Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a 991.1 Carrera S with a replaced PDK??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 10:18 AM
Btcing
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a 991.1 Carrera S with a replaced PDK??

So, my journey of looking for a 991.1 C2S at China continues!

Test drove a C2S today in lime gold metallic, the color looks good in person when clean.

It's built at Dec. 2011 (~30k miles now), history looks pretty normal other than it has a REPLACED PDK at Jan. 2018 (read the record, seems the car can't engage reverse gear).

The dealer told me he had seen several cases of replaced PDK of early 991.1s, and also it is not a broken transmission, but a broken line/censor. But in order to file the case under warranty, the whole PDK is replaced..

So, for this situation:

Pros:
I got a relatively cheaper car
Got a 2 year old PDK for an 8 year old car. (More lifespan/reliability?)

Cons: (That's the thing I'm worrying about)
Will the car run as a unit smoothly as it should be?
Never driven a car with replaced transmission, so don't know how the new mesh will be going..
Lower resale value (with lower price, this one is trivial)

Tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 07-12-2020, 10:29 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

There should be no problems at all with a replaced tranny so do not let that deter you. You search this forum for threads on the topic if you are interested.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:35 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I would not let the replaced trans scare me. It was done at an authorized dealer and you should be good to go. You can always get a Fidelity contract to rest better at night.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1100...ome-story.html
Old 07-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Btcing
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
There should be no problems at all with a replaced tranny so do not let that deter you. You search this forum for threads on the topic if you are interested.
Thanks! Will search for the related threads
Old 07-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Btcing
Track Day

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
I would not let the replaced trans scare me. It was done at an authorized dealer and you should be good to go. You can always get a Fidelity contract to rest better at night.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1100...ome-story.html
Yes I think it is done at authorized dealer.

Thanks! Yes, will also try to pass the "111 points Porsche inspection" and may buy some extended warranty.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,097 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Not an issue. If this was a limited Porsche model, then it may be less desirable to some collectors later on, but for a C2S, that is an advantage. You're getting a fresh transmission that has a lot less wear on it.

Pretty common that if the PDK has an issue it will be replaced since Porsche does not repair them. The owner could have also insisted on a replacement instead of a repair.

I agree with others, get a Fidelity Warranty on a PDK car, unless you have $8k+ (for a refurbished unit) sitting around. Otherwise $4-5k for a Fidelity Platinum warranty is a good buy.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Not an issue. If you like the car buy it.
The following users liked this post:
Btcing (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 12:41 PM
Btcing
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Not an issue. If this was a limited Porsche model, then it may be less desirable to some collectors later on, but for a C2S, that is an advantage. You're getting a fresh transmission that has a lot less wear on it.

Pretty common that if the PDK has an issue it will be replaced since Porsche does not repair them. The owner could have also insisted on a replacement instead of a repair.

I agree with others, get a Fidelity Warranty on a PDK car, unless you have $8k+ (for a refurbished unit) sitting around. Otherwise $4-5k for a Fidelity Platinum warranty is a good buy.
Thanks & good point on the limited & C2S example! Yes I'm planning to use this as a daily/main car.

Yes and will also look into the PDK warranty choices at China - do have $8k+ sitting around though lol

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 991.1 Carrera S with a replaced PDK??