Sponsored by:

AC Mildew Smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 08:55 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by shadialfar
Its like resident evil, I live in an all year humid hot city, my 911 is 991.1 2015 model, only 20,000km, very neat condition, it has one flaw though, a mild mildew smell comes consistently out of the AC vents, I tried the following procedures:

1- Replaced Filters and AC Gas.
2- Applied Ozon in the Car
3- Had the evaporator replaced by the agency
4- Applied Klima Clean foam in the vents

Nothing helped unfortunately, the smell is still coming out of the vents, mild but consistent.

PLEASE HELP!
Check your frunk. I notice odours from the frunk can get drawn into the cabin.

I stored my car a couple of winters ago and to prevent critters from settling in, I left an open box of fabric softener sheets in the frunk. Took about a year for the smell to dissipate from the car interior.
The following users liked this post:
Kaybat (06-18-2024)
Old 08-16-2020, 03:53 PM
shadialfar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Check your frunk. I notice odours from the frunk can get drawn into the cabin.

I stored my car a couple of winters ago and to prevent critters from settling in, I left an open box of fabric softener sheets in the frunk. Took about a year for the smell to dissipate from the car interior.

The mildew smell comes out of the vents only when the AC is on
Old 08-16-2020, 04:16 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Make sure you're turning your AC off 1-2 minutes before shutting off the car so that your HVAC system has a chance to dry out.

My wife always leaves her auto climate on in her van, so I have to treat it with this stuff every year or two. Works great!

https://www.1z-usa.com/klima-cleaner...l-application/
Old 08-16-2020, 06:00 PM
shadialfar
Track Day

Originally Posted by NiteJav
Make sure the drain lines in your car are not clogged is about the only suggestion I got after you listed what have done so far. Even if they are not clogged make sure they are clean.
How best to clean drain lines?
Old 09-02-2020, 02:49 AM
shadialfar
Track Day

anyone? The smell is still coming out of the vents, I've done practically all of the above.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:59 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

anyone? The smell is still coming out of the vents, I've done practically all of the above.
Have you purchased the AC cleaning solution that I linked above?
Old 09-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Two questions:
1) Do you park outside or is the car stored in a garage?
2) Is the smell persistent of just for the first few minutes when you get going?

I have a similar problem with my cars that I park outside, but it's only for a few minutes at startup.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:15 AM
shadialfar
Track Day

Originally Posted by koala
Have you purchased the AC cleaning solution that I linked above?

Yes!
Old 09-03-2020, 06:16 AM
shadialfar
Track Day

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Two questions:
1) Do you park outside or is the car stored in a garage?
2) Is the smell persistent of just for the first few minutes when you get going?

I have a similar problem with my cars that I park outside, but it's only for a few minutes at startup.
I park outside, and yes it is persistent but very mild, I smell it on my clothes when I get out of the car.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:44 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Yes!
Did it make any difference at all? Some people find they have to do 2-3 cans of that stuff
Old 09-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Two things, park the car in a different angle, condensation builds up in certain angles. My tesla model 3 does this when I don't park in my garage. Second, leave windows open if you can.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:13 PM
3pedalordie
7th Gear

My old VW GTI did this quite a bit, I bought a can of Ozium and misted the car, shut the door with the AC running for 5 minutes so the mist would cycle and it helped a lot, not a permanent fix but if you are out of options it may help.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:57 PM
nstar8
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Had the exact same problem with my Cayenne (12 model with 60k miles). The dealer did the recommended cleaning and the smell is gone. Now occasionally on my 911 (2014, 25K miles) it's starting to smell. The odor is from where the condensation exits the vehicle via a couple of rubber tubes that seem to meld together at times, which creates mold, and hence your smell. You can either take it to the dealer for the recommended service on the AC which occurs every two years, and that should take care of it or try and do it yourself. The dealer charge is somewhere in the 300-400 range for this recommended service. I've done a small bit of research on the 911 as to where those water vapor tubes are located, but have not been able to isolate the location based on my exact model so I can do it myself. I live in Colorado so the AC is not on all the time, hence no smell. But like many others have mentioned, just turn the AC off for a few minutes prior to arriving at your location and that should help. My dealer suggested exactly the same procedures. Not sure if that helps or not since my wife does not do that in the Cayenne and it has not started to smell yet since they serviced it.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:30 AM
shadialfar
Track Day

Originally Posted by nstar8
Had the exact same problem with my Cayenne (12 model with 60k miles). The dealer did the recommended cleaning and the smell is gone. Now occasionally on my 911 (2014, 25K miles) it's starting to smell. The odor is from where the condensation exits the vehicle via a couple of rubber tubes that seem to meld together at times, which creates mold, and hence your smell. You can either take it to the dealer for the recommended service on the AC which occurs every two years, and that should take care of it or try and do it yourself. The dealer charge is somewhere in the 300-400 range for this recommended service. I've done a small bit of research on the 911 as to where those water vapor tubes are located, but have not been able to isolate the location based on my exact model so I can do it myself. I live in Colorado so the AC is not on all the time, hence no smell. But like many others have mentioned, just turn the AC off for a few minutes prior to arriving at your location and that should help. My dealer suggested exactly the same procedures. Not sure if that helps or not since my wife does not do that in the Cayenne and it has not started to smell yet since they serviced it.
I am ready to do any service that is possible, my dealer did not know what can be done, what is the "recommended service" that you are referring to? I did change the whole evaporator and it costed me 5000k USD, so I am not sparing cost, the smell is not going away, I am starting to think should we not sue Porsche for this poor AC design?
Old 09-05-2020, 12:01 PM
nstar8
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I am ready to do any service that is possible, my dealer did not know what can be done, what is the "recommended service" that you are referring to? I did change the whole evaporator and it costed me 5000k USD, so I am not sparing cost, the smell is not going away, I am starting to think should we not sue Porsche for this poor AC design?
The dealer referred to cleaning out the system with Frigi fresh...See attachment of their service write up...

Quick Reply: AC Mildew Smell