last edited by PCA1983; 08-18-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:53 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree- I'm glad I was able to buy when I did back in late March before things got really nutty. Everyone seems to be out in a new car nowadays.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:27 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Also noticed the severe lack of inventory. Most of the cars available now are basic builds asking for high prices. Hopefully things normalize around winter but we shall see. I haven't been the greatest at predicting things this year...

I personally think you'll have a hard time finding another one to easily replace. The search will be long and arduous, and likely not worth it if you are going for something similar. I vote for keeping it and making memories...especially with that spec and being your first Porsche.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:24 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

I’ll see how the market is since I have mine listed for sale now. I hope it’s as good as everyone says!
Old 08-18-2020, 02:42 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

I've been tracking the used 991.1S market for about year since I was on the hunt. I bought my car back in March and still track priced for giggles. I'm grateful I found and bought my car when I did since I haven't been able to find a similar spec for the same cost since. The prices dipped a bit in March/April but inventory was low and the prices sprang back up now still with limited inventory.

2014 Carrera S
- 16,500 miles
- Sapphire Blue
- PDK
- Sport Chrono
- PASM Sport
- Porsche Sport Exhaust
- SportDesign steering wheel
- SportDesign front bumper
- SportDesign wheels
- Bi-Xenon PDLS
- 14-way Power Sport Seats
- Black interior
- Glass sunroof
- Power steering plus
- Bose Audio Package
- Full PPF around the car w/ ceramic coating

I think I got a pretty good deal at $74K and haven't found anything specc'd and priced this way since. I would've also loved 18 way seats, SportDesign Mirrors, Duck Tail and Comfort Access. But I've been very happy with the car so far, minus the delaminated door panels.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:37 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Yea this is wild. I see cars asking more than I paid 1.5 years ago.

I might be selling my car in the somewhat near future for an F80 M3, sadly. We just had our first child and I don't see the point in owning the 911 if I will basically just be driving it alone or sitting. CPO warranty ends 5/21. I would get a 7MT 991.2 GTS, S or T once the baby can go in a forward facing seat in a few years.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 08-18-2020 at 05:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
polobai (08-19-2020)

Quick Reply: used car market is crazy now